Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do the written off Teslas go in Aus?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear you however the second thing anyone ever asks me (after how fast is it?) is, 'Does it have Supercharging?'. Tesla do not and will not enable this. They barely enabled fast (CHAdeMO) charging. Without these the car's value is destroyed. If Tesla were to promise (and keep their promise) of these charging modes then I'd say it's worth it. But until then I stand by my statement.
The 2nd thing I get asked is “will it get to melbourne” (I’m in adelaide)....although the 2nd question I got late last year was “how many times do you have to recharge to get home. I explained home was 10km away, at which point the question was asked again.....
I doubt many know what a supercharger even is.

• Funny
Reactions: NiallDarwin
I had similar front end damage in my Prius and it was repaired. To have a Tesla X salvaged with this little damage (I can't see any airbags deployed) and possibly an insurance value of at least 10X or more is ridiculous. No wonder why the insurance renewals are going through the roof for most owners.

I also wonder if the Model 3 will be the same with higher than normal insurance costs. This may be a deal breaker for my dream of owning a Tesla. Only time will tell and for now, I am keeping my reservation instead of cashing it in.

Salvaged Model X.JPG

On a side note: I’m a bit annoyed at the stat write off’s that are appearing at these auctions. All the hail damaged cars from the last Sydney storm are coming up as stat write offs when they used to be repairable. I’ve bought a couple of late model low kms hail cars in the past and they’ve been awesome bargains. This Model X would be a pretty easy repair to get on the road again.

Statutory write offs are supposed to be when the car is not repairable to ever be safe on the roads again and there’s no way a hail damaged car won’t be safe on the roads - the damage is only cosmetic. But it seems the government regs allow the insurance company to decide whether it’s a stat write off or not. I assume they don’t want the hassle of ever having to re-insure these cars or they want to help out second hand car dealers and stop people buying cheap cars that are mechanically sound but have a few dings in them. There’s no way you can tell me a 2017 BMW 3 series with 8,000 kms on it and some hail dings on it isn’t going to be safe to drive on the road!

Agree. Only the cars owner can challenge a stat dec.

I thoroughly agree with your statements. In the process of getting my 90D on the road here in NZ I found the system rotten from top to bottom. While damaged, my car should never have been a stat. But as you say, once its a stat that's the end of it. Hail damaged cars getting killed? What a joke! Throw away, no recycle, a polluting old gas-guzzler and drive a hail damaged Tesla. Who cares? AAAAARGH###$$$%%%%!!!!!

Looking at it from 'maximising shareholder profits' as I believe companies are legally obliged to do, how can the insurance company justify it? For something where they stand to lose $100k+ surely they should behave professionally and undertake a proper Engineering inspection including things like alignment and crack-testing of critical parts? That's what I did before repairing mine. It doesn't cost much. As far as I can tell, the assessor just looked at (didn't touch/remove any covers) mine to decide it was a stat.

Fairly obvious why insurers are pulling out of tesla insurance

I've been contacted by a couple of claims managers here in NZ who've been struggling with the loss they're facing on lightly damage but written off Teslas.They've said exactly what paulp is getting at-we won't insure these things if that's how easy it is to kill them. I think after talking with me they may have gone down the 'get a better inspection route'. I hope so :)

I'm looking at getting a salvage Tesla to use as a donor for an EV conversion. I'm mainly after a small drive unit, batteries, charger, and a few other small things. There's currently a stat write-off model X (which I think is the one posted up page) for sale on gumtree, any chance it's someone from here that's selling it?

Holy cow, unless there's something sinister lurking under the panels that doesn't look too hard to fix! They're writing them off so us in New Zealand get them ;) Sadly I'm maxed out and can't afford more Teslas until I sell a couple. If someone wants to join forces and be the Aussie side of an operation fixing them then selling them over here I think we could do pretty well.

Damaged 2017 Tesla Model X 75D Station Wagon For Auction in National Online, National – Manheim Salvage Auctions

Why are they all getting stat write off.
This is a 7 seater exactly what I am looking for.
They get written off because the parts are near impossible to get from Tesla. Hence many insurance companies are loathe to cover for this reason. This situation is being reviewed and hopefully some good news will be on the horizon soon. In the meantime, if you know what you are doing with stat. writeoffs, you can do well.