Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do you think this crack came from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

This morning I went to do some quick chores and noticed that the glass in the rear view mirror has odd reflections starting from the base of the glass (at least from what I saw from inside). When I parked though I noticed some cracks in a sun pattern. I took a picture of it but do you think someone tried to break in (its kind of an odd place to try to break in though) or what do you think could have happened. When touching the glass from outside I don't feel the cracks at all almost like it cracked from inside but the marks look like something hit the glass. Also anyone know how much this might cost to fix? I live in Bay Area, CA and have Tesla Insurance. Needless to say I am super bumbed out about this as I am guessing the glass needs to be replaced which means I have to re-do the tint as well.

I guess i should also add that there isn't anything on the century mode but its usually off when I park in my apartment as I dont have home charging and it eats a bit of the battery.
20211230_082322.jpg

Auto glass can appear weak when struck with pointed objects. Pointed objects typically don't require much force at all to crack auto glass. That's why safety glass break devices are merely pointed objects. A little tap will shatter the glass. Granted a pine cone doesn't necesarrily have hardness similar to these devices but most certainty have points. The oriientation of the points of inpact on your window do seem to resemble what might be the points on the "pedals" of a pine cone.

My only guess is it coyld be picone as there a big tree next to where I parked last few nights but I didn't see any on the ground and I would think the glass is stronger than that.
View attachment 750086
My property has a lot of tall oak trees. A previous car of mine got hit with a falling acorn and it made a crack just like the one in the photo. Nerd alert: 🤓

You can do the math, a 7 g red oak acorn falling from a 20 m height.

Reactions: .Slug