Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do you charge your Model Y to for daily use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somewhere between 82.459765% and 88.123490% for regular use, but sometimes I set it to 72.676422934% if its going to sit for a few days..... unless its tuesday, then I set it to 74.6653842%

(no actually tesla does not recommend between 80% and 90% for daily use. They state to set it somewhere between the daily use sliders, which is 50% to 90%)

After 26+ months of ownerahip of two Model Y’s I no longer give this much thought. I SET AND FORGET my slider at 90%. I also don’t plug-in everyday. I have gone several days between charges. The biggest exception is on HOT or COLD days. Uses shore power to take care of the battery and allows for pre-conditinning without using the battery. And about every 90 to 120 days I’ll run it down to 10% and charge it back up to 90% to help the BMS calibrate itself.

When I sold my 2020 LR AWD I calculate I lost about 7% range or battery capacity. When new the car displayed a MAX of 314 miles (rated 316) when I sold it it was down to 294. My new MYP displayed a MAX of 302 miles 100 and now 400 miles, according to the number displayed by the battery icon For what that’s worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kupe and Cyberspeed

I guess I should add that I do this for a couple of reasons. Mainly I hardly ever need more range than that unless I’m traveling. Second, I’m doing an experiment (granted not controlling for anything) to see how my range ends up after 5 years. At 55% my car usually only operates between 45-55% unless it’s a busy weekend or travel. But you do you! I’m just curious to see the long term effects and there’s little downside to me personally.

Curious though, is power reduced on the MYLR at lower states of charge?