TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where do my feet go during autopilot?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sbtz, Oct 8, 2016.

1. sbtz

sbtz Member

Yeah, I know it sounds silly, and maybe it'll change as I learn to trust Autopilot... but where are my feet supposed to go when Autopilot is enabled? Right now (day two), I have my foot hovering over the brake pedal - for obvious reasons, this is fatiguing and probably not ideal. I'd hate to have both my feet back if I have to brake hard.

2. outie

outie Member

I know what you mean. As an AP beginner I am still hovering my feet over the brake / accel pedal (as if I am not using AP) and it does get tired after a short while. If the road condition is clear / good I just rest the feet on the floor though. I would like to hear what others do.

3. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Where do feet go while using standard cruise control?

• Like x 2
  4. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

In the Golf I had a right-foot-rest, neatly placed that I could easily move foot to Accelerator or Brake (as well as a left-foot rest, which might only be a stick-shift thing). Used it whenever I was on cruise control.

Personally I'd like to have that in the MS too.

• Like x 1
  5. LastGas

LastGas Member

Just put it somewhere comfortable.

6. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

Mine are usually kicked up on the dash. Alcantara feels so nice against the soles of your feet.

I kid. AP police please stand down.

• Funny x 7
  7. Plug Life

Plug Life Member

Out of the window?

• Funny x 1
  8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

If I'm near other heavy traffic I'll keep it resting lightly on the accelerator (but not pressing it), just as if I were driving manually. That way I can get to the brake like normal if needed.

If on the open road or in normal traffic (people not cutting in) just moving along they're on the floor. I have my following distance set to 6 or 7, depending on how antsy traffic is.

For hands, if I'm near other cars or obstructions I'll keep them lightly on the wheel. Otherwise they're in my lap.

General rule for me is: if due to obstructions or other traffic you wouldn't be able to afford the extra half second to get your feet/hands from the floor/your lap to the pedal/wheel, keep them on the pedal/wheel.

• Like x 2
  9. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

I can tell you where not to keep it. Not under the brake pedal. The other day I stretched my leg out and my foot ended up under the brake pedal. Then AP hit the brake and the pedal pushed down onto my foot. Thankfully I was able to react pretty quickly and pulled my foot out before anything bad happened.

• Informative x 2
  10. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

I keep mine attached to the end of my legs. What other mysteries of the universe do you wonder about?

• Funny x 4
  11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Same place they go when you have the cruise control activated.

• Like x 1