Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do I go to get Daytime Running Lights back???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 X last couple of updates featuring dog mode enhancements mentioned nothing much else. Yet driving at dusk, I noticed I'm completely dark, no headlights even when set to auto, and worst of all no DRL. Hope whoever took the safety enhancement is enjoying it. As far as I can see, there is no way to get them back. Help!

Hi Buckeye4,

Your only choices currently are to manually turn on parking lights and headlights...

It seems your sensor or light controller has died - it's time for service...

This looks like an issue where one of their mobile service personnel could help...

Good luck,

Shawn

Thanks for the suggestions. The lights turn on manually and stay on and complain when I park if not turned off manually. Not in Range mode, never have been. Seeing the lights come on mostly when parked in shade and fail during drive if hot. Have an appt for service.

My 2016 X last couple of updates featuring dog mode enhancements mentioned nothing much else. Yet driving at dusk, I noticed I'm completely dark, no headlights even when set to auto, and worst of all no DRL. Hope whoever took the safety enhancement is enjoying it. As far as I can see, there is no way to get them back. Help!
This happened to me once back when the car was just 4 months old. I could get the lights to turn on if I toggled the high beams on and then they would turn off again after a few minutes.

I did the power off button and waited 5 minutes and then pressed the brake to turn the car on again. Has never done this again.

Reactions: OregonX Guy
Well Service looked at the DRL "Signature" lights otherwise known as Daytime Running Lights and said I should be glad to be saving power by having them switch off 4 minutes into every trip. It's a Feature not a Bug. And I'm not supposed to choke on all the smoke being blown up my anatomy.

I guess I'm not alone, starting to notice a few other X's running without benefit of DRLs. Wonder how many other drivers are aware? Probably not too many judging by the lack of notice on this and other boards.

Some typical screen shots: DRLs on up to 4 minutes into a trip; Off after.

IMG_2852.jpg
IMG_2842.jpg
This is borderline pathetic. Quality Control wherefore art thou?

Am I the problem for fuzzing up the nomenclature?

I am specifically puzzled about the headlight icon on your instrument clusters.

I am assuming you would like all lights are on during daylight, am I correct?

My understanding is headlights are meant to be bright enough to illuminate the road while DRL are dim lights at the front of the vehicle and are not meant to be bright enough to illuminate the road.

The instrument cluster does tell us whether the bright headlights are on or off. When the headlight icon is on it also means the rear lights are on and DRL are on too.

However, there is no specific icon for DRL---those dim lights at the front of the vehicle not meant to illuminate the road.

So, by showing your instrument clusters, how do I know whether your DRL is on or off when the headlight icons are off?

DRL is not the same as Headlight. Some stretches in California, turning on DRL is not enough, you have to turn on headlights even in daylight.

19401_8e2a98c6b30c4ed89609466c37896ee5_1526499524.jpeg

Yeah, Tam, It's complicated. What I sense from the dash is that initially, enough lights are on to illuminate the roadway, so obviously, there's enough light to be seen from a distance. Later, there seems to be no light at all. I will verify this with exterior shots taken by the wife I hope. So more to come...

Well Service looked at the DRL "Signature" lights otherwise known as Daytime Running Lights and said I should be glad to be saving power by having them switch off 4 minutes into every trip. It's a Feature not a Bug. And I'm not supposed to choke on all the smoke being blown up my anatomy.

I guess I'm not alone, starting to notice a few other X's running without benefit of DRLs. Wonder how many other drivers are aware? Probably not too many judging by the lack of notice on this and other boards.

Some typical screen shots: DRLs on up to 4 minutes into a trip; Off after.

View attachment 432379 View attachment 432378 This is borderline pathetic. Quality Control wherefore art thou?

I think your Service Center is providing you with incorrect information. There is no display indicator on the Instrument Cluster for DRLs.

Your top screenshot indicates that your headlights are illuminated. This is confirmed by the Green headlight icon on the top left as well as the white “glow” in the front of the car rendering.

Your second screenshot indicates that your headlights are off (no green light icon or white glow), probably because you’re driving during the day.

DLRs for U.S. cars is controlled by Range Mode as mentioned in previous threads. If you have Range Mode “off” your DLRs should be illuminated. If they are not, you have an issue. Have someone drove in front of you to confirm.

• Helpful
Reactions: Acps110