Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do I sell a dying MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 MS (pre autopilot) has 185k miles. The motor is making a whirring noise indicating it’s on its way out. My battery that was replaced last June (while still under warranty) but was told by Tesla service last week that it has a 20% internal voltage difference which is more than expected. She still runs fine but I’m confident it won’t be running this time next year. I’m ready to get rid of her but unsure the best place to sell a failing MS. She’s not ready for the junk yard but won’t want to sell to anyone I like.

Other than eBay, any suggestions?

Thanks for the recommendations folks :)

We buy used Model S all the time, but usually as a last resort for customers who just want out. We don't resell many cars (< 5 yr), so if it's running and working you can almost always do a little better on the private markets... although they've kind of tanked lately.

We usually suggest getting the car to us (we can help) for an overall inspection/diagnosis. Then we can present options for repairs if you want to go that route, along with a buyout option usually. Generally our buyout is a bit lower than market, minus repair costs. So if you need a motor and battery, but everything is running now with no errors, you'd be looking at roughly market price minus ~$12k or so right now (and by right now I mean right now... this changes all the time), depending on the exact specs (a 60 with a bad battery is worth less than an 85, base less than performance, etc etc etc).