Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do you mount your phone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's just one photo of the set-up I posted about earlier:

View attachment 208964

A little bit costly, but it doesn't block any vents, doesn't require anything be attached anywhere permanently, and leaves the phone in a position where it is easily seen, and if need be reached.

Hi Andy,

I have been using smartphones in cars for many years. I run the WAZE application which, now that it's owned by Google, also gets traffic updates, usually much faster than the car's nav system. - but I digress...

Your install is exactly like mine except I use a mount designed for cell phones in airplane cockpits. It has a a variety of mounts so I can easily swap between an iPad mount, an iPhone mount - however, it's not ideal for single handed removal or insertion as a knurled knob needs to be turned to fully secure the device in the mount. For planes really needed - for ultra fast Tesla vehicle - hmm.... maybe needed too!! LOL

Bottom line is "line of sight". Until we have a reliable AutoPilot, taking our eyes from the road (ok - even when we do have a reliable AP) is not a good idea. Mounting the phone high in front of the door pillar so no interference with driver's view is ideal. It's easy to glance quickly at the screen to read a popup text, see an alert or even the caller ID is ideal. My steering wheel is positioned so I can almost touch the display easily while part of my hand remains on the wheel.

Only concern besides the sometimes two-handed process is that if the side airbag ever goes off i might have something I never counted on - an implanted iOS device!

Here's just one photo of the set-up I posted about earlier:

View attachment 208964

A little bit costly, but it doesn't block any vents, doesn't require anything be attached anywhere permanently, and leaves the phone in a position where it is easily seen, and if need be reached.

Thank you for sharing your research. I've been wanting to do a phone mount but didn't want to deal with any of the drawbacks.

I did have one question just asking for peace of mind:

My windshield is tinted. Do you foresee any possible damage to the film using your setup?

Hi Andy,

I have been using smartphones in cars for many years. I run the WAZE application which, now that it's owned by Google, also gets traffic updates, usually much faster than the car's nav system. - but I digress...

I use the custom Waze app for Tesla on the main 17" display ... no need for the phone app :cool:

Waze for Tesla Incidents and Supercharger Traffic

upload_2017-1-7_22-21-52.png

Thank you for sharing your research. I've been wanting to do a phone mount but didn't want to deal with any of the drawbacks.

I did have one question just asking for peace of mind:

My windshield is tinted. Do you foresee any possible damage to the film using your setup?

I have no experience with tinting, so I don't think I am qualified to answer that.

The suction cup does create a great deal of suction, and adheres very well. It can also be released fairly easily, but I don't know how it would work on film installed on the glass.

I've been using this setup for a while now--I think well over a year--and the suction cup only came off without my wanting it to once, and I think that time was after I had not reattached it well after the car was in for service.

I'd check with the people who did your tint to ask them about the suction cup. Ram and Ram mounts are pretty common, so they may have experience with exactly that suction cup.

Good luck!

Does this warn you about police?

My daily commute fortunately doesn't have much traffic but I like to use Waze to warn me about police.

Yes, the app warns about police ... the black hat shows visible police and the red triangle shows hidden police :cool:

Thank you so much for the tip on waze for the Tesla browser.

It doesn't seem you can use the navigation functions? It just shows a map and traffic/police indicators

The app is great, but does not allow navigation input ... I run a split screen with Waze on top and Nav on the bottom :cool:

upload_2017-1-8_9-18-50.png