Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is Solid White exterior option in the Design Center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny thing is that I've always preferred black cars. My 1st car (and only) car has been a black E class ... never wanted white in that car but the MS looks very good in multiple colors.
I'm quite the opposite — black is one of my least-liked colors for cars. I'd pay the extra to get another color just so I don't have to deal with black. I was disappointed that Tesla got rid of solid white since I like it better than pearl white.

My hypothesis is that Tesla discontinued solid white because so many cars were ordered with it that getting rid of it, as a base color, causes more buyers to upgrade the color for extra $$. The still have the black so they can show a lower base price on each model, but now more buyers pay extra for the color upgrade.

A detailer who works on a lot of Tesla's told me that the standard black is the worst pain ever it's very soft always has lots of defects takes them forever to try to correct and they can never correct it completely.

And he said the best paint is the pearl white which is more often flawless or very easy to correct.

I never saw a car wear solid white as well as the Model S. Simply gorgeous.
I also think the Model S wears all its colors exceptionally well. It's a beautifully designed car.

Buy what you love, and you'll enjoy it even more.
Congrats to you!

They discontinued white exactly when the autopilot 2 hardware was introduced. They'd had an incident before with the autopilot having difficulty distinguishing the background sky from a large white object. White is a popular color so I figured there might be a problem with the cameras and the bright white. Maybe both that silver and the white went for the same reason.

I like white, all our cars are white, and I'd have ordered white even if priced as a premium color. It stays cool to the touch in the summer, it is always one of the most popular colors, and I believe it is safest with a white car being most easily seen.

When they discontinued white I emailed Tesla to see if it was permanently gone or would it be back. I got a reply that the'd deleted it in order to make my ordering decisions less complex. From this, One would gather I'm thought capable of interacting with most complex automobile software environment available but the one time color choices were just a wee bit too complex for me. This seems unlikely so I wrote that explanation off as spin.

Choice 1 is that perhaps they eliminated a real problem at exactly the time they introduced the new camera setup. Choice 2 is that Tesla recognized a bit of complexity in their ordering system so decided to make things simpler by eliminating one of the colors people selected most.
Choice 3 is that they want people to spend money for a premium paint color instead of a base color to increase revenue.
Choice 4 is what someone else suggested, that they might be reserving white to later identify self driving fleet cars.
Choice 5 is that Tesla has developed some sort of new problem painting their cars white (or silver).

I'm thinking choice 1 is probably more likely than most of the others. I'd like to think they don't really consider us the color confused simpletons that their official email suggests.

Choice 1 is that perhaps they eliminated a real problem at exactly the time they introduced the new camera setup. Choice 2 is that Tesla recognized a bit of complexity in their ordering system so decided to make things simpler by eliminating one of the colors people selected most.
Choice 3 is that they want people to spend money for a premium paint color instead of a base color to increase revenue.
Choice 4 is what someone else suggested, that they might be reserving white to later identify self driving fleet cars.
Choice 5 is that Tesla has developed some sort of new problem painting their cars white (or silver).

For what it's worth (and I doubt it's much), I asked this question back in November and was told by the OA that it was discontinued because Tesla was losing money on solid white as it was "just as expensive to paint as pearl white."

They discontinued white exactly when the autopilot 2 hardware was introduced. They'd had an incident before with the autopilot having difficulty distinguishing the background sky from a large white object. White is a popular color so I figured there might be a problem with the cameras and the bright white. Maybe both that silver and the white went for the same reason.

I like white, all our cars are white, and I'd have ordered white even if priced as a premium color. It stays cool to the touch in the summer, it is always one of the most popular colors, and I believe it is safest with a white car being most easily seen.

When they discontinued white I emailed Tesla to see if it was permanently gone or would it be back. I got a reply that the'd deleted it in order to make my ordering decisions less complex. From this, One would gather I'm thought capable of interacting with most complex automobile software environment available but the one time color choices were just a wee bit too complex for me. This seems unlikely so I wrote that explanation off as spin.

I'm thinking choice 1 is probably more likely than most of the others. I'd like to think they don't really consider us the color confused simpletons that their official email suggests.
Totally false on the white being discontinued because of the AP2 introduction. Isn't there millions of other cars, trucks, trailers, etc that would still be white and what the cameras would actually be looking at? AP cameras are not looking at the car it's equipped on.

It was purely a profit motive. White is popular and was/is high take rate, so figured if people really wanted white, they would have to spring for the extra cost to get it.

Totally false on the white being discontinued because of the AP2 introduction. Isn't there millions of other cars, trucks, trailers, etc that would still be white and what the cameras would actually be looking at? AP cameras are not looking at the car it's equipped on.

It was purely a profit motive. White is popular and was/is high take rate, so figured if people really wanted white, they would have to spring for the extra cost to get it.

It wasn't meant as a true false. I thought there was a camera in or around the rear view mirror. Even if a part of the car is in a camera's field of view it seems it should be fairly easy to mask it out in software. As you say, the cameras need to deal with external white objects. If no AP2 camera sees any part of the equipped vehicle, then that would seem to rule out vehicle color as a concern with the AP2 system.

I would rather have white even as a premium color. Pearl white was a second choice. The $5000 price drop and the $1000 referral credit are nice. I'll live with the pearl. It isn't white, though. I got a VIN assigned today.

Last edited:
Reactions: mobe