Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the California Supercharger build out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are now three months into 2017. In the state that holds, by far, the largest number of registered Teslas there is currently not a single supercharger under construction (Fremont-2 doesn't count). There is not a single supercharger permit listed at supercharge.info. I still return from long trips and can not use my vehicle for the remainder of the day because close superchargers are full (San Juan and Fountain Valley). Yes, I charge at home and no I don't "normally" use superchargers close to home, but it's nice to charge after an out and back trip so you can use your car for the remainder of the day and not have to wait for an overnight charge.

I'm all for the route buildout, and I guess it's nice that I can get to Houston via a southern route shortly (not really), but where is the density buildout in crowded California?

We are now three months into 2017. In the state that holds, by far, the largest number of registered Teslas there is currently not a single supercharger under construction (Fremont-2 doesn't count). There is not a single supercharger permit listed at supercharge.info. I still return from long trips and can not use my vehicle for the remainder of the day because close superchargers are full (San Juan and Fountain Valley). Yes, I charge at home and no I don't "normally" use superchargers close to home, but it's nice to charge after an out and back trip so you can use your car for the remainder of the day and not have to wait for an overnight charge.

I'm all for the route buildout, and I guess it's nice that I can get to Houston via a southern route shortly (not really), but where is the density buildout in crowded California?

Cost-cutting combined with waiting for data on the idling fees.
Plus, people are reporting some Supercharger speed and outage issues. There may be something they need to get a handle on before building many more.

We are now three months into 2017. In the state that holds, by far, the largest number of registered Teslas there is currently not a single supercharger under construction
I have been on TMC for over three years. Every year in Q1 I see the same posts about how in Q1 Tesla hasn't started building any Superchargers. By the end of the year Tesla has built a lot of Superchargers. Maybe not as many as they had hoped, but a lot. Over the past 3 years the expansion of the Supercharger network has been mind-boggling to me. And in all that time no other EV manufacturer has made a serious or even quasi-serious attempt to provide a useful high speed DC charging network for their customers.

Please keep that in mind. And get back to me at the end of the year with your opinion of how Tesla has done in regards to adding new Supercharges. Until then, remember that Tesla is fully aware of how many cars it plans to sell this year and what the charging needs will be.

Whether you agree or not, California does command by far the largest share of NA Tesla sales (most recent numbers I saw were north of 40%). Hence, we do deserve priority in their infrastructure buildout.

There are several superchargers in other countries with 20 stalls. Where are the 20 stall SpC in California? (Ok, yes I forgot about Fremont).

Last edited:
Who knows were the Super Chargers are. Maybe its not Teslas fault.

Electrek green energy brief: Trump attacks Clean Power Plan, 5GW of batteries for Australia, more

Scroll down in this article to see what Trump is fighting against as far as California is concerned.

That's some hysterical alarmist political rhetoric...the reality is that there is nothing the federal government is doing that would interfere with the construction of new superchargers in California. It's a choice Tesla, and maybe the California regulators, are making.

I also am concerned that the supercharger expansion doesn't seem to be happening here. Using superchargers is already getting to be problematic and if the Model 3 sales projections are anywhere near accurate, we are going to have a huge problem. I happen to be a person who can drive 300+ miles in a day and without supercharger access my P85D is effectively useless.

Not being experienced with the California Supercharger delimma, is the issue a lack of locations or a lack of capacity? To an outsider it looks like there is decent coverage, so maybe increasing the number of stalls at existing sites is the plan. This would not show up in the places you mention -- supercharge.info is crowd sourced, and if nobody is looking for permits related to increasing capacity at existing Superchargers, they won't show up there.

That's some hysterical alarmist political rhetoric...the reality is that there is nothing the federal government is doing that would interfere with the construction of new superchargers in California. It's a choice Tesla, and maybe the California regulators, are making.

I also am concerned that the supercharger expansion doesn't seem to be happening here. Using superchargers is already getting to be problematic and if the Model 3 sales projections are anywhere near accurate, we are going to have a huge problem. I happen to be a person who can drive 300+ miles in a day and without supercharger access my P85D is effectively useless.
LOL.... we will soon see.

I have been on TMC for over three years. Every year in Q1 I see the same posts about how in Q1 Tesla hasn't started building any Superchargers. By the end of the year Tesla has built a lot of Superchargers. Maybe not as many as they had hoped, but a lot. Over the past 3 years the expansion of the Supercharger network has been mind-boggling to me. And in all that time no other EV manufacturer has made a serious or even quasi-serious attempt to provide a useful high speed DC charging network for their customers.

Please keep that in mind. And get back to me at the end of the year with your opinion of how Tesla has done in regards to adding new Supercharges. Until then, remember that Tesla is fully aware of how many cars it plans to sell this year and what the charging needs will be.

Agree, Q1 is not the time to measure the progress of rolling out Superchargers, especially how much rain and snow we had all over the state. Not practical to start building Superchargers in the middle of the rain and snow, and especially this winter with the middle of the second wettest winter (Dec-Feb) on record in California. Had they broken ground, crews would have been very inefficient.

When I took delivery more than 4 years ago, there were 6 Superchargers in the country. I remember people complaining loudly how little progress had been made at various times over the past 4 years, and so far Tesla has responded with an incredible build out once one takes a step back.

Reactions: Ulmo
Do they have more Teslas than California? I don't care about per capita, show me absolute quantities.

Numbers don't matter as much as use cases.

IF you charge at home and don't take long trips often or (let's be realistic), have another car (ICE, yuck) for long trips then a supercharger isn't going to be impacted by your use case. I know a person who has a 2012 S that has never seen a supercharger. Not saying that's normal but that case isn't the only one and is used as an extreme example.

Alternatively, IF model 3 is sold to more people who don't have charging at home and will use superchargers, then yes, numbers will matter more. Counter to that is if Musk et alia can pull off faster charging rates, this concern is a moo point. (a cow's opinion). :)

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett