Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where have you seen rust?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of the metal work around the suspension areas seems to be protected (wheel studs for example - are they galvanised?, but I'm seeing rust on the threaded end of the axels. I've brushed a little waxoyl on these now to prevent future problems. Where has anybody else seen rust that can be protected?

Axel end thread rusting.png
)

Certainly an area I'll be looking at closely before accepting my car next week.

The theory that the decrease in the panel clearance on the left hand side may be due to the way the fasteners turn seems credible, too, especially if the front wings are bolted on by assembly robots. Interesting reading about some of the paint defects found, and that some may relate to the way the paint robots may have been programmed, so may well only effect earlier cars produced. That does raise the question about quality control, though, and how effectively cars are inspected during manufacture and before delivery. Fixing defects like these once the cars have been shipped half way around the world has to be an expensive way to do this, far better the work at getting the "right first time" process fixed.

A lot of the metal work around the suspension areas seems to be protected (wheel studs for example - are they galvanised?, but I'm seeing rust on the threaded end of the axels. I've brushed a little waxoyl on these now to prevent future problems. Where has anybody else seen rust that can be protected?

View attachment 476481 )
I'd get some rust remover on that first otherwise it will just continue. Clean it all then waxoyl it.