Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is regen setting on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening everyone,

Just picked up our model 3 MIC LR and wanted to find the regen braking option, and I can't find it.
Looking where it should be from YouTube videos, it should be under driving and the third option down, but there is nothing there on ours?

Any help would be great.

Thank you very much, been driving me mad for a couple of hours trying to find it!

On earlier cars you can choose standard or low level regen. Some people switch to low regen if they want to give their brakes a bit of use! The only time I've used it is in very icy weather to avoid the back wheels locking up (RWD SR+) ... not that I've ever experienced the wheels locking up ... but that's the theory! The cold weather in the circumstances reduces the regen anyway. On any car you can vary your regen just by being very gentle as you lift off the accelerator ... in fact you can coast ... keep half an eye on the power/regen line above the visualisations on the screen to see if you are between using power and gaining charge.

Reactions: carvolution
They removed the option from new cars earlier this year. It’s always on for you

Mines a September 2020 model with the option to alter the regen setting which I use when I've the family in the car since they don't like hard regen. I know I can control it by feathering the throttle but I love the one foot driving with hard regen & hold.
I just hope its not removed in a future software update.

Reactions: carvolution
Cars of yesteryear seemed to have a broad range of gear selection, clutch sensitivity and bite point peculiarities. I prided myself on being able to adapt my driving style so that passengers didn't bounce their heads off the windscreen on gear each change whatever I drove! In fact my aim, on gaining familiarity with the car, was always to achieve invisible gear changes when driving in "chauffeur mode" i.e. passengers should not be aware of the gear change other than by hearing the varying engine note. Some cars were harder than others but it was always achievable. Super-smooth progress whilst driving in standard regen is very easily maintained in comparison... look on it as a challenge!

[My biggest "failure" was being asked to drive a family member's car (that I had never driven before) in a funeral cortege. Their car was parked directly behind the hearse so we all got in and waited for the hearse to slowly glide away with us to follow. I took care to ease the clutch which seemed to be almost at the top of its travel before it suddenly grabbed ... suffice to say we nearly joined the coffin in the back of the hearse!]

[My biggest "failure" was being asked to drive a family member's car (that I had never driven before) in a funeral cortege. Their car was parked directly behind the hearse so we all got in and waited for the hearse to slowly glide away with us to follow. I took care to ease the clutch which seemed to be almost at the top of its travel before it suddenly grabbed ... suffice to say we nearly joined the coffin in the back of the hearse!]

Completely off-topic:

Was asked to drop a friend's ashes from the air, whilst flying low along a ridge, with all the mourners stood on the top. Had the ashes in the plastic urn from the crematorium, where they pack them inside a plastic bag. I opted to just take the bag out of the urn, open it and tip the contents out through the door of the aeroplane, that I cracked open a few inches. Got the height and track spot on, picked the right instant to release the ashes, then found that a fair proportion of my friend's remains were now all over me and the inside of the cockpit . . .

Took me a couple of hours after I'd landed to clean both the aeroplane and myself.

Out of interest what was the reasoning behind Tesla removing the option from newer models but keeping the option available on older models? I have have a sept 2020 model 3 and apart from when "servicing the brakes" never changed the setting

It would be nice to have some kind of commentary from Tesla giving a summary of why certain changes have been implemented. They could acknowledge that in some instances they have responded to customer requests for example (e.g. position of "hold" icon and introduction of options for cruise control speed setting a while ago.) In the case of the regen options changes we are completely in the dark as they seem to remain with the earlier cars ... so why the change?

The change in position for the Hold symbol is understandable. I found it difficult to see when the moved it the first time.
The change in regen setting I find odd but the fact it's only on later cars does suggest it could be linked with a hardware change?

Completely off-topic:

Was asked to drop a friend's ashes from the air, whilst flying low along a ridge, with all the mourners stood on the top. Had the ashes in the plastic urn from the crematorium, where they pack them inside a plastic bag. I opted to just take the bag out of the urn, open it and tip the contents out through the door of the aeroplane, that I cracked open a few inches. Got the height and track spot on, picked the right instant to release the ashes, then found that a fair proportion of my friend's remains were now all over me and the inside of the cockpit . . .

Took me a couple of hours after I'd landed to clean both the aeroplane and myself.
You don't want to know what happens when ashes are scattered from a helicopter.....

I haven't driven the car at night for a while and certainly not since the 'revised' display was introduced.
It was raining and I had been blinded by several new cars with their fancy new headlights and was very conscious of not wanting to do the same when I noticed the blue light above the headlight indication. After fannying about flashing my headlights and blinding people in the process, I realised it was just the 'Drive' indication.
Damn silly colour choice if you ask me especially next to the headlight indication.

I noticed the blue light above the headlight indication. After fannying about flashing my headlights and blinding people in the process, I realised it was just the 'Drive' indication.

When we are driving and the speedometer is indicating, I think we know we are in 'drive'.;)
The only time there might be some confusion is when we are stationary and are selecting Drive or Reverse, then instead of showing '0' for speed it should show 'D' or 'R' instead.
Likewise the speed can be replaced by a 'P' when we or the car engage park.

When 'Hold' is active (H) should replace the speed indication - no need to look for it.:D

That's saved a bit of screen real estate.

Perhaps we should have a thread on DRUID - Driver Recommended User Interface Design

When we are driving and the speedometer is indicating, I think we know we are in 'drive'.;)
The only time there might be some confusion is when we are stationary and are selecting Drive or Reverse, then instead of showing '0' for speed it should show 'D' or 'R' instead.
Likewise the speed can be replaced by a 'P' when we or the car engage park.

When 'Hold' is active (H) should replace the speed indication - no need to look for it.:D

That's saved a bit of screen real estate.

Perhaps we should have a thread on DRUID - Driver Recommended User Interface Design
And whilst on the subject of DRUID, may I suggest (and then keep my head down :rolleyes:) that in preference STONEHENGE is actually used instead:
‘So Tesla Often Needlessly Enshrine Haphazard Enhancements Negating Greater Enjoyment’