Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where in my garage should I install my NEMA 14-50 outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't need the reel retractors system, you could easily use a counter balanced weight on a pulley for it to retract or just measure the length so it doesn't hit the floor and let it hang near the charging door on the car.

Last edited:
I would install the HPWC on the ceiling

That's what I did -- my HPWC is mounted on the ceiling in the middle of my garage. That way, it can also reach the charge port while I park in the driveway. That was important to me since I go to my cabin a lot on weekends and I can keep all doors, frunk and trunk fully open while I pack and it gets those much needed miles while I piddle around getting ready to go. It's also good for when I get my Model 3 since it will easily reach to charge a vehicle parked on either side of the garage. Plus, the cable is hanging right by the charge port when I come home and park in the garage so no need to go anywhere to get it. I have it on a bungy cord to keep it off the ground. Nothing fancy like in that video but it works well for me.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
My plan is to install the outlet adjacent to the garage door. This way, if I need to have my car parked overnight in the driveway for some reason, I can pull the charge cable out of the garage and still reach the car.

If you put the outlet in the back of the garage, then you probably won't be able to reach the car to charge if the car has to remain outside for some reason.

This assumes you will normally pull into the garage nose first, and then back into the driveway if you are going to leave the car outside.

I agree with this post. I sometimes park in my driveway and because the outlet is near the garage door, I can still easily charge.

Well, not really finished. They are taped and spackled. Waiting for paint (which would not add any R value but look a lot better). I think contractors just skate by with this because they can.
Imagine what the Master Clickbaiters (or is it Click Masterbaiters?) at Seeking Alpha would say if Tesla left trunk spaces unfinished because after all it's just a place to toss stuff and carpeting just holds moisture.
Anyway, this is my pet peeve (along with garage spaces filled with junk and not cars) and no one needs to pay it the slightest bit of attention.
Robin

Well, not really finished. They are taped and spackled. Waiting for paint (which would not add any R value but look a lot better). I think contractors just skate by with this because they can.
Imagine what the Master Clickbaiters (or is it Click Masterbaiters?) at Seeking Alpha would say if Tesla left trunk spaces unfinished because after all it's just a place to toss stuff and carpeting just holds moisture.
Anyway, this is my pet peeve (along with garage spaces filled with junk and not cars) and no one needs to pay it the slightest bit of attention.
Robin
The drywall wouldn't hold moisture if they didn't use paper coated drywall. It's the paper coating that causes the problems. And yes, you can get non-paper-coated drywall, it is trickier to install.

Just installed mine in a position that I can back into the garage but now the wait will be torture.

Attachments

• IMG_20170209_181340.jpg
    IMG_20170209_181340.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: CCWgr
My plan is to install the outlet adjacent to the garage door. This way, if I need to have my car parked overnight in the driveway for some reason, I can pull the charge cable out of the garage and still reach the car.

If you put the outlet in the back of the garage, then you probably won't be able to reach the car to charge if the car has to remain outside for some reason.

This assumes you will normally pull into the garage nose first, and then back into the driveway if you are going to leave the car outside.

I agree with this post. I sometimes park in my driveway and because the outlet is near the garage door, I can still easily charge.

I've had this arrangement since 2012
and find it the most flexible for parking options and also great for guests needing a charge.