TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where exactly is the microphone?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ekhozindar, Jun 10, 2016.

1. ekhozindar

ekhozindar Member

I'm getting alot of complaints when I'm on the phone in the car that it is very difficult to hear what I'm saying when I'm driving at higher speeds. Anyone else have this issue or is it just me?

2. pchan

pchan Member

I use iPhone 6 ... Same here ... I also got complaints about others can't hear anything from me for the first 1-2 seconds after connection.

3. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

Do you have a hard time hearing them? If so increase the volume.

4. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

One time all seemed to be well but caller could not hear me. Turned off BT on the phone and turned it on again while connected and then they could hear me as usual. Only had this happen once do far.
    Not sure but I think the mikes are those little grills in the A pillars

Attached Files:

5. chloedog

chloedog Member

I have the same issue. iPhone speakerphone seems to be better quality than the Bluetooth in the car. The Bluetooth in my model s was also bad, but I think the road noise in my X is worse which makes the Bluetooth phone calls pretty much unusable.

Let me know if your SC ever figures out a fix for this.

6. SSD420

SSD420 Member

Oh no. Don't tell me that BT quality sucks. My business partner always complained to me making calls from my previous ICE car, but we both agreed that would be a thing of the past once I got my MX (hopefully later this month!).

If you find a resolution, please keep us updated!

7. DMH-DMH

DMH-DMH Member

I haven't had any complaints about the conversation quality in the 2 weeks that I've had my X. I have an iPhone 6s. It is better than my Lincoln

8. XHokie

XHokie Member

This is one my huge pet peeves with previous ICE cars I've owned, EXCEPT in my 2014 Range Rover Sport (vehicle I'm trading in for my X). My hope is that Bluetooth call/sound quality doesn't have that background noise that sounds awful and makes it seem like you are in a wind tunnel. I would hope that the Bluetooth technology and quality of parts they use in a Tesla is as good, if not better, than what Land Rover has used in their more recent cars, because most people couldn't even tell I was in a car using Bluetooth in my RRS.

9. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

Interesting. People can't understand me well when I speak using only my iPhone 5S, but so far no one has complained when I speak to them in my X.

10. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

I have iPhone 6+, and no complaints on calls or wind tunnel effect, windows all closed though. I've not had many calls at >70mph yet to confirm the wind noise aspect.

11. GoCanes

GoCanes Member

I've actually received complements on the sound from my X using an iPhone 6 - better than most, people say. But sometimes you do have to crank up the volume!

• Informative x 1
  12. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Works fine with our iPhone 6, or else on my Acura and Cadillac bluetooth is crap. Does the iPhone still use its noise cancelation microphone while it is on bluetooth? Try taking your phone out of your pocket faced screen down on your next class. The noise cancelation mic is located next to the camera so don't cover it.

• Informative x 1
  13. m2s2

m2s2 Member

Where is mic?

14. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

On my MS I am pretty regularly on conf calls while driving and nobody realizes that I am in the car. On the MX though, it seems that the mic is located on the top left of the driver on the A pillar and if my face is not chin up then people are unable to hear me properly.

15. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Just one word of caution. If there are two people with phones that are paired with the Tesla, only the first one gets connected. You can see which one by touching the blue Bluetooth icon. You may be surprised to find that you think you are connected but actually using the phone, while the other phone which is connected to the Tesla sits idle.

This makes for some interesting situations when my wife's phone pairs first and she gets a call that I am not supposed to be privy with. :)

• Funny x 1
  16. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

I have had no problems using BT for calls with an iPhone 6s Plus. Even in heavy rain the other party could hear me well enough not to complain.

17. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

And there are mics on both driver & passenger sides, so today my wife (passenger) got a call and talked fine thru that mic with her iPhone. I'll start checking the BT icon to see who's boss each time, maybe who ever is closest when car starts.

18. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

Unrelated to Tesla, I think the entire Bluetooth system sucks. It should have been scrapped years ago for a better system. The only time I find Bluetooth living up to its hype is in a non moving environment like at home with no other devices interfering with the signal. It definitely is a poor choice for mobile communications.

19. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Yes. I think it is first come first served.

20. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

I've noticed the initial one to two second delay or bad quality, but that's due to the phone and not the model X. Next time, pay attention to your phone, if you've turned on wifi calling then it might be the problem. The switch from wifi to cellular or vice versa is enough for that delay. At least that was my issue, so I either turned off wifi calling or the wifi radio button before getting in the car.