Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the 70D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I am trying to get at is that once we go to the regular models, they will probably announce other versions, right?

Not necessarily. So far the P90D and 90D have been announced. Signatures can only get the P90D. Therefore it seems like the initial options for production reservation holders will be the P90D and 90D. Perhaps in 6 months or so a smaller battery may be introduced, but that is total speculation.

"Later."
There are still a handful of questions about the Tesla Model X following the unveiling the other day. One of the bigger questions, which has been swirling around Tesla discussion threads for weeks… or months, has been whether or not lower-cost, lower-range versions of the X would be available. All the details we’ve seen so far have been about the 90D and P90D, which use 90 kWh batteries.
All but confirming that there will be 70D and P70D (or maybe 80D and P80D) options for buyers looking for less range at a lower cost, Elon sent out this tweet last night:
Btw, price of Model X is actually only $5k more than S. Lower cost versions coming later.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) September 30, 2015

Full story at:
http://evobsession.com/lower-cost-tesla-model-x-versions-are-planned-elon-tweets/

Yes.
I posted a longer story in another thread about how I spoke to 2 different engineers at the model X event who specifically said 80 thousand would be the base price (not sure why Elon hasn't just said 80 as opposed to 5k more).

They also hinted that it wouldn't be a 70D but rather something bigger.

Yes.
I posted a longer story in another thread about how I spoke to 2 different engineers at the model X event who specifically said 80 thousand would be the base price (not sure why Elon hasn't just said 80 as opposed to 5k more).

They also hinted that it wouldn't be a 70D but rather something bigger.
If the battery will be bigger then 70 kWh, it will cost 5k more then a like Model S and it will cost 80k, could this mean that they will take away the 70 kWh battery? This could also mean that they will take away the 85 kWh option so that you only could chose between 75 and 90 or 80 and 90?

If the battery will be bigger then 70 kWh, it will cost 5k more then a like Model S and it will cost 80k, could this mean that they will take away the 70 kWh battery? This could also mean that they will take away the 85 kWh option so that you only could chose between 75 and 90 or 80 and 90?

Thats a good point. Probably for the sake of uniformity it would make sense to bump the base model S to 75 if they're doing the same for the X.

I wonder if anyone has looked at the timeline of when each battery size went extinct? First the 40, then the 60, and now the 70? Presumably with enough data points we might be able to start predicting when NOT to buy a tesla cuz they are due for a battery bump. Much the way macrumors has a buyers guide for when certain apple products are "due for upgrade".

Thats a good point. Probably for the sake of uniformity it would make sense to bump the base model S to 75 if they're doing the same for the X.

I wonder if anyone has looked at the timeline of when each battery size went extinct? First the 40, then the 60, and now the 70? Presumably with enough data points we might be able to start predicting when NOT to buy a tesla cuz they are due for a battery bump. Much the way macrumors has a buyers guide for when certain apple products are "due for upgrade".
I have read at some places that some think that if Model III will have about 200-250 miles of range in base model that it will be to small gap up to Model S. But if tesla will present a new bigger battery in 2017 like Elon Musk said for some days ago it could mean that they at the same time will higher the capacity on the base model. 85 or 90 kWh battery maybe will be the base battery for Model S and X by 2017?

I'm hoping they do indeed come out with a smaller battery version that is maybe ~205 miles. Not that I want a smaller battery, but the cost is seriously around the point where 10K can be the difference between a go and no go for purchase. I am still running under the assumption the switch to a 70 kWh battery in the S was in preparation for the Model X, to ensure the base smaller battery X has enough range and can use the same batteries as the S. But that's all speculation.

I'm hoping they do indeed come out with a smaller battery version that is maybe ~205 miles. Not that I want a smaller battery, but the cost is seriously around the point where 10K can be the difference between a go and no go for purchase. I am still running under the assumption the switch to a 70 kWh battery in the S was in preparation for the Model X, to ensure the base smaller battery X has enough range and can use the same batteries as the S. But that's all speculation.
I don't say that I don't like that idea but the fact that they already have taken away booth 40 and 60 kWh battery point in the other direction. As I said in the other comment, I believe that they want some different in range between Model S and Model III just to make sure that people still buy it and not everyone will go after Model III.

- - - Updated - - -

So I am number 19xx. If it gets to my number, and I don't want a 90D, I hope I am not kicked off the list.
If they will offer other battery then 90 kWh which they very likely will they will present this as soon as the first normal production start. Signature edition is full equipt but I don't believe they will make the same with normal production.

I too am on the borderline and a 70,80 keeps it affordable enough to make the plunge. However at 100k+, its out of my budget.

Biggest fear, getting to my res number and only have the 90 option

You can defer once.

https://my.teslamotors.com/sites/de...chments/20131105-model_x_agreement-ca-pdf.pdf

"If you do not wish to enter into a Purchase Agreement at the time that you are contacted by Tesla, you have the option to relinquish your reservation sequence position and defer to a later position to be determined by us (only one deferral is permitted)."

I'm guessing you agreed to the contract without reading it...

Actually, that's the Canadian agreement. But the U.S. agreement has exactly the same wording. https://my.teslamotors.com/sites/de...ments/20120803-model_x_agreement-us-pdf_0.pdf

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 7.25.08 PM.png

Musk just answered the 70D question on twitter. Sent a bunch of tweets with some new info, including the fact that the Model 3 or Y will also have falcon wing doors.

I too am on the borderline and a 70,80 keeps it affordable enough to make the plunge. However at 100k+, its out of my budget.

Biggest fear, getting to my res number and only have the 90 option

At least with Model S, there were plenty of early reservation holders that didn't want the big battery. The way I remember how things went, they configured using the smaller batter config and sat in the production queue for a few months before they started getting built. I expect that once they're into the production queue, based on what happened with Model S, we'll have information and people will be configuring big and small battery cars.

Tesla won't be building the smaller battery cars for some indeterminate period while they focus on satisfying the higher priced car demand, but it'll come.

Or they won't provide the smaller battery info / pricing for awhile, and you'll coast along with an invitation to configure and confirm, but let them know what info / options you're waiting on, and you'll just coast along for that info to come along.

My point is that I wouldn't worry badly about being put into a "buy a 90 or take back your deposit" situation. That's bad for Tesla and bad for you, and no upside for anybody anywhere. You MAY end up floating along for several months to a half year watching people much deeper in the queue configure and receive their cars, but that's as much downside as I see possible.

Also worth noting - in the investor forum, there's been some speculation that when Tesla is battery constrained, the smaller battery packs represent a higher profit / battery, and are thus Tesla's profit maximizing choice. I don't imagine we'll ever see Tesla prioritizing smaller batteries over larger batteries, but I can imagine them providing them equal priority in this case.

Same here. I reserved my X with the thought they'd launch all models together...not hold out for the "consumer friendly" model and only launch the uber expensive one. I'm reservation 11,501 and once they get to me, if they don't have a "70D" option available, I'm hoping they put me at the front of the line for the less expensive model. More waiting I guess but oh well.

Having a base model start at $80k with $7500 federal + $6000 state + $10k saved over 5 years in gas, is more reasonable than starting that number at $132k and working backwards. At least it is for my middle class family. We are making concessions to support clean transport...sadly it may be at least another year until I even get the call. Oh well, patience is a virtue :)