TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Where do I go to get Daytime Running Lights back???

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Buckeye4, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Buckeye4

Buckeye4 Member

My 2016 X last couple of updates featuring dog mode enhancements mentioned nothing much else. Yet driving at dusk, I noticed I'm completely dark, no headlights even when set to auto, and worst of all no DRL. Hope whoever took the safety enhancement is enjoying it. As far as I can see, there is no way to get them back. Help!

2. ValleyGeek

ValleyGeek Member

That's very odd indeed, do they come on when you manually set them to the "driving" position? It should be on the first screen when you open the menu on the MCU or under the "Lighting" category on the left in that menu.

3. RecklessFury

RecklessFury Member

Also verify that you are not in range mode. Range mode disables the running light from my understanding.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. ShawnA

ShawnA Member

Hi Buckeye4,

Your only choices currently are to manually turn on parking lights and headlights...

It seems your sensor or light controller has died - it's time for service...

This looks like an issue where one of their mobile service personnel could help...

Good luck,

Shawn

5. dashrb

dashrb Member

RecklessFury is right: enabling range mode disables DRL in the X (but not in the S). Unclear why, those lights can't be a big drain on battery, and certainly reduce safety.

6. Buckeye4

Buckeye4 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. The lights turn on manually and stay on and complain when I park if not turned off manually. Not in Range mode, never have been. Seeing the lights come on mostly when parked in shade and fail during drive if hot. Have an appt for service.

7. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

Hmmm, never happened in my MX. I keep range mode on and doesn't affect running lights from what I have ever seen. Maybe depends on software version, maybe not, yet I've gone through a bunch of updates with no change.

8. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

Right, however, the lights will still turn off anyway when you leave the car and walk away.

9. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

This happened to me once back when the car was just 4 months old. I could get the lights to turn on if I toggled the high beams on and then they would turn off again after a few minutes.

I did the power off button and waited 5 minutes and then pressed the brake to turn the car on again. Has never done this again.

• Like x 1
  10. Buckeye4

Buckeye4 Member

That sounds like a winner. I'll add a couple of reboots for good measure and let you know. Thanks a lot.

11. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

Maybe US region only problem?
    Im in Canada and I always have DRL due to the law requires it here
    Its always on regardless of the range mode

12. Buckeye4

Buckeye4 Member

I did the power off button and waited 5 minutes and then pressed the brake to turn the car on again. Has never done this again.
    Sorry to report: No Joy.
    In contact with Service Team reviewing the logs.