Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do I view Sentry Mode clips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my Model S on 12/23 and what a Christmas present it was!! Can’t tell you all how much fun I’m having. But I do have a question that I haven’t been able to answer, even after numerous searches and readings of the owners manual. I received a Sentry Mode alert and wanted to view it so I went to Controls but there is no View Clips option available for me there. I have been able to view the video by inserting the USB drive into my home computer, so I know the video recording is happening. BTW, I’m running V11.

Anybody have this same experience? Better yet, can anyone tell this newbie what he’s done wrong? :)

Reactions: hiroshiy
Hello - just joined the club with my Model 3! How to delete all these recordings at once, not going one by one, please? You mentioned USB drive, is there an app - how do you view them on your home PC and can you delete from there? Thanks
Implemented in 2021.44.25 or later for Models S and 3 with MCU2. Controls > Safety > Dashcam > Delete Dashcam Clips. Another way is take the USB and plug into your computer. It will show up just like a drive, and you can go and delete the multiple clips in each folder on the USB drive.

Upvote 0
Controls > Safety > Dashcam > Delete Dashcam Clips.
Does that delete Sentry clips, Dashcam clips or both? The way I understood that functionality is that it just deletes the Dashcam clips which are different than Sentry clips.

You can also just reformat the drive from the same screen mentioned in the quote. However, that will remove everything, so make sure it is what you want to do.

Upvote 0
Does that delete Sentry clips, Dashcam clips or both? The way I understood that functionality is that it just deletes the Dashcam clips which are different than Sentry clips.

You can also just reformat the drive from the same screen mentioned in the quote. However, that will remove everything, so make sure it is what you want to do.
It deletes all clips from all folders in the TeslaCam folder. This includes all files in the RecentClips, SavedClips, and
SentryClips folders. RecentClips is the last 60 minutes of activity while the Dash Cam is on, and rewrites over itself every 60 minutes. SavedClips are Dash Cam clips that you save or that the system saves if you have Save On Honk turned on. SentryClips are Sentry Events that are recorded by Sentry. The "last" Sentry Event is also supposed to be sent to Tesla in case there was an illegal event. I don't know how that works.

There is also the option to format the USB drive from this same Security option from the controls menu.

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja
Upvote 0
It deletes all clips from all folders in the TeslaCam folder. This includes all files in the RecentClips, SavedClips, and
SentryClips folders. RecentClips is the last 60 minutes of activity while the Dash Cam is on, and rewrites over itself every 60 minutes. SavedClips are Dash Cam clips that you save or that the system saves if you have Save On Honk turned on. SentryClips are Sentry Events that are recorded by Sentry. The "last" Sentry Event is also supposed to be sent to Tesla in case there was an illegal event. I don't know how that works.

There is also the option to format the USB drive from this same Security option from the controls menu.
That is interesting. Clicking that button, I would have not figured Sentry clips are removed - since they are "grouped" different than Dashcam clips. Appreciate that information.

Which then makes me wonder, what is the difference between that button and the format button. Both do 99% the something, the other 1% the "format" button does is formatting and recreating the TeslaCam folder.

Upvote 0
That is interesting. Clicking that button, I would have not figured Sentry clips are removed - since they are "grouped" different than Dashcam clips. Appreciate that information.

Which then makes me wonder, what is the difference between that button and the format button. Both do 99% the something, the other 1% the "format" button does is formatting and recreating the TeslaCam folder.
The format button takes any USB drive, and erases everything, formats the drive, and puts the proper folders on the drive to work. In the old days a few months ago, we had to get our own USB drive, format it on our computers and add the folders. It was a mess. You may want a larger drive than what Tesla gave you. I still take my USB stick and use my computer to do all this anyway, as it is much faster if you know what you are doing. I have some Sentry and Dash Cam event I do not want to lose, so I can copy them to my computer or just erase everything but those I want to keep. These things you can't do with the built-in features.

Upvote 0
The format button takes any USB drive, and erases everything, formats the drive, and puts the proper folders on the drive to work. In the old days a few months ago, we had to get our own USB drive, format it on our computers and add the folders. It was a mess. You may want a larger drive than what Tesla gave you. I still take my USB stick and use my computer to do all this anyway, as it is much faster if you know what you are doing. I have some Sentry and Dash Cam event I do not want to lose, so I can copy them to my computer or just erase everything but those I want to keep. These things you can't do with the built-in features.
Definitely remember the "old" days of having to do the formatting and clearing of the drive on your own computer. What a hassle 🤪

Alright, I can see the use-cases now. Format being any new device you might want to prep / use for TeslaCam, but can also format and a previously used drive. However, if you just want to clear all the clips, the other button will achieve that. Got it 👍🏼

Upvote 0
Does anyone know how to view clips in MS-Plaid w/ v11? I can turn sentry and dashcam on/off from controls, but I can’t see how to view clips.

475C5665-5D06-48E8-B3F2-A585CCD0057F.jpeg

Upvote 0
Try going into Safety instead of Controls, or tap the recording button, don't push.

Thanks for the help, I just tried tapping and tapping and holding. Both give the same result, which is to toggle sentry on and off, and dashcam saves the current footage when you tap it. In Safety there are some options for Sentry mode, and deleting dashcam files, but I didn't see anything for viewing there.

Good news though! I found the icon for it in the system tray/start bar/app-launcher or whatever we're calling that bar at the bottom.

Thanks again for the assist!

IMG_2422.jpg

Upvote 0
I just did some testing on my 2022 Model Y with 2021.44.30. First, the Dashcam viewing app was not available while Sentry mode was turned ON. Once I turned it off the icon was there (3 dot button to pull up Apps) and I could view the clips. If I turned Sentry mode back on while in the viewing App I would get a never ending wait circle. So to view clips Sentry Mode must be OFF.

Second, I confirmed that using the Delete Dashcam Clips button deleted BOTH Dashcam and Sentry Mode clips.

• Helpful
Reactions: cwanja
Upvote 0