Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do the written off Teslas go in Aus?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the one I was referring to:
2018 TESLA Model S - Pickles
It seems like it didn't auction before Christmas, it went today and it went to me. I have a scheme for it but I'm having serious buyers remorse (especially trying to explain how we now own another wreck to my partner) and so if anyone fancies a nice twisted SP100D and also getting me out of the doghouse before I'm in it please get in touch...
Hi Niall, I've messaged you with the hopes we can do a deal on this or at least some parts. Let me know when you get a chance :)

Another model X repairable write off, front impact, 6 airbags visibly deployed also a minor dent visible on the rear. Looks ok from the images. 2017 TESLA Model X - Pickles

Attachments

• F47E5C38-9259-409F-A3B3-F9A7A770D98F.jpeg
    F47E5C38-9259-409F-A3B3-F9A7A770D98F.jpeg
    701.5 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: NiallDarwin
Silver x just went through auction. Sold at $21k should have jumped in that sounds like a good buy.

I watched that one go through too. I think you could have got that back on the road for an additional 15-20k, DIY, no tesla certification. Not bad for a 2017 75d, even with a wovr record you would expect 80k open market if all fixed up properly and Tesla certified.

I know your story, and I wouldnt bother personally. But certification might have a positive effect on resale value. Some people are not very DIY, and would prefer to have teslas support.
I hear you however the second thing anyone ever asks me (after how fast is it?) is, 'Does it have Supercharging?'. Tesla do not and will not enable this. They barely enabled fast (CHAdeMO) charging. Without these the car's value is destroyed. If Tesla were to promise (and keep their promise) of these charging modes then I'd say it's worth it. But until then I stand by my statement.

Reactions: alexeiw123
I hear you however the second thing anyone ever asks me (after how fast is it?) is, 'Does it have Supercharging?'. Tesla do not and will not enable this. They barely enabled fast (CHAdeMO) charging. Without these the car's value is destroyed. If Tesla were to promise (and keep their promise) of these charging modes then I'd say it's worth it. But until then I stand by my statement.
....which is just an opinion and not fact o_O;)

Here's the one I was referring to:
2018 TESLA Model S - Pickles
It seems like it didn't auction before Christmas, it went today and it went to me. I have a scheme for it but I'm having serious buyers remorse (especially trying to explain how we now own another wreck to my partner) and so if anyone fancies a nice twisted SP100D and also getting me out of the doghouse before I'm in it please get in touch...

Hey Niall, I'm interested in the 'twisted SP100D'. Tried PM'ing you on FB if you check your message requests.
Cheers

On a side note: I’m a bit annoyed at the stat write off’s that are appearing at these auctions. All the hail damaged cars from the last Sydney storm are coming up as stat write offs when they used to be repairable. I’ve bought a couple of late model low kms hail cars in the past and they’ve been awesome bargains. This Model X would be a pretty easy repair to get on the road again.

Statutory write offs are supposed to be when the car is not repairable to ever be safe on the roads again and there’s no way a hail damaged car won’t be safe on the roads - the damage is only cosmetic. But it seems the government regs allow the insurance company to decide whether it’s a stat write off or not. I assume they don’t want the hassle of ever having to re-insure these cars or they want to help out second hand car dealers and stop people buying cheap cars that are mechanically sound but have a few dings in them. There’s no way you can tell me a 2017 BMW 3 series with 8,000 kms on it and some hail dings on it isn’t going to be safe to drive on the road!

Agree. Only the cars owner can challenge a stat dec. After that, even if you find a car that clearly does not meet the guidelines for stat dec, there is nothing you can do about it. The inspectors can get away with ridiculous assessments so long as the owner does not object. And if they are challenged the inspector won't even get a slap on the wrist.

How many owners would be upset if they found out their insurance company wrote off to scrap when they could of repaired?

Quick resolution is what they are after, convenience is king, payout -> new car -> never mind the waste.