Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do you want a new Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is nothing in central Florida. During Hurricane Irma (2017) we evacuated from Ft Myers, Florida to Warner Robins, GA. We drove the back roads and did not encounter any traffic. Below is the route we took. Other people were stuck at a standstill on I-75 and I-95 for hours. If I were in a Tesla, I would have had a much more difficult trip because the superchargers are only on the highways.
LaBelle, FL
South Bay, FL
Arcadia FL
Sebring, FL
Ft Meade, FL
Frostproof, FL
Starke, FL
Fargo, GA
Homerville, GA
Douglas, GA
Waycross, GA
McRae-Helena, GA
Warner Robins, GA

Reactions: Led Jetson
Michigan upper peninsula has a 150mi stretch between Escanaba and Mackinaw City supercharger. Cold stretch of country. This is just one example. Although there are going to be a lot of northern smaller towns that rely on tourism, and lacking in superchargers.

State governments seem to be strategically trying to fill those gaps with third party chargers.

Rest Areas would be a great place to throw some urban superchargers as well as some HPWC’s for those grabbing a nap in between cities.
Please, no. Rest areas are about the last place I'd like to see a Supercharger. And definitely, please not slow 72 KW Urban ones.
Instead, please put them near fast food places where one can potentially do something useful while Supercharging like eat or find a clean bathroom.
Rest areas tend to be filthy, noisy, creepy islands of fumes from idling diesel trucks, with dirty bathrooms and a few (often broken) vending machines. Sure, they work in a pinch but, IMHO, should hardly be a goal.
They also tend to not have high power electrical connections like commercial areas so installing fast chargers at them is generally a lot more expensive.
If your life is one of leisure and you want to take a nap, find a J-1772 on plugshare.com or the back corner of a Walmart parking lot. Our Supercharger stops are 20 to 30 minutes long, hardly time for much of a nap.

Please, no. Rest areas are about the last place I'd like to see a Supercharger. And definitely, please not slow 72 KW Urban ones.
Instead, please put them near fast food places where one can potentially do something useful while Supercharging like eat or find a clean bathroom.
Rest areas tend to be filthy, noisy, creepy islands of fumes from idling diesel trucks, with dirty bathrooms and a few (often broken) vending machines. Sure, they work in a pinch but, IMHO, should hardly be a goal.
They also tend to not have high power electrical connections like commercial areas so installing fast chargers at them is generally a lot more expensive.
If your life is one of leisure and you want to take a nap, find a J-1772 on plugshare.com or the back corner of a Walmart parking lot. Our Supercharger stops are 20 to 30 minutes long, hardly time for much of a nap.
Most interstate rest areas I have been to have clean restrooms but no services (except tollway plazas like in OH and IN, which are perfect SC locaitons with clean restrooms AND food). I think rest areas would be excellent supercharger locations as you spend minimum time getting off and back on the freeway.

Perhaps the cleanliness of rest areas is state dependent?

Go West my friend.
The well kept, eastern Toll Road service areas tend to not permit Tesla Superchargers because of the "Proprietary" label that their competitors have championed.
Have been through MN, IA, NE, ND, MT, ID, WA, OR, UT, CO, AZ, NM and OK just this year. Only sub-standard rest areas I came accross were one in Idaho and more than one in Oklahoma. Could have just been lucky I guess. In any case the convenience of minimum time spent getting off/on the highway is the real draw. There are Tesla SCs at toll road rest areas in at least OH, IN, NH, ME and MA.

Reactions: 1speed