TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where does Tesla Stand with Aftermarket Wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by broncophil, Nov 4, 2014.

1. broncophil

broncophil Member

I tried searching, but couldnt find anything definitive.

Where does TM stand regarding this issue?

I have a hybrid, and my particular model, the manufacturer will void warranty due to weight issues draining on the battery. At least thats what I have been told.

What about TM?

I'm planning on 20" or 21" Vossens.

2. Zextraterrestrial

that sounds 'odd'

I have 3 sets of 19"s and the factory 21"s. (if anyone wants the grey 21"s they are/will be for sale)

all of the 19"s are much lighter than stock. I think It'd be hard to find a heavier wheel than the 21" Tesla turbine?
    no probs regarding warranty. I have heard of someone warping rotors maybe due to undertorqued lugs on aftermarket wheels, this seemed strange too.(I think Tesla wouldn't cover the bent rotors)

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

You didn't happen to be told that by a someone at a dealership, did you?

4. broncophil

broncophil Member

yes i have an INFINITI M HYBRID, and I wanted the 19" sport wheels, and thats what he told me.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

#5 jerry33, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    Try lifting the Tesla Aero wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd call the factory as my BS meter just went "tilt".

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

That's got to be some of the most ridiculous made up BS , though BS like that is typical from your average dealership. So no worries, that dude was just filling you with an avalanche of crap spewing from his mouth. It's very illegal for a manufacturer to void your warranty for swapping wheels.

7. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Unless the wheels could be proven to be substandard in some way, and the cause of some warrenty claimed damage, which is very unlikely.

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That is absurd.

Why don't you call Tesla and ask them?

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I have after-market Rial Luganos on mine and it has been in to Tesla Service with no issues. They did an alignment for me last time it was in.

10. FreeOfPge

FreeOfPge Member

Exact same thing here - I have Rial Luganos, they reset the sensors and did an alignment FOC.

11. Drtadakichi

Drtadakichi Member

As long as you stay within the factory spec on the wheels, then its not so bad, I have seen some 285's on rear wheels that have been extremely light, however the rub. The downside, is if you start to complain of brake squeak, that is 100% on you to replace and is not covered under warranty if you have an aftermarket rim.

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Do you have a source for this? I've had mine in for the brake squeak, after-market rims and all, and was not told of this.

13. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Yeah, don't think so. Wasn't an issue for me.

14. Drtadakichi

Drtadakichi Member

Its becoming a greater issue recently with more and more aftermarket rims showing up, but as of a few months ago, if you saw a car with aftermarket rims, and the owner was complaining of brake squeak, then Tesla wouldn't allow the rotors to be replaced under warranty. Due to some factors I could see some service centers not keeping to this though.