Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where does Tesla App "Location" get its satellite pics?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My daughter has Blue Max today so I decided to try out the "Location" feature of the Tesla App. It shows her parked near an alley named "Pearmain Way". Google Earth shows that it is actually Permian Way.

So the "Location" view seems to be from a satellite like Google Earth but there are different cars in the picture, so would have to have been shot on a different day.

Are there other satellite services besides Google Earth?

Does anyone know where the Tesla App gets its "Location" satellite views?

My daughter has Blue Max today so I decided to try out the "Location" feature of the Tesla App. It shows her parked near an alley named "Pearmain Way". Google Earth shows that it is actually Permian Way.

So the "Location" view seems to be from a satellite like Google Earth but there are different cars in the picture, so would have to have been shot on a different day.

Are there other satellite services besides Google Earth?

Does anyone know where the Tesla App gets its "Location" satellite views?

FWIW, my understanding from someone at the SvC the other day is the 17" screen maps are Google and the IC is Navigon/Garmin. The OS and directional map logic for the NAV system is also Garmin which hasn't been updated in 2 years due to an issue with Garmin. Not sure if all of this is correct but it helps explain the inaccuracy of the NAV and perhaps the difficulty Tesla has in fixing it.

FWIW, my understanding from someone at the SvC the other day is the 17" screen maps are Google and the IC is Navigon/Garmin. The OS and directional map logic for the NAV system is also Garmin which hasn't been updated in 2 years due to an issue with Garmin. Not sure if all of this is correct but it helps explain the inaccuracy of the NAV and perhaps the difficulty Tesla has in fixing it.

OP was referring to the app on the mobile phone. I believe that uses the OS's favored mapping API - I believe that Android is Google-based, Apple is Maps-based. I may be wrong, I mostly use Android and it clearly uses Google.

The "satellite view" is not all photos taken from space.

Most of the higher resolution pictures are/were just aerial photography,
often taken sometime in the last several years ... nowhere near real time images.

Notice when your neighbors add solar panels, a pool, or other landscaping,
or a road is added or changed ... then see how long it takes for the "satellite"
view to show the modification.