TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where is Half Life 3?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by anticitizen13.7, Jul 13, 2014.

1. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

It's been almost 7 years since the cliffhanger of Half Life 2: Episode Two. I can't even remember what happened at the end of that game. It's been so long that I don't even own a gaming PC anymore. I just want to know what the &(*$! happens to Gordon Freeman and Blarney. :cursing:

So what the hell are Gabe Newell and the people at Valve doing? Someone out of frustration has apparently put up a kickstarter for "Half Life 3" although this has to be some kind of trademark violation.

Well, there's still 5 or 6 more years before they exceed the StarCraft drought. It was something like 12 years between the release of StarCraft Brood War and StarCraft 2: Wings of Libertines. I'm surprised nobody in Korea went on hunger strike for that travesty of a delay. Seriously, who cares about World of WarCraft?:scared:

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Valve, like Blizzard in the time between StarCraft games, has been busy with some pretty big hits. Portal and Portal 2 ring a bell? DOTA 2? Maybe they just don't see a reason for another Half Life game. :smile: And Steam is a heck of an accomplishment too.

3. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

Valve has been very busy, with something like 8 games released since 2007, many of them very successful. I don't think they have been lazy.

It's just frustrating to have the story of Half Life end on a major cliffhanger. At least with StarCraft there was some kind of resolution with Brood War: forces from Earth beaten back, Arcturus Mengsk in control of the Terran colonies, and Kerrigan ascending as the Queen of Spades. With Half Life 2… the alien combine was left all over Earth when the last episode ended, albeit the occupying forces were cut off from the rest of their empire.

4. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Valve has made Linux a viable gaming platform, for which I am eternally grateful. They even ported the old HL games to Linux.

But yes, HL3 would be nice.

5. wart

wart Member

6. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

oh the amt of time I've wasted on Quake, HL, HL2, Team Fortress, etc.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Well they taught the TF2 characters to dance the Conga. What more could you ask? :tongue: