Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do I start.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to forum.Where do I start.
Have had the chance over the last few years to drive Model S my friend has.
I have always owned 1 roadster.Almost bought a P 110 D but was waiting for Tesla to build a Roadster again.
What they are showing of the new Roadster is more than I imagined.
Put 50K down and now I wait.
Service center is 460 miles away.How do forum members deal with service from remote location?
No Superchargers in my state.My friend travels by charging at peoples homes who have a Tesla.He does the same for people at his house.Looks like the have been planing Superchargers for the last two years in our area but still not here.
Does anyone know what plans are for expansion of network?
Any information or tips on ownership would be appreciated?
I'm plowing through Posts to learn about the cars.
Thank You

I expect the supercharger network will continue to expand quite rapidly.
Sure it will expand faster in California where there are a huge number of Teslas... But I expect them to also add new routes also both for existing owners to travel and to get new sales.

Supercharge.info is a good place to keep track of progress such as permits.

I expect the supercharger network will continue to expand quite rapidly.
Sure it will expand faster in California where there are a huge number of Teslas... But I expect them to also add new routes also both for existing owners to travel and to get new sales.

Supercharge.info is a good place to keep track of progress such as permits.

Example of my area.Miles City to Winnipeg is all interstate Hwy.576 miles with no Superchargers.
Hopefully we will have some by the time I get my roadster.

I have always owned 1 roadster.
Have been going through posts.Like forum but is different than most I have been on.

My interest is in performance.All forums I have been on revolve around this.The ICE Roadster I have now is 800HP.
Car is tracked.
Have seen some posts about ICE that are incorrect.Posted by people who do not seem to have knowledge of ICE.
I have never seen posts where people would like Roadster with less power.
Really like the Technical posts.
I enjoy the enthusiasm most have for their Tesla.

I've been with this forum since almost the beginning. I pre-ordered the original Roadster back in 2006, then waited, waited, there were delays, transmissions were breaking, there were doubts about Tesla surviving, the founder and CEO was given the boot and some "Musk" guy nobody had heard of took over… And I cancelled my order, in large part because I became burnt out from all the drama. The fun had already gone out.

Several years later, I found that I had recovered from all that and still wanted one. I found a 2010 year model, Roadster 2.5 on eBay and had it shipped. It's been fantastic.

One reason I haven't pre-ordered the new Roadster is because I don't want to subject myself to another drama ride. I'm playing it cool this time. I don't have to be the first in line. But do I want one? Oh yeah, how could I not want one?

I've been with this forum since almost the beginning. I pre-ordered the original Roadster back in 2006, then waited, waited, there were delays, transmissions were breaking, there were doubts about Tesla surviving, the founder and CEO was given the boot and some "Musk" guy nobody had heard of took over… And I cancelled my order, in large part because I became burnt out from all the drama. The fun had already gone out.

Several years later, I found that I had recovered from all that and still wanted one. I found a 2010 year model, Roadster 2.5 on eBay and had it shipped. It's been fantastic.

One reason I haven't pre-ordered the new Roadster is because I don't want to subject myself to another drama ride. I'm playing it cool this time. I don't have to be the first in line. But do I want one? Oh yeah, how could I not want one?

I hear you on that.
I would like the car to come out.Work out bugs and then buy used one for $135,000.
I'm in my 60's and do not have 5 years for that to happen.So I got in line.My guess would be two years before I see the car.

Don’t over think it... any of it...
The Roadster 2020 will be a decade ahead of anything from the automotive industry (even including Tesla).

If you actually have a reservation, congrats. There are hundred of thousands of happy (ecstatic/jubilant) Tesla owners who moved on beyond concerns about service and Supercharger, you will be fine!! The Roadster 2020 will most mind-altering product to come from America in two generations (coming from a Roadster 1.5 owner)!!

Don’t over think it... any of it...
The Roadster 2020 will be a decade ahead of anything from the automotive industry (even including Tesla).

If you actually have a reservation, congrats. There are hundred of thousands of happy (ecstatic/jubilant) Tesla owners who moved on beyond concerns about service and Supercharger, you will be fine!! The Roadster 2020 will most mind-altering product to come from America in two generations (coming from a Roadster 1.5 owner)!!
Yes I actually have a reservation.
Did not want to miss out on a watershed moment in automobile history.

So, first a clarification... "Tesla Time" is the time you budget during your travels to talk to the random public about the car. "Elon Time" is the extra time you budget to get the car in the first place.

I don't have one of the new Roadster reservations, at least not currently. Mostly, I don't want to tie up that much money for that long, and frankly I don't see how the new car, any new car, would have the character of the original. But having a car that can go 600 miles on a charge, in style (in all of what that means), is certainly appealing. So, if after they're being produced I am in "need" (desire), and able to travel, I might go for one. But I'm keeping the original, regardless.

Reactions: TEG and dhrivnak
Have had the chance over the last few years to drive Model S my friend has.
I have always owned 1 roadster.Almost bought a P 110 D but was waiting for Tesla to build a Roadster again.
What they are showing of the new Roadster is more than I imagined.
Put 50K down and now I wait.
Service center is 460 miles away.How do forum members deal with service from remote location?
No Superchargers in my state.My friend travels by charging at peoples homes who have a Tesla.He does the same for people at his house.Looks like the have been planing Superchargers for the last two years in our area but still not here.
Does anyone know what plans are for expansion of network?
Any information or tips on ownership would be appreciated?
I'm plowing through Posts to learn about the cars.
Thank You

I’m in the same boat as you.
The only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger is because I don’t know how long the wait will be.
I’m also concerned the $200K version will be like the illusive $35K Model 3.
In fact, the roadster is no longer listed on the homepage.
It’s there, but you have to link to it directly at www.Tesla.com/roadster
As for charging I wouldnt worry about it.
I’m in Okla. which is also charger challenged. We charge our Model3 to 80% every evening and Range is never an issue.

Also concerned about weight and wait.Would like to see prototype on a track.
Has been a year since introduction.How about an update on car.Will it be a true roadster or will it stay a Targa top?
I'm also lucky to have an 800HP Sports car ICE to play with while I wait.

Also concerned about weight

Just concerned it will be heavy? My guess - it's gonna be heavy and it's not going to be all that good on the track. But very, very few street cars are any good on the track. Car mags have us duped in to thinking there's such as thing as a "street legal race car". I too believed this when I owned a GT3 RS. Sold that and "downgraded" to a Radical SR3 - that's a race car. The Tesla will be heavy and fast. That's not all that fun on the track. None the less my deposit is down because it's going to be a terrific road car. And yes, mine will see the track from time to time ;).

Well, my ICE cars include a 650s and an Atom. As such, no intention of tracking the Tesla roadster, but hate the feel of a heavy car for spirited road driving. In the UK, there are excellent tight B roads and roundabouts which really expose heavyweights, no matter how quick they are in a straight line.

Just concerned it will be heavy? My guess - it's gonna be heavy and it's not going to be all that good on the track. But very, very few street cars are any good on the track. Car mags have us duped in to thinking there's such as thing as a "street legal race car". I too believed this when I owned a GT3 RS. Sold that and "downgraded" to a Radical SR3 - that's a race car. The Tesla will be heavy and fast. That's not all that fun on the track. None the less my deposit is down because it's going to be a terrific road car. And yes, mine will see the track from time to time ;).
Great. Now you've gone and peer-pressured me into putting a deposit down, as well. :p

You def need one.
I like your use of the word "need."

I still can't figure out if the founder's model makes any sense. The lease on my current S isn't up until like September of 2021, so I'm in no rush to be first in line. [Insert "Tesla time" joke here]. And I'm still not clear on what the extra 50k gets you, other than the cool factor.

But, yeah, by the time my lease is up my kids will be driving themselves (horrifying thought) and off to college soon after that (fingers crossed). It'll be the first time in a long time where I'm not compelled to drive a full-sized four door vehicle. So a roadster is both on the menu from a practical standpoint, and within budget.

The only drawback I can think of (besides being in a perpetual state of whiplash) is that I've run all my leases through work using (largely) pretax dollars, which also allowed me to get a new vehicle every three years. I'm a little nervous about using after-tax dollars and then owning the roadster... because what if something even cooler comes out three years after that?