Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do the written off Teslas go in Aus?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know where the 2014 Model S (P85) went, I bought it.......

It is a repairable write off so when it arrives I will assess the damage and see if its viable to resurrect it.

Part of this assessment will involve turning it on, so first problem no key.

As you could see from earlier posts showing the car on Pickles website its Vic licence plate was JAINA so if the power of the internet (and this forum) could point me in the direction of the original owner and maybe a key fob that would be a great start.

JAINA is now registered in Vic to a blue 2015 model S so it looks like the original owner kept the faith and stayed with Tesla.

Hopefully I haven't transgressed any forum privacy rules by making this request, if I have then please feel free to delete the post and I will consider myself told........

Was that one of the ones which got removed from the Pickles sites before going to auction?
If so, how did you purchase it (and for how much, if you don't mind...)?
Good luck with your search, please keep us updated on the progress of your project. And if no luck let me know if you want to sell the batteries!

This was one of the cars previously withdrawn from Pickles, there are another 2 Tesla's coming up for auction in the next couple of weeks.

I paid $25,750 plus Pickles fees, I was originally only looking for the battery modules myself so if its not viable to repair I will use them in a couple of projects.

How interchangeable are, say, all model S's in terms of motors and batteries? Are all battery packs swappable? Will Tesla upgrade one's battery or motor for them if a customer wanted a bigger battery or better motor?
At various times they have indicated that this will be an option (bigger battery), but the reality that it's just not cost effective. You are better off buying another car.

*sugar*. I was watching that auction to see how it went. Are you getting it back to Townsville. I am going to watch the auction tomorrow see how it goes. I would love to help if I can and see you buy. I work at Holden and have volt high voltage training.

It is heading to Townsville, if you want take a look PM me and we can arrange it, I have banned myself from today’s auction as I am under strict instructions not to buy any more cars.......

Should of watched Rich rebuilds channel first perhaps. Don't know why you'd sink all your money into a project car. Salvage cars are always a gamble.

Not sure about NZ but ACCC or Fair trading should help, state Ombudsman as well. I use the last office against the RMS here in Sydney.

Got a pic of the damage?

$31k for the 2017 Model S 60D, repairable write off. Wow that's a lot of $$$...
I think that's cheap to be honest, for money, I would of taken a punt but NSW WOVR laws I would not be able to register the car again.

Good on you for having another go. Do you do the repairs yourself in NZ or here in Australia?
Was your last one a Stat writeoff?
Last write off was a stat.

I got the body repairs done by 'Simply Smashing' on Central Coast. They did a fantastic job. I highly recommend them. They were not Tesla certified when they took my job. They are certified (I believe) now.
I have a couple of very skilled Engineers do the mechanical work. We do proper investigation as appropriate such as crack testing which I don't believe the guys who initially wrote the vehicle off did.

Should of watched Rich rebuilds channel first perhaps. Don't know why you'd sink all your money into a project car. Salvage cars are always a gamble.

There's known unknowns and unknown unknowns. I didn't know Tesla were so difficult. I assumed their word meant something. I found I was wrong. Yes, should have watched Rich first. Hindsight is a useless thing :rolleyes:

There's known unknowns and unknown unknowns. I didn't know Tesla were so difficult. I assumed their word meant something. I found I was wrong. Yes, should have watched Rich first. Hindsight is a useless thing :rolleyes:
Its ok, just needs more work.

Id start by writing a email documenting your interactions with Tesla. Ask what can be done here for recertification. Then they will fob you off, then ask again with a dead line. Then they will fob you off again, then take those to the ACCC and/or your state ombudsman and/or fair trading. After you have a documented paper trail trying to fix this issues, Id contact Rich Rebuilds anyway, what do you have to loose?

Read up on Australian consumer law and your rights as a consumer. I don't think we have a right to repair act and salvage vehicles are grey area.

PS I bought my third Subaru yesterday from auctions. This BS from Tesla looks to similar to "Apple Care", its nothing I want to be a part of. Will be a few years before we know we are getting into and the associated costs with Tesla here.