TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Where is CANBUS connector in Model X?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by hallcp, Nov 3, 2018.

1. hallcp

hallcp Member

There are a lot of videos on youtube showing how Model S owners simply drop down their little cubby box in the dashboard, and reach in to pull out a white CAN bus connector (presumably for Tesla techinicians). With a cable matching CAN bus pins with some on an OBD2 connector you can stick on a Bluetooth/OBD2 adapter and then use the TM-Spy app on your Android device to see internal info on your battery, etc.

The problem is, there's a console beneath the cubby on the Model X, and there's no way to drop it down. Some posts vaguely reference that the connector is now in the passenger footwell, but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Following instructions from Tesla on how to access a 12V accessory wire ("Model X Spare Power Circuit") I have pulled away part of the right side of the console, then pulled out the little carpet section on the left side of the footwell. But I do not see any loose connectors or even any that look like the CAN bus connector.

Has anyone found this connector on a Model X?

Thanks!

2. DCGOO

DCGOO Active Member

Well, there is an ethernet cable above the cubby, with a customer hostile connector on it. That is where the techs connect their laptop to your car. Cannot say in regard to CAN bus. The cubby is meant to be removable, although it is attached with some pretty stiff spring loaded clips. But it is readily removable by pushing down on the front bottom of the cubby. Standing on your thumbs helps. You'll swear you are going to break something, but it does come out. It gets easier to remove after a few times. No need to attack the console below.

But, can you not just use the provided OBDII port for your device? The 12V power tap is a cable hanging down just above the OBDII port. That is where the trailer brake controller pigtail is meant to plug in to. 12v always on, 20-amp fuse. On LHD cars, the OBD port is on the far left side on top, nearly against the kick panel.

3. 28260

28260 Member

#3 28260, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    I have looked behind the cubby and can't find the CAN bus that shows in many youtube videos. I am trying to use the TM-Spy application and have the necessary hardware to plug into the CAN bus.. BUT it's not there.

I tried putting the Bluetooth adapter directly into the OBD-II port under the dash with no luck.
    If it sounds like I don't know what I'm doing, that's right.

My car is a model S 2017 P90D

Any ideas? Need help.