Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where in garage do you mount your wall connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the process of building a new house that should be ready around the same time as my Tesla 3 is delivered, where in the garage should we mount the wall charger? The switchboard is the right hand external wall of the garage near the door, so ideally the right side would be good. Garage internal dimensions will be 5.750m x 7.790m. I don't want the charger to interfere with opening car doors etc and also will it reach if the car is parked front or rear in?

Image attached.

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 7.52.55 pm.png

I back my Tesla into the garage as that’s the easiest with the shape of the driveway. I put my wall connector on the back wall in the middle between the two cars.
833C7E2C-3EE8-45E1-A21A-D1D325377A5B.jpeg

So this is the other side of the wall from your shower recess on your plan. I would also give consideration to ditching the instantaneous gas hot water and replace it with heat pump hot water and if planned ditch the gas cooking appliances with electric like an induction cooktop. Some of the additional cost will be offset by not having to connect to the gas supply. #StopBurningStuff

Last edited:
I back my Tesla into the garage as that’s the easiest with the shape of the driveway. I put my wall connector on the back wall in the middle between the two cars.

That’s what I did, you can see it in my avatar photo 😄. Although I always reverse the Tesla in now, for 2 reasons:
  • My garage door has zero setback from the footpath, so wide angle forward visibility is vital when exiting in order to check for pedestrians. The Tesla does not have a reversing beep to warn pedestrians, whereas the LEAF does, making reversing in this situation particularly dangerous.
  • With the HPWC on the rear wall, it’s easier to plug in the Tesla reversing in than forwarding in.

Reactions: TrickyRickyDoo

So this is the other side of the wall from your shower recess on your plan. I would also give consideration to ditching the instantaneous gas hot water and replace it with heat pump hot water and if planned ditch the gas cooking appliances with electric like an induction cooktop. Some of the additional cost will be offset by not having to connect to the gas supply. #StopBurningStuff
Thanks for this, that looks great. As for the instantaneous gas HWS, this is a bizarre one, we don't actually have a gas supply, but apparently for BASIX we'll have a Gas HWS... I really couldn't get my head around the builders explanation, but following handover we'll be installing solar panels and electric boiler before we move in.

Other people have been given the same story about BASIX but it's apparently not true, you just need an assessor that knows what they're doing.

Correct. Never take “this is what ya gotta do” for an answer - especially if it appears brainless like having to install a gas HWS when you are not having gas connected, but solar panels or solar HWS. Research it yourself, find out what the real rules are to challenge stuff like this, or find an assessor who knows what they are doing.

In 2018 when I had a relatively major renovation I wanted to add rooftop solar. To my utter astonishment, our allegedly progressive local Council rejected the solar panel part of the DA on heritage grounds, even though our house is not heritage listed. I was furious and did some research, and eventually found out that under NSW SEPP (Infrastructure) 2007, Council actually had no jurisdiction to refuse the installation of rooftop solar, provided it complied with some simple criteria (which it did)!

I could triumphantly tell Council to “get stuffed” and go ahead and do it. Which I did (the second part, not the first).

Sometimes ya gotta fight da man.