Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the AC drain hose located?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I’m going to attempt to clean my AC evaporator coils this weekend. The smell is reoccurring, embarrassing, and I’m not about to pay the service center another $317.65 to change the filter and spray some Kool-It. I just had them “fix” the issue 6 months ago.
I want to try cleaning the system through the AC drain hose instead of from inside the car AC vents or cabin filter opening.
Does anyone know where the drain hose is located?

I found this link but it’s for the rear HVAC drain hose. Hose - Drain - Rear HVAC (Remove and Replace)
Is that the correct place? or is there another drain hose under the front or somewhere inside the frunk?

thanks

I have the 6 seater. As a last resort, I can always insert the tube through the air vents or behind the cabin filter. I'm just worried of either the overflow foam leaking everywhere and possibly damaging something or not enough foam in the correct place.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I’m going to attempt to clean my AC evaporator coils this weekend. The smell is reoccurring, embarrassing, and I’m not about to pay the service center another $317.65 to change the filter and spray some Kool-It. I just had them “fix” the issue 6 months ago.
I want to try cleaning the system through the AC drain hose instead of from inside the car AC vents or cabin filter opening.
Does anyone know where the drain hose is located?

I found this link but it’s for the rear HVAC drain hose. Hose - Drain - Rear HVAC (Remove and Replace)
Is that the correct place? or is there another drain hose under the front or somewhere inside the frunk?

thanks
So on non-plaid Model X, unfortunately if you want to effectively clean the front evaporator coil and the duct assembly for the purpose of getting rid of bad smell (like mold build up), you will want to take out the PTC air heater (which requires HV disconnect/isolation). After having done that few times my self, I can see why Tesla changes 300+USD for the procedure. In order to take out the PTC, you have to remove quite a bit of components on the passenger side, including the knee airbag that requires 12V disconnect(which you have to take out the fronk to get to the 12V battery terminal ). You can still spray evaporator foam cleaning w/o taking out the PTC, it will still help somewhat with the bad smell and the scent will last for a long time, but cleaning w/o the PTC makes a HUGE difference. Hitting the evaporator coil form the drain is almost impossible from the outside (too many bends, and Kool-it hose is too short), and if you go in from behind the driver side close out, you risk not being able to reconnect the hose and making a mess damaging the junction box and modules underneath the HVAC box (I have never use the drain hose route personally, as going through the FET opening is a lot easier).
kool-it-1.jpg
ptc-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AWDtsla
So on non-plaid Model X, unfortunately if you want to effectively clean the front evaporator coil and the duct assembly for the purpose of getting rid of bad smell (like mold build up), you will want to take out the PTC air heater (which requires HV disconnect/isolation). After having done that few times my self, I can see why Tesla changes 300+USD for the procedure. In order to take out the PTC, you have to remove quite a bit of components on the passenger side, including the knee airbag that requires 12V disconnect(which you have to take out the fronk to get to the 12V battery terminal ). You can still spray evaporator foam cleaning w/o taking out the PTC, it will still help somewhat with the bad smell and the scent will last for a long time, but cleaning w/o the PTC makes a HUGE difference. Hitting the evaporator coil form the drain is almost impossible from the outside (too many bends, and Kool-it hose is too short), and if you go in from behind the driver side close out, you risk not being able to reconnect the hose and making a mess damaging the junction box and modules underneath the HVAC box (I have never use the drain hose route personally, as going through the FET opening is a lot easier).
View attachment 833137 View attachment 833143
Sounds like $300 for Tesla to do a full clean is a bargain.

Sounds like $300 for Tesla to do a full clean is a bargain.
I would agree, but imo if you have to right tool to deal with some annoying positioned bolts I would imagine this can be done in under two hours. I posted a quick summary in another thread. 2018 MX 100D......vinegar smell when starting ac
Also, this just cleans the evaporator, I believe they have a different procedure for disinfecting the entire car, which also requires injecting something into the HVAC box this way.

I would agree, but imo if you have to right tool to deal with some annoying positioned bolts I would imagine this can be done in under two hours. I posted a quick summary in another thread. 2018 MX 100D......vinegar smell when starting ac
Also, this just cleans the evaporator, I believe they have a different procedure for disinfecting the entire car, which also requires injecting something into the HVAC box this way.
I worked in car repair for a long while (born into it), so do not want to do too much in my spare time.