Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where does/will your Tesla call home?

Where do/will you *primarily* park your Tesla(s) at home?

• Private garage

Votes: 78 72.9%
  • Private carport

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Private driveway

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Street

• Shared garage/carport, no reserved space

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shared lot (uncovered), no reserved space

• Shared garage/carport w/reserved space

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Shared lot (uncovered) w/reserved space

• Front lawn

• Other

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's Friday afternoon, and I don't want to focus on work.

I'm guessing a large majority of Tesla owners & prospective owners have private garages, but I thought I would ask the question.

Personally, I'm in an older (c. 1920s), relatively urban neighborhood where there aren't a lot of garages, and often when there are, they are 1-car. My Tesla will be parked in the driveway beside the house, and I am planning to install the Tesla wall charger on the side of the house.

My own private garage which is home to 18kW of HPWC and has good access to my home wifi so I get updates as soon as possible. In Australia we have Electric Vehicle electricity plans that offer unlimited EV charging for maximum $1 per day so I almost never use a supercharger and it's always plugged in.
charging.jpg

Reactions: AlanSqB
We have one private garage spot, but two EVs.
I think the Tesla will park outside and the LEAF inside since the latter is used by my wife and she is more finicky in the winter and the LEAF is a narrower car -- not to mention less heartache if the car scrapes or bumps something.

We just moved into a condo for the first time, so arranging the right charging situation was a primary consideration. Thankfully we have two assigned spaces (one of them absolutely huge and therefore perfect for the Model S.) We were able to line up all the electrical work before we moved in and have 50 amp 208v service running to both spots.

I wouldn’t recommend anyone without a home charging solution even think about an electric car, but I do wonder if 120v 15A isn’t going to be the more common approach. If every owner in our building wanted fast charging we’d need some kind of intelligent solution for scheduling or scaling back charging, and what the HOA has looked into so far isn’t cheap.

I do wonder if 120v 15A isn’t going to be the more common approach. If every owner in our building wanted fast charging we’d need some kind of intelligent solution for scheduling or scaling back charging, and what the HOA has looked into so far isn’t cheap.

As evidenced by this poll, the vast majority of Tesla owners are likely to be charging in a private garage/driveway where installing a 240V outlet will not be particularly burdensome. So I would think that 120V charging will be relatively uncommon.

That said, I don't think 120V charging would be nearly as impractical as many people assume. If you are plugged in for an average of 12 hours/day, that should be good enough for ~65 miles/day at 120V 12A charging or ~86 miles/day at 120V 16A charging (assuming 126MPGe or 0.267Wh/mi and charging in moderate ambient temperatures).

And if you have a Supercharger near where you live, it would be even better, since then if you return home from a long trip with a near-empty battery and 120V charging wouldn't get you a full charge by morning, you could just take a short detour and fill up at the SC.

So I bet 120V could work reasonably well for many M3 owners, especially for people in a condo or apartment who are parking in a shared garage where 120V power might be more easily obtained than 240V, .

Reactions: AlanSqB and DR61