Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the best place to purchase/replace/align tires on a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I imagine any tire shop could do better than Tesla service as they have more experience in a day than Tesla might get in a month. But that said, buying tires online like at Tire Rack gets you the exact same tires as any tire shop or Costco, for less money, and then any tire shop will put them on. My tire shop charges me about $80 to install all four tires, including balancing, so I usually save over $100 going that route.

Of course, it's easier to just drive up to Costco and buy tires from them and have them install them while you go shopping inside.

And I've found Michelins usually give me more miles, but you've done well with whatever you've got.

• Helpful
Reactions: afadeev and Dre78
Upvote 0
I have almost 46k on my tires and need to replace them. Can I go to a tire shop (i.e. Pomps) or Costo or is it better to have Tesla Service do this?
You can have tires done at any shop, provided they understand how to jack the car properly. There are specific jack points documented in the manual, and also special jack pucks available to use at those points. Any shop that says they work on Teslas should be able to do it properly, but I've had mixed results at Discount Tire/America's Tire: in some cases they did the right thing without me needing to be involved, in others I've had to supply my own pucks, and in one case they just frame lifted the car and also hammered a weight on the outside edge of the alloy rim, creating a stupid bulge under the edge of the aero cap. So the moral of the story is that large businesses employ thousands of individual humans at varying levels of training and innate common sense. If you want to reduce the risk, be educated yourself on how to do it and then talk with the shop and verify their competency before heading off to Starbucks.

Regarding the tires, you should usually be able to purchase from the shop doing the install. I've had better luck purchasing directly from tirerack.com; they'll have the most inventory.

Upvote 0
I just had them done at Costco last week and they did a great job. They had the pucks for the lift and torques every car's wheels to spec. Not a single scratch or mark on the wheels either. Only downside with Costco is the wait - even if you have an appointment it can take 1-2 hours.

Also buying tires with Costco gets you 5 years of road hazard protection instead of 2 or 3 with other places.

Upvote 0
If I ever sell my current tires and get replacements, I'm going to give a mobile installer a try - specifically, GoMobile tires, who appears to have high quality mounting/balancing equipment, get pretty stellar reviews. They're an install partner with TireRack for this area so you can drop ship tires directly to them.

Not sure if they're in your area (or some equivalent), but if/when I do this, I'll definitely report back (or would love to hear feedback if anyone reads this and has used this sort of service).

Upvote 0
will a tesla service center mount/balance tires you have purchased elsewhere?

they likely would if you brought them the tires, but I doubt there would be any money savings there. They would likely charge shop rate or something, to do it, and would likely only do it if they were the same tires (and rims) available OEM on the vehicle.

Upvote 0
Took delivery 2 weeks ago and discovered 37 PSI for my driver front tire last night and of course I found a screw near the middle of the tread. I’m literally cursed since this is my third new car in 5 years and I seem to get nails/screws all the time 🙃

I arrived to the Fremont SC and the Service Advisor was frank, “America’s Tires repairs punctures for free.” Told him since I’m already here just to repair it for the $75. Plus, I trust OEM work right now rather than an independent shop.

Thankfully, I know the Service Manager so he was able to help me out 🙏🏽

Upvote 0
I was pleasantly surprised when I contacted 5 different tire places including Tire Rack and Tesla, and found that Tesla had the lowest price of them all.

I’d also gotten high mileage (almost 52,000 miles) out of my original Michelin 235/35/20s on my 2018 PD3+ and needed replacement. I’d already had a scheduled service for AC issues, so that worked for me.

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0
I have been patronizing a local family owned shop for about 20+ years now. I have checked pricing both ways. Buying from Tire Rack then paying the shipping, mounting and balancing, disposal etc. I find them to be the same price or cheaper in the end. Plus if I have a problem with a tire, no problem. Also, I never worry about them jacking the lug nuts down to 300 ft lbs. with their air wrench.

You should consider establishing a relationship with a local shop that you trust. Nice when you are on a first name basis.

Upvote 0
I imagine any tire shop could do better than Tesla service as they have more experience in a day than Tesla might get in a month. But that said, buying tires online like at Tire Rack gets you the exact same tires as any tire shop or Costco, for less money, and then any tire shop will put them on. My tire shop charges me about $80 to install all four tires, including balancing, so I usually save over $100 going that route.

Of course, it's easier to just drive up to Costco and buy tires from them and have them install them while you go shopping inside.

And I've found Michelins usually give me more miles, but you've done well with whatever you've got.
Ok, but can Costco put them on correctly?

Upvote 0