Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do you store your Tesla 1772 adapter at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Chargepoint Flex for my Model Y (and hopefully other EVs some day). Wondering what people do with the Tesla 1772 adapter when not charging (assumes you have one dedicated for home-charging use). Easiest is to leave it attached to handle, but then you need to hang somewhere other than in the Chargepoint receiver.

Today I designed and 3-D printed a wall-mount receiver. Nice thing is you can remove and put back with the Chargepoint handle. Small tab on the bottom securely holds it in place. Does this seem useful to others? Happy to post it on Thingiverse once it's in a final state.

Attachments

• IMG_2178.jpg
    IMG_2178.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2177.jpg
    IMG_2177.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 60
My guess is that it needs to be kept in the car so that in the event you don't have access to a Super Charger, you can still charge your Tesla at other locations/chargers which supports J-1772 adapter. On a long trip never leave it a home, you need all the tools in your charging kit to be inside the car
Indeed, I never leave my house without a J1772 adapter. That’s why I have two, and leave one on my J1772 EVSE at home.

My guess is that it needs to be kept in the car so that in the event you don't have access to a Super Charger, you can still charge your Tesla at other locations/chargers which supports J-1772 adapter. On a long trip never leave it a home, you need all the tools in your charging kit to be inside the car
That's what the frunk is for. All my cables and adapters are there.

Reactions: bdhaduk
I have a Chargepoint Flex for my Model Y (and hopefully other EVs some day). Wondering what people do with the Tesla 1772 adapter when not charging (assumes you have one dedicated for home-charging use). Easiest is to leave it attached to handle, but then you need to hang somewhere other than in the Chargepoint receiver.

Today I designed and 3-D printed a wall-mount receiver. Nice thing is you can remove and put back with the Chargepoint handle. Small tab on the bottom securely holds it in place. Does this seem useful to others? Happy to post it on Thingiverse once it's in a final state.
Yes, for someone who has a non-Tesla EV and sharing an EVSE this looks like a good thing. Thank you for considering sharing it.

It wasn't clear to me from your description, do you have to press something to release it? I'm imagining the ideal design would have the user just press the J1772 release button and leave the adapter behind. Then if they want the adapter they lift/pull on the J1772 handle without pressing the release button.

Now that we an all Tesla household the adapter just stays with the nozzle.

Just for the record, the OP specifically addressed this in their post, "assumes you have one dedicated for home-charging use".

I have to admit the first time I saw this thread this was my first reaction as well. It was only later that I realized that I had not read things closely enough. It was a humbling reminder that we can be too hasty.

I want to commend the OP for their generosity in sharing and I hope they are not discouraged.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Just for the record, the OP specifically addressed this in their post, "assumes you have one dedicated for home-charging use".

I have to admit the first time I saw this thread this was my first reaction as well. It was only later that I realized that I had not read things closely enough. It was a humbling reminder that we can be too hasty.

I want to commend the OP for their generosity in sharing and I hope they are not discouraged.
Thanks, always underestimate need for clarity. Indeed it works exactly as you describe. It stores snugly in the 3-D printed receptacle, then you can "grab" with the Chargepoint plug and pull out for charging Tesla. When done, you can reinsert it in the receptacle, squeezing chargepoint latch will release it, and it's stored for later use in a Tesla.

I use my Clipper Creek EVSE to charge my Volt and Tesla Y using the J1772 adapter. When my Tesla is done charging I remove the adapter and set it on my tool chest which is directly behind the Tesla. Yes’s it vulnerable to being misplaced, dropped, lost or left behind. I’ve been thinking about some better way to store it at home.

And lately I have been thinking of buying a second one to keep IN the car with my other charging gear I have accumulated.

But having said that we could be close to selling our Volt to the Service Manager at the dealership we bought it from (he knows the car intimately) and wants it for his daughter heading off to college this fall. His offer is tempting, he’s offered $1000 more than the KBB Private Sale estimate, which is over $19K at last check. It was $16K last year. So if I do that I’ll include the Clipper Creek and replace it with a HPC and this problem solves it self.

DECISIONS DECISIONS