Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is Model Y 2022 USB Data Port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model Y delivered in the end of Feb. Without having to insert any USB drive, I could turn on the dash cam recording + sentry mode. All the video clips are saved fine and I can replay them if needed.

Later on, I inserted a USB drive into one of the front USB-C port, and clicked "Format USB Drive". This did remove all the video clips I had (before I insert the USB), but didn't do anything to the USB drive I inserted. I wonder where is this hidden USB drive? Did Tesla remove the port and make the drive unreachable? This doesn't make senses if I need to look at it from my computer?

To clarify, I checked glove box and didn't see any USB-A port there.

Solution
When you formatted the USB drive you were actually formatting the Tesla USB thumb drive inside the glove box. Tesla installed the USB thumb drive in the glove box prior to delivery. The USB-A data port is on the left side of the glove box. See second photo.

USB Drive - 128 GB
I still can’t get my USBa adapter with music to work in my Jan 2022 MY. I’ve used a hub In the center console and a hub in the glove box and I can’t get my Tesla to recognize the USBa with music on it. The usb does play on my laptop and is in FAT32 format.

Upvote 0
I still can’t get my USBa adapter with music to work in my Jan 2022 MY. I’ve used a hub In the center console and a hub in the glove box and I can’t get my Tesla to recognize the USBa with music on it. The usb does play on my laptop and is in FAT32 format.
Depending on the date of production, the current center console USB ports are power only, no data. There is a way to retrofit the center console USB ports with a working data module. Console Data Transmission Module
Not all USB hubs work with the data port in the glove box. There is a discussion on this forum regarding it.

Upvote 0
Depending on the date of production, the current center console USB ports are power only, no data. There is a way to retrofit the center console USB ports with a working data module. Console Data Transmission Module
Not all USB hubs work with the data port in the glove box. There is a discussion on this forum regarding it.
It shows a difficulty of Two at parts wrenches out of 5.
I will definitely look at doing this with some old USB music devices.

Upvote 0
So has anyone had any difficulties or bugs with the Tparts after market conversion for AMD MYP on the Monitor.
There’s only 3 reviews on their website and at $75, curious if it really does power and data without messing with the audio playback.

T parts -CONSOLE DATA TRANSMISSION MODULE​

1647315408633.jpeg

Upvote 0
Reactions: Shorey1
Upvote 0
Is Tesla bringing back the center console usb-c data ports for new Model Ys? I thought the data port discontinuation at the end of 2021 was supposed to be temporary.
I am expecting delivery this month and am hoping the Model Y will come with additional data ports beyond the one for Sentry recording in the glove box.
How is everyone playing music from a USB drive or using wired game controllers?

Upvote 0
Is Tesla bringing back the center console usb-c data ports for new Model Ys? I thought the data port discontinuation at the end of 2021 was supposed to be temporary.
I am expecting delivery this month and am hoping the Model Y will come with additional data ports beyond the one for Sentry recording in the glove box.
How is everyone playing music from a USB drive or using wired game controllers?

I never saw any mention from Tesla that the omission of data ability in center console usb-c module shipped in 2022 model y/3 was temporary. In fact, very recent model y builds lack the data cables which were present in early 2022 builds which made the retrofit easy. but third party vendors now offer the cables with their alternative usb modules which support data & power I hear. There has been no word about newer Model Y/3 getting data capable center console usb-c ports.
Not sure what others do for music and games but if you search around I am sure you will see their so.unions. I have a third party usb module which supports data & power usb-c ports so that is what I use for usb music devices and wired game controllers (powerA brand). I plugged two Small usb-c to usb-a converters in to the usb-c ports so I can use my older usb-a devices. Two player beach buggy racer and skyforce work great & music from usb stick works great.
If you live in USA, Tesla recently started selling their oem usb-c module ( part 1755200-00-B ) which supports data and power. Previously they would refuse. I picked one up yesterday for $35 usd as backup in the event my third party module breaks and it becomes hard to find the part again. I do not think this means tesla will include the part in new builds. Tesla might have realized they have extra stock and want to offload them. 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
There's no data capability, only type "C"charging.
The above statement is true when receiving the car brand new. However, with third party upgrades you can have data and charging ability from the from usb-c ports. I installed the T-Parts module around 2/2022 and also bought Tesla OEM module which supports data and power (Tesla started selling it to people in USA but won't install) as a backup. Abstract ocean also makes an updated module.

Upvote 0
I got my Model Y delivered in the end of Feb. Without having to insert any USB drive, I could turn on the dash cam recording + sentry mode. All the video clips are saved fine and I can replay them if needed.

Later on, I inserted a USB drive into one of the front USB-C port, and clicked "Format USB Drive". This did remove all the video clips I had (before I insert the USB), but didn't do anything to the USB drive I inserted. I wonder where is this hidden USB drive? Did Tesla remove the port and make the drive unreachable? This doesn't make senses if I need to look at it from my computer?

To clarify, I checked glove box and didn't see any USB-A port there.
The Sentry usb port is the only type A on 2020 MYLR and other vehicles

Upvote 0