Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where exactly is the microphone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks John. BTW Tesla replaced both my microphones, and in doing so, confirmed that I got a newer part number microphone that was apparently improved since the original mikes I used to have. My sound pickup is better now (and ambient noise less).
Thanks @derkan,
My voice over iPhone BT to mic is cracking a lot (says SO), and depends on my driving direction and speed maybe. Did you just request new mics at a SC visit? Is it a known issue and upgrade option?

Thanks @derkan,
My voice over iPhone BT to mic is cracking a lot (says SO), and depends on my driving direction and speed maybe. Did you just request new mics at a SC visit? Is it a known issue and upgrade option?
Yes I requested this after several SC visits and escalation, after somebody suggested it as a possible solution. They did not acknowledge this as a known issue because they kept obsessing about the bluetooth connection (and therefore, your phone) as being the culprit, instead of a microphone issue

I didn't see it mentioned, but perhaps a demo of google maps navigation while at the SC (start directions playing) to show that the BT is working well, playing directions through the sound system. If the nav instructions sound good (mine always sound great), then the car's mics should sound great to the phone for a phone call, also. (Since the nav is played through the car as a phone call, if they didn't know that.... :D )

This is to rule out BT being an issue, and then get on with replacing the mics' hardware!

I didn't see it mentioned, but perhaps a demo of google maps navigation while at the SC (start directions playing) to show that the BT is working well, playing directions through the sound system. If the nav instructions sound good (mine always sound great), then the car's mics should sound great to the phone for a phone call, also. (Since the nav is played through the car as a phone call, if they didn't know that.... :D )

This is to rule out BT being an issue, and then get on with replacing the mics' hardware!
Lee - I'm an electronics engineer and I understand your reasoning. However, the service center folk are not engineers, they are technicians following a script (except in my case they actually escalated to an engineer at HQ). I think they have a script for "bluetooth connection issues" but no script for "poor voice pickup / poor SNR for phone over bluetooth". They will say things like "yeah but when your voice goes over bluetooth to your phone, it follows a different path" and "bluetooth devices have their own noise and echo cancelling algorithms that are interfering". Then they'll say "it works great in my car" and "most people say it's clear" and "look, with my phone, in your parked car, I called another technician and we tested it and we concluded that he could hear me just fine".

What convinced them is when I explained - I tried with multiple phones, always the same problem. I tried my same phones loaner Teslas, no problem. Software/firmware is up to date (BTW apparently the bluetooth unit has its own firmware). There is an issue with my particular car since I've ruled out all my phones as the issue.

Lee - I'm an electronics engineer and I understand your reasoning. However, the service center folk are not engineers, they are technicians following a script (except in my case they actually escalated to an engineer at HQ). I think they have a script for "bluetooth connection issues" but no script for "poor voice pickup / poor SNR for phone over bluetooth". They will say things like "yeah but when your voice goes over bluetooth to your phone, it follows a different path" and "bluetooth devices have their own noise and echo cancelling algorithms that are interfering". Then they'll say "it works great in my car" and "most people say it's clear" and "look, with my phone, in your parked car, I called another technician and we tested it and we concluded that he could hear me just fine".

What convinced them is when I explained - I tried with multiple phones, always the same problem. I tried my same phones loaner Teslas, no problem. Software/firmware is up to date (BTW apparently the bluetooth unit has its own firmware). There is an issue with my particular car since I've ruled out all my phones as the issue.
Lol, from one EE to another, I hear you (no pun intended!). I bet they are following a script, but it seems weird that they would reject the BT test so quickly. Not sure what the ‘other BT path’ is for mic voice one way vs. speaker audio the other.

It does seem that they are either very willing or very unwilling to swap pieces depending on the phase of the moon sometimes!

My wife's MX that we took delivery on the end of March 2018, the BT Voice quality of the person in the car speaking is TERRIBLE! The previous 3 BMW X's that she has owned the BT Voice quality in them was the BEST I've ever heard. She could be doing 70 mph down the freeway and if I were to call her in the car, there is NO WAY I could tell she was on a BT Speaker phone in the car and doing 70 mph down the road. It was only if she turned her BLINKER on to change lanes could I tell. Fast forward to the MX and the complaint is that the quality is not that great. There is a lot more Background noise picked up by the microphone and the level is down. Just today we did a test while driving (I was in the passenger seat) and I made a call to my brother and alternated between 1: iPhone 7+ Standard ear speaker/microphone, 2:iPhone 7+ Speaker phone holding it on my lap and 3: BT speaker phone via the MX. We switched between the sources several times and assigned each one a score between 1-10.

iPhone held up to your ear(#1) was a 10.
iPhone on speaker was about an 8.
MX Bluetooth was about a 5

Another test we did was while on MX Bluetooth, we tapped on the little 1"x1" grills in the "A" pillar and the one on the driver side the person can definitely hear the taping. If you tap on the passenger side grill the person on the other end hears NOTHING.

Can someone in a MODEL X do the exact test by taping on each of the "A" pillar speaker grills and report what the other person on the phone hears?
I'm convinced that the passenger side microphone is NOT working and is contributing to the problem.
The RANGER technician was at the house today to fix a delivery problem(brought the wrong part) and he pulled the A pillar cover off on the passenger side and verified that it was connected. So there is SOMETHING there and not just a decorative grill to match the one on the drivers side.

THANKS ALL!!

When you taped on both MIC GRILLS was the caller on the other end able to confirm that both microphones were working?
On my wife's if you tap on the DRIVER the caller on the other end can hear the "TAP TAP TAP", when you tap on the PASSENGER MIC GRILL they caller on the other end hears nothing.
Meaning that microphone is not working, but the UNKNOWN is "IS IT SUPPOSED TO?".

I need to test the mics this weekend... Had a rare phonecall in the car today, and the person on the other end (just an appointment confirmation, so no chance to get them to try things out) seemed to hear me fine. I can call my GF in the house tomorrow and tap the mic grills and see what sort of pattern we are seeing here.

I would *assume* that if they installed two grills, they are supposed to work with functioning mics. No point in wasting time and money with grills and holes and all that just for aesthetic balance. :D