TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where do you put a 9'6" longboard (SURFBOARD) on a Tesla Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Lee Otterholt, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Lee Otterholt

Lee Otterholt New Member

Okay, this may seem frivolous to you, but it is a deal breaker for me: Where do you put a 9'6" longboard (surfboard) on a Tesla Model S? Does Tesla sell an accessory that allows you to carry a surfboard on the roof? Help!

2. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

I've seen some roof racks posted, not sure there's anything official but believe there are ones that fit. That's likely your only option without driving with the hatch up.

3. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Yakima makes a roof rack that fits the Model S. You can buy it on their site (use 2012 for the model year, some kind of glitch on their website). You must buy the Pano Roof, because it's the only way to get the roof rack mount points.

4. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

If you're getting a pano roof, use the mount points for a Yakima (these will fit) or Thule (not sure) set of bars. If you go for a solid roof, the rack linked below really does work; they also have them for bikes and wider bars for paddle boards.

Surfboard Rack | SeaSucker

5. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

Thule has some surfboard specific racks that fit on their crossbars. you would need to ask Thule about the right mounting bracket for the MS.
    TMC has a thread for roof racks that you may want to go through.

6. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

This kinda needs to be in the "Technical" forum, but as others have suggested, get some roof rails if you've got the pano roof. If not, have it stick out the front passenger window ;)

7. Zextraterrestrial

That will fit in the car!

(Maybe without a passenger in the front though)
    curious now...I've fit 11' stuff + a surfboard(with seats up) but never a longboard. I think I only have an 8' something, will check.

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I wonder if the front passenger seat would recline enough to give you a flat surface from front to back? My other car (Pontiac Vibe) can fold the passenger seatback completely flat in the forward direction, and with the rear seats folded flat, you have a fairly long deck on one side of the car for a ladder or something similar.

9. Jkam

Jkam Member

It does. My 11'2" board hung out the rear by about 6" when I reclined the front seat and folded down the rear seats. So a 9'6" should fit in the car. Otherwise roof rack with panoramic roof is the way to go.

10. thefrenches

thefrenches New Member

Has anyone actually tested this theory? I'd love to know if my 10' and 9'6" boards would fit INSIDE...

11. tliving

tliving Member

Darn, came here hoping for a cool pic. No satisfaction.

12. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

9' that's nothing. I fit 2 12' SUP boards on top of my MS. Nothing but roof pads and a couple straps needed.

13. tliving

tliving Member

And still no pics!

14. aggiegrl

aggiegrl New Member

Hi Lee! I really didn't want to put any roof rack on my car... And discovered that I could easily fit a 8'4" board with the seats down. I think there's roughly a foot more length that could be accommodated (given your 9'6" board). Good luck! image.jpeg

15. b.noing

b.noing Member

I have been carrying my 10'-2" longboard inside weekly for 3 years now. It works great as long as you are alone, and I sometimes carry the board all day long with me while running errands. It only fits one way though. The passenger seat must be all the way back raised up with the seat back reclined until it hits the folded rear seat. Put a towel over the headrest to protect it. The board must be upside down (unlike the photo above) preferably with a tri fin. If you have a large single fin protect the tip of it so it will not hit the back window glass. Tilt the board away from the driver (unlike the photo above) so that you can easily see the side view mirror. Warning: be careful of braking the front windshield. Your board will be only an inch or three away and a quick stop will break the windshield with just a slight tap. After breaking mine I bought a board bag with a padded nose and have had no further problems. I would say the maximum board that will fit is around 10-4. You may get a passenger in with a 9-6 although the board will be more vertical and you will not be able to see the side mirror.

16. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I have put a 12' SUP on mine using the Whispbars

CA_07141408213463.jpg