Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, my dad bought a new Tesla Model S 100D Sedan 4D in September 2017. He passed away half a year ago and I am wondering how I can best sell his Tesla. It is in excellent condition, has many upgrades and was $113,000 originally.
Tesla is not going to buy it back, they only do trades. CarMax and Carvana are offering way below what it's worth.
It's hard to sell it privately because it's an expensive luxury car.

IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0583.JPG

Agree with @glide, you likely have unrealistic expectations about the car’s worth given the information in your post.

The $113k original price is irrelevant - consider the equivalent new car from Tesla currently starts at $75k, goes 70 miles farther on a charge, and has countless other upgrades.

onlyusedtesla.com is a good rec if you want to go through the effort of selling it privately. Otherwise, Carmax or Carvana are your best bet to move on quickly.

What do you think the car is worth?

Reactions: TFCooper3
Maybe it was total cost $113,000 originally, but that might have included shipping, taxes, registration and minus a $7,500 tax credit. Never gonna get all that back.

New Model S is much less expensive and has major improvements that make the older ones less valuable.

Gotta learn to be reasonable and realistic on what it is worth on the used market.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Hi, my dad bought a new Tesla Model S 100D Sedan 4D in September 2017. He passed away half a year ago and I am wondering how I can best sell his Tesla. It is in excellent condition, has many upgrades and was $113,000 originally.
Tesla is not going to buy it back, they only do trades. CarMax and Carvana are offering way below what it's worth.

View attachment 560465 View attachment 560466

hate to break it to you but a better version of this car with the same 100kw battery (look up raven model S) can be bought for $75k right now, so chances are you won't be able to recoop much of that $113k. What are they offering you for the car?

View attachment 560465 View attachment 560466

Can you share the full list of upgrades and what the offers have been?

What is now stock in a $75k base model S that is was not included a base 2017 100D?

67 miles more range (87 more miles including the degradation I had)
Adaptive air suspension
Premium seats and alcantra headliner
0.5 seconds faster to 60mph
Sub-zero weather package
Premium audio
MCU2

Your dad's car fully loaded will still have had MCU1, non-adaptive air, and 70 miles less range and 0.5s less acceleration to 60. Even if his car had zero miles, you still need to subtract the value of those features from $75k to compare to cars now, and then subtract for age and miles, and then subtract for the markdown for trade-in resale profit. You can add back in the value of EAP features that aren't in standard AP, and FSD as well if he got that, although trade-ins rarely give you much value for the software, you'll need a private party buyer who values those to get value out of them.

Here is my recent experience.

2017 100D Blue/EAP only options. Textile seats, coils. Pre accleration upgrade (June build, they made the cars faster with hardware update in July, yours is sept but I think the 100D was a pretty marginal improvement) so 4.2s 0-60, 2.0 AP hardware (yours might be 2.5). new sticker was $98,500. 53K miles. Fair to good condition. KBB trade in range was 46k-56k. Tesla offered me $40.5k on the trade in, Carmax offered me $46k (which I accepted). I believe i could have gotten maybe $52k private if I had gone through the effort.

Would interesting to gauge your expectations going in.

And...I'm sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TFCooper3