Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do inventory cars come from

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told that the inventory cars are either demo cars; loaner cars; or cars that someone ordered and then cancelled their order. When someone cancels their order do they just loose their deposit or do they get hit with an additional penalty. If they loose their deposit then why does the price for the inventory car not reflect a discount for the deposit as TESLA already has that money?

I think there are very few of those cars that are from a sale that fell through. But the car would be discounted by its age and if it had any miles as a loaner/demo. Tesla is gonna keep that deposit to help offset any loss in value due to age. A car that sits for 2.5 months would already be discounted ~$2500 or more.

Inventory is not CPO. Inventory are new D and non-D models with no miles yet. The older CPOs seem to have moved into the loaner pool and new cars kept as-new. The Tesla store near me has inventory cars that at times have in-sequence Vin #s. That doesn't happen when you have cancelled orders. They have had small sets of in-series Vin #s numerous times over the last year or two. They are placed on the lot for sale to anyone who wants them. There were a lot of them built in January 2016, actually. Go to the ev-cpo.com web site. Sort by Vin # and see the occasional in-series numbers. The block between 130074-130088 is an interesting block of inventory vin #s. The whole series of 1299xx seem related to a setup of what I call a "spray" of inventory cars built and deployed. It just appears to be a transition period for Tesla from all cars built were customer orders to a mix of customer orders and inventory to supply the sales galleries with ready-to-sell inventory. There is no way Tesla can grow without having inventory cars on the lots ready to sell for those who like to drive and purchase "today" rather than custom ordering something. Right now, I suspect Model X are 50% of all production, 30% customer orders and 20% inventory cars. Just guessing on the actual #s but it would seem to be something like this.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brianman
Yes, Morrison - some inventory cars have some test-drive or loaner miles. However, the intention now is to keep that low and get loaner drivers into CPOs. It is more economical for Tesla to put miles on the older cars than new ones. All Inventory can be sold as new cars and get all tax credits and rebates - even with thousands of test-drive miles. Tesla can also write-off those miles at the IRS rate of .54 per mile - though they tend to lower the sale price by $1/mile or so.

Yes, Morrison - some inventory cars have some test-drive or loaner miles. However, the intention now is to keep that low and get loaner drivers into CPOs. It is more economical for Tesla to put miles on the older cars than new ones. All Inventory can be sold as new cars and get all tax credits and rebates - even with thousands of test-drive miles. Tesla can also write-off those miles at the IRS rate of .54 per mile - though they tend to lower the sale price by $1/mile or so.

If inventory cars have over 1500 miles, they can't be registered as new in Colorado. It's a gray area so Colorado buyers tend to stay away from inventory cars with more than 1500 miles on them to be sure they can get the entire $7500 federal and $6000 in state tax credits. Fortunately in Colorado, the $6000 can also be claimed on some CPO cars.

CO has very rich credit possibilities. I'm sure CO sales galleries keep the new vehicles under 1500 miles. But that is one state among many where in 49 other states, the 1500 mile limit is not an issue. What is almost silly in CO is that importing a Used car from out of state and when you register it, you can get the state's $6000 credit. Even on heavily used Leafs brought in with 100,000 miles bought from out of state for perhaps $8000.

"Where do inventory cars come from?
spon_stork-268x191.jpg

Well you see When a mommy Tesla and a daddy Tesla love each other very much....

Is it my imagination, or is Tesla doing more to sell from inventory? I may be late to have noticed this, but I just noticed today that the Tesla Motors Model S web page now has three options (top right corner): "Buy Pre-Owned," "Buy New" (new), and "Custom Order". So far as I recall -- and I agree I have not watched this page as much since I got my car -- there were formerly only two choices -- order new or pre-owned. And didn't the CPO site have the pre-owned mixed in? At least lately.
Anyway, having the web page offer up specific inventory cars seems to be somewhat new. It used to be you had to ask a sales guy, and you could not see the list. At least up through last fall when I ordered.
My apologies if this is old news to everyone else...