TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Where did you put your EzPass?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by bell2041, May 24, 2018.

1. bell2041

bell2041 Member

Hi, guys. Please share where did you "glue" your EzPass? The X has a super awesome windshield, so I hate blocking any part of it with EzPass

Thx.

2. Helmuth

Helmuth Member

Below the cameras housing. Visibility is blocked by the rear view mirror.
    You could put it at the lower corner, too. I wouldn’t think about the tinted upper part though...

3. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

someone I know put theirs at the top of the windshield where the mirror cable meets the car.

4. pkodali

pkodali Banned

WOuld also like to hear some options. Put ours in the glovebox but not sure if it goes off when needed

• Funny x 1
  5. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Ours didn't work through the Model X windshield so we got the one that mounts to the front license plate. Works great.

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
  6. ShawnA

ShawnA Member

I put mine on the rear left of the passenger side of the windshield next to the cables.
    Similar to what Tpham07 said in post 3.
    That puts it above and to the right of my right ear.
    It does not block any view.

I just returned from a 1,900 mile road trip mostly on the tollways - it worked well.

My wife's Model S required the license plate mounted transponder.
    It is mounted inside of the old nose...

Shawn

7. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

I have one like this as well mounted on the rear plate. Too ugly for the front of the car. Works almost always, but have had it miss a few times mounted on the rear.

Thinking about mounting it under the nose of the car and seeing if that works.

8. AdamHLG

AdamHLG Member

Not sure if this was meant to be funny, but I doubt this will work. That said, this is where I keep mine, and I only pull it out when I need it. When I need it, I place it on the dashboard near the front windshield. However I don't need it every day - I only need it for specific routes once in a while.

Someone told me that it does not really matter because the cameras shoot your rear plate and cross reference it anyway to see if you are registered. Not sure if this is true or not.

9. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

Mine is to the right of AP housing
    Works pretty much 100%
    I had major problems with it on Model S though

• Like x 1
  10. pkodali

pkodali Banned

Lol I was being serious. We have our plates registered though so it only would make a difference on toll roads that give free passage to Tesla's.

11. XHabjab

XHabjab Helping to end the ICE Age

What toll roads give a free ride to Teslas? I wanna go there and get my freebee.

Just because.

12. pkodali

pkodali Banned

In the bay area, a couple of highways have express lanes that are free if you change the transponder switch to 3 persons+ or EV

13. travwill

travwill Active Member

I put mine behind my head to the left, all the way in the back left corner of the glass, works fine, i don't see it, and isn't noticeable really. It is a smaller square thin box now here in IL.

14. Mjølner

Mjølner Member

15. GEAUXHOOKEM

GEAUXHOOKEM Member

I have the bar that goes on the front license plate, but I'm not installing a front license plate kit on my X. I'm going to install the bar behind the front bumper like this:

• Love x 1
  16. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

With my first Tesla, an S P85, I never installed the front license plate, because it looked pretty bad on the black nosecone. I relied on an EZ tag mounted on the inside of the windshield - which worked, but sometimes struggled to be detected. Our local toll road system periodically falls back on license plate detection when we drive past the toll tag sensors. And for our neighborhood gate (that is triggered by the EZ tag), we have to be directly under the sensor to get the tag detected.

With our S 100D (without the black nose cone), decided to go with a front license plate - and the EZ tag bar. And that has worked much better. The tag is reliably detected by the toll road sensors - and for our neighborhood gate, our car is detected much earlier, so we don't have to stop and wait for the gate to open.

I'd strongly recommend using an EZ tag bar - and now that I've lived with having the front license plate on our S 100D for a year, it's really not that big of a deal - and certainly worth not looking over my shoulder every time I pass a police car to see if they're bored enough to pull me over and write me up for not having a front license plate...

17. swgdan

swgdan Member

RFID Install.png

• Informative x 3
  18. AdamHLG

AdamHLG Member

I may need to do this. How do u know if it's working or if it's reading your plate instead?

19. Travler

Travler Member

I put mine beside the mount for the rear-view mirror, on the passenger side. It seems to work.

20. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Mine is in glove box and works fine ...as others have stated back up defaults to license plate ...I don’t have one of those transponders where you can switch from 1-3 so not really issue leaving in glove box as I never had a misread