Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is CANBUS connector in Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a lot of videos on youtube showing how Model S owners simply drop down their little cubby box in the dashboard, and reach in to pull out a white CAN bus connector (presumably for Tesla techinicians). With a cable matching CAN bus pins with some on an OBD2 connector you can stick on a Bluetooth/OBD2 adapter and then use the TM-Spy app on your Android device to see internal info on your battery, etc.

The problem is, there's a console beneath the cubby on the Model X, and there's no way to drop it down. Some posts vaguely reference that the connector is now in the passenger footwell, but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Following instructions from Tesla on how to access a 12V accessory wire ("Model X Spare Power Circuit") I have pulled away part of the right side of the console, then pulled out the little carpet section on the left side of the footwell. But I do not see any loose connectors or even any that look like the CAN bus connector.

Has anyone found this connector on a Model X?

Thanks!

There are a lot of videos on youtube showing how Model S owners simply drop down their little cubby box in the dashboard, and reach in to pull out a white CAN bus connector (presumably for Tesla techinicians). With a cable matching CAN bus pins with some on an OBD2 connector you can stick on a Bluetooth/OBD2 adapter and then use the TM-Spy app on your Android device to see internal info on your battery, etc.

The problem is, there's a console beneath the cubby on the Model X, and there's no way to drop it down. Some posts vaguely reference that the connector is now in the passenger footwell, but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Following instructions from Tesla on how to access a 12V accessory wire ("Model X Spare Power Circuit") I have pulled away part of the right side of the console, then pulled out the little carpet section on the left side of the footwell. But I do not see any loose connectors or even any that look like the CAN bus connector.

Has anyone found this connector on a Model X?

Thanks!

Well, there is an ethernet cable above the cubby, with a customer hostile connector on it. That is where the techs connect their laptop to your car. Cannot say in regard to CAN bus. The cubby is meant to be removable, although it is attached with some pretty stiff spring loaded clips. But it is readily removable by pushing down on the front bottom of the cubby. Standing on your thumbs helps. You'll swear you are going to break something, but it does come out. It gets easier to remove after a few times. No need to attack the console below.

But, can you not just use the provided OBDII port for your device? The 12V power tap is a cable hanging down just above the OBDII port. That is where the trailer brake controller pigtail is meant to plug in to. 12v always on, 20-amp fuse. On LHD cars, the OBD port is on the far left side on top, nearly against the kick panel.

I have looked behind the cubby and can't find the CAN bus that shows in many youtube videos. I am trying to use the TM-Spy application and have the necessary hardware to plug into the CAN bus.. BUT it's not there.

I tried putting the Bluetooth adapter directly into the OBD-II port under the dash with no luck.
If it sounds like I don't know what I'm doing, that's right.

My car is a model S 2017 P90D

Any ideas? Need help.

Last edited:
I wanted to follow up on my original Nov. 2018 post. I recently lost my keyfob and ordered a new one from Tesla. The Ranger was coming by to fix a taillight filled with water and he also brought the keyfob and programmed it. The programming process involves removing this cubby and accessing the cables we've been discussing.

To remove the cubby he placed his hand palm down inside it, then applied downward pressure until it popped down. (He made it look easy!) The little cubby tray is held in by two snap-in connectors at the front and has two tabs at the back that slot into something behind the cubby. In order to program the fob the technician pulled down a cable from in there and since I was asking about the CAN bus he pulled down that connector as well. He pulled them both out at once so they must be located in the same area up above the cubby. (I wish I had taken pictures.)

The proprietary connector he connected to the laptop looked like a squarish thing with a socket in it, about 3/8" square and blue. The CAN3 bus connector was white and about 3/8"x1-1/2" inch, matching the cable I bought off the internet. There's plenty of room to connect everything and shove it up out of the way. My new cable was threaded out of the dash to the passenger side where we pulled off the side plastic piece and positioned it all back so the OBD2 connector peeks out above the plastic.

Once the fob was programmed, the tech took care to position the cables up and out of the way then put the cubby back in place, locating the tabs and slots by feel, then simply pushed it back up into place. Voila!