Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where did you put your EzPass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ours didn't work through the Model X windshield so we got the one that mounts to the front license plate. Works great.

frontmount3.jpg

I put mine on the rear left of the passenger side of the windshield next to the cables.
Similar to what Tpham07 said in post 3.
That puts it above and to the right of my right ear.
It does not block any view.

I just returned from a 1,900 mile road trip mostly on the tollways - it worked well.

My wife's Model S required the license plate mounted transponder.
It is mounted inside of the old nose...

Shawn

Ours didn't work through the Model X windshield so we got the one that mounts to the front license plate. Works great.

frontmount3.jpg

I have one like this as well mounted on the rear plate. Too ugly for the front of the car. Works almost always, but have had it miss a few times mounted on the rear.

Thinking about mounting it under the nose of the car and seeing if that works.

WOuld also like to hear some options. Put ours in the glovebox but not sure if it goes off when needed

Not sure if this was meant to be funny, but I doubt this will work. That said, this is where I keep mine, and I only pull it out when I need it. When I need it, I place it on the dashboard near the front windshield. However I don't need it every day - I only need it for specific routes once in a while.

Someone told me that it does not really matter because the cameras shoot your rear plate and cross reference it anyway to see if you are registered. Not sure if this is true or not.

Not sure if this was meant to be funny, but I doubt this will work. That said, this is where I keep mine, and I only pull it out when I need it. When I need it, I place it on the dashboard near the front windshield. However I don't need it every day - I only need it for specific routes once in a while.

Someone told me that it does not really matter because the cameras shoot your rear plate and cross reference it anyway to see if you are registered. Not sure if this is true or not.
Lol I was being serious. We have our plates registered though so it only would make a difference on toll roads that give free passage to Tesla's.

With my first Tesla, an S P85, I never installed the front license plate, because it looked pretty bad on the black nosecone. I relied on an EZ tag mounted on the inside of the windshield - which worked, but sometimes struggled to be detected. Our local toll road system periodically falls back on license plate detection when we drive past the toll tag sensors. And for our neighborhood gate (that is triggered by the EZ tag), we have to be directly under the sensor to get the tag detected.

With our S 100D (without the black nose cone), decided to go with a front license plate - and the EZ tag bar. And that has worked much better. The tag is reliably detected by the toll road sensors - and for our neighborhood gate, our car is detected much earlier, so we don't have to stop and wait for the gate to open.

I'd strongly recommend using an EZ tag bar - and now that I've lived with having the front license plate on our S 100D for a year, it's really not that big of a deal - and certainly worth not looking over my shoulder every time I pass a police car to see if they're bored enough to pull me over and write me up for not having a front license plate...

Mine is in glove box and works fine ...as others have stated back up defaults to license plate ...I don’t have one of those transponders where you can switch from 1-3 so not really issue leaving in glove box as I never had a misread