Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where in my garage should I install my NEMA 14-50 outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I'm getting a new house built this year, so, in anticipation of getting my Model 3 within the next 12-18 months, I told the builder to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in advance. Now the question I was asked next was where do I want the outlet installed? I originally always assumed I'd have it on my rear wall since that is where the breaker box is in my current townhome. However, since I now appear to be given the option to place it where I want, where do you guys think the ideal location to place the NEMA 14-50? From browsing the forums, I've seen people have them on the back wall, on the side walls, and even dropped down from above. I'll have a standard 2-car garage in my plan. Looking for opinions!

The Dorchester Floorplan - M/I Homes of Orlando

Will you have one big garage door, or two individual doors? Will you park nose in, or back in? If you have two doors and park nose in, I would put it on the narrow strip between the two doors. That way, regardless of which side you park, the cable will not get run over by your second car when plugged in.

My plan is to install the outlet adjacent to the garage door. This way, if I need to have my car parked overnight in the driveway for some reason, I can pull the charge cable out of the garage and still reach the car.

If you put the outlet in the back of the garage, then you probably won't be able to reach the car to charge if the car has to remain outside for some reason.

This assumes you will normally pull into the garage nose first, and then back into the driveway if you are going to leave the car outside.

Reactions: MikeC
Will you have one big garage door, or two individual doors? Will you park nose in, or back in? If you have two doors and park nose in, I would put it on the narrow strip between the two doors. That way, regardless of which side you park, the cable will not get run over by your second car when plugged in.

My house will have one big door, so this won't be an option. Definitely would have considered it though!

My plan is to install the outlet adjacent to the garage door. This way, if I need to have my car parked overnight in the driveway for some reason, I can pull the charge cable out of the garage and still reach the car.

If you put the outlet in the back of the garage, then you probably won't be able to reach the car to charge if the car has to remain outside for some reason.

This assumes you will normally pull into the garage nose first, and then back into the driveway if you are going to leave the car outside.

This sounds like the best option and makes the most sense for me. I park nose in when I do park in the garage, although I currently don't because we use one half for storage and I let my wife get the garage spot (don't plan on having this happen with the new house though!). But I still like the option of having it in the front if I ever DO need to park outside of the garage.

Now the question is, does it matter which side I get it installed on? Do all Tesla's have their connections on the same side?

I put a NEMA 14-50 mounted at left rear of garage since i plan to back in to the spot. Mounting height 5ft, why? Because if i replace with Tesla charger later i can have the height available to hang the 8ft charging cord without hitting the ground.

I put a NEMA 14-50 mounted at left rear of garage since i plan to back in to the spot. Mounting height 5ft, why? Because if i replace with Tesla charger later i can have the height available to hang the 8ft charging cord without hitting the ground.
I had both of my 14-50 outlets mounted at 5 feet too. This makes it easier to manage the UMC cord and if you have kids, you don't have to worry about them sticking things into an outlet mounted closer to the floor.

I had my HPWC installed on the back wall offset a little to the left of center so it could reach the back driver's side of either car parked nose in. I don't know if I'll ever own two Teslas but I did it just in case and didn't cost any extra to do it. BTW, it's a 2 car, single door garage.

I had mine installed on the side wall around 3/4 of the way toward the garage door. I then installed my JuiceBox Pro nearby. The thinking being that this makes the cable easily reach the front of a nose-in vehicle (our XC90's plug), as well as the rear of a nose-in vehicle on either side of the garage (eg future Model 3) as well as the nose of a backed-in vehicle on either side (eg our Leaf), even when two cars are in the garage. We have a tight 2-car garage, so the back wall would have made cable maneuvering while vehicles are in the garage more difficult.

This is what I did. The outlet is next to the door, about 5' up. I usually back my car in, and the cord is long enough to plug it in there. If I want to be outside, it is easily long enough for that. Also, should anyone need to plug in and I am not home, we can arrange for me to leave the end outside with my door down. This will probably never happen, as we have a Supercharger in town, and it is easier for out-of-towners to go there.

Bob

I'm in a townhouse, where my single car garage has my neighbor's single car garage to the left. My circuit panel is under my front door.

I am installing my juice on the right side of my garage, close to the door. I am getting either the HPWC with a 24ft cord or the mobile charger with a 20ft cord. I will hang removable hooks from the garage door track so I can drape the cord hanging above the car when I pull in nose first, to reach the charge port on the left rear panel. Or if I'm parked in the driveway, I can pull the charger out and charge there.

Please see attached illustration. I am selling signed copies of this masterpiece for $35/ea. I'm looking to sell 1,000 of them.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Funny
Reactions: CCWgr and S3XY
FWIW - I think this is the best spot for charging. We have a two-car garage (single door) and plan to add the 3 later this year. Even then, we'll simply park the car that needs charging in that spot, so no real need for two chargers or for a more universal location. I was hoping for a slightly cleaner install (no conduit) but electrician swore that the new HPWC didn't work that way and he ran that conduit. Aesthetics aside, this has been perfect for us.

And yes, if you can run a 100 amp line, definitely do it. And go for the HPWC.

IMG_1073.jpg
IMG_1071.jpg

Pet peeve: unfinished sheetrock and tape. Never could figure out how people live with that.
My 14-50 is at the entrance to the garage, left side (two car, single door).
Robin

Haha - I thought I would too but builder wouldn't accommodate (said it's very rare, at least in the Northwest because of moisture and climate). Still considering finishing it, but we're rarely in there and it's way easier to mount, wire, etc. Saves tons of time and money treating it like a garage vs. a (show)room.

Reactions: sandange