Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the enhanced autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased in October 2017, an S100D, with a $5000 advance pay (less $1000 credit) for the enhanced autopilot and was told it was projected to be released in March 2018. Not only has March 2018 come and gone, but I have been advised that there is no expectation as to when this product for which I paid, will be available--likely not in 2018. Huh? I have no problem with the delay, but I do object to the false and misleading representation. I enjoy driving the car, but have found that there is zero chance of it remotely hitting the 335 mile range represented; that i can live with--the false promise/assurance is not a reasonable error. . . .

I purchased in October 2017, an S100D, with a $5000 advance pay (less $1000 credit) for the enhanced autopilot and was told it was projected to be released in March 2018. Not only has March 2018 come and gone, but I have been advised that there is no expectation as to when this product for which I paid, will be available--likely not in 2018. Huh? I have no problem with the delay, but I do object to the false and misleading representation. I enjoy driving the car, but have found that there is zero chance of it remotely hitting the 335 mile range represented; that i can live with--the false promise/assurance is not a reasonable error. . . .
You’re kinda jumping around a bit.

I’m right at 335 with my S100D. Lifetime average. 22k Miles.

Very confused on this post. Do you mean Full Self-Driving? EAP is already released and anyone with the hardware and software unlock can use it. I must be missing something here.

If you mean FSD: it says on the order page, "Please note that Self-Driving functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction."

Very confused on this post. Do you mean Full Self-Driving? EAP is already released and anyone with the hardware and software unlock can use it. I must be missing something here.

If you mean FSD: it says on the order page, "Please note that Self-Driving functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction."
EAP is not released. AP2 is only just now at parity with AP1, there are exactly zero "Enhanced" features available.

This is what Tesla says EAP is:

"Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage."

The first two are just AutoPilot... not sure how matching speed and keeping a lane is "enhanced" over regular AutoPilot 1. The rest of that stuff.. does not exist.

So, I'd say, EAP does not exist today, when evaluated fairly (meaning not counting regular AP stuff as somehow being Enhanced).

I think the conclusion is that Tesla (... Elon?) waaaaay underestimated what it would take to get this done and finds themselves in a tough spot of pretending it is imminent despite there being no evidence of that being true.

EAP is not released. AP2 is only just now at parity with AP1, there are exactly zero "Enhanced" features available.
Come on, you forgot that AP2 hides the cars in adjacent lanes from instrument cluster view, a feature designed to lessen the mental effort of a driver (less to look at) as compared to AP1. ;)

AP2 also doesn't read speed limit signs, and doesn't allow lane changes on surface roads, features that AP1 has had for 3 years now?
It's not a bug, it's a feature. Not reading signs protects you against pranks where people spraypaint speed limit signs. Not allowing you to change lanes on surface roads is also a safety feature. Saying otherwise here risks making you a target of some dedicated fans who will flame you into submission. ;)

PS> Coincidentally, I recently drove our AP1 car and noticed it completely missed a very clear speed limit sign. Either it took it good 10 seconds to compute (never did before) it just missed it and only gave me an update from the database. So maybe the prank protection feature has been ported to AP1 now.

Join the club lol

It's not a bug, it's a feature. Not reading signs protects you against pranks where people spraypaint speed limit signs. Not allowing you to change lanes on surface roads is also a safety feature. Saying otherwise here risks making you a target of some dedicated fans who will flame you into submission. ;)
I do think they need a map based approach. But I do think every car should be able to read and contribute to that map and there needs to be some ability for the car camera to override the map.

With the class action lawsuit, Tesla should be issuing small refunds to EAP owners, due to the delay in providing EAP.

What would have been better - allowing EAP/FSD owners a one-time option to get a full refund for their EAP/FSD purchase if they've changed their minds and have grown tired of waiting for these options to be implemented.

EAP provides value now, even though it doesn't achieve all EAP goals. On a recent road trip, AutoSteer was engaged almost the entire way.

We also believe we'll start seeing some benefit in the next 12 months from the FSD purchase with the AP software using the additional cameras, and AP working better under more conditions (compared to AP1).

While we're disappointed in the longer-than-expected implementation time for EAP/FSD, we included EAP/FSD in the configuration of our new Model X (which we hope to get next month).

Reactions: dow and Pentium2004
OP,

Did you read about the lawsuit for delayed EAP? Since you bought it last October, you should be eligible for a $20 refund!

Did you read about the lawsuit for delayed EAP? Since you bought it last October, you should be eligible for a $20 refund!
The only people who get rich in class action lawsuits are the lawyers. $20 is barely worth the effort of depositing, and by accepting the check you are relieving Tesla of legal liability to provide EAP in the future.

Bottom line is, by October 2017 the dumpster fire that is EAP/FSD was well understood and even the tiniest bit of pre-sales research on the subject would have given someone adequate expectations. Whoever told you March 2018 was "the date" simply pulled something out of thin air. There was zero supporting evidence for that statement.

This is what Tesla says EAP is:

"Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage."

The first two are just AutoPilot... not sure how matching speed and keeping a lane is "enhanced" over regular AutoPilot 1. The rest of that stuff.. does not exist...
Please forgive me, I drive AP1 daily, and AP2 irregularly. Is Auto-Park, and Summon still not available on AP2.x cars?? I'm not asking if they function up to people's expectations, as that argument could be made for AP1 as well. I'm just curious if those two features honestly still don't exist...

If I remember correctly, the last time I drove an AP2.x car, I was able to summon it to and from my garage. I was also able to have it self-park when I was near a spot; both in parallel and perpendicular spots.

I do agree that saying EAP adds these new capabilities to AP is a bit of a stretch, seeing that AP already does almost everything listed above. Truly, the things that are still missing from AP2.x are the only things that made EAP "Enhanced" over AP. (ref: automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near)

I'm in full agreement that EAP doesn't fully exist yet as advertised, and that some functions don't match the functionality of AP1. And I'm just as infuriated about the mentioned dates which keep getting missed. But I don't want to be misleading in the other direction, by stating certain features don't exist, when they do. Again, meeting expectations is a whole different conversation...

Please forgive me, I drive AP1 daily, and AP2 irregularly. Is Auto-Park, and Summon still not available on AP2.x cars?? I'm not asking if they function up to people's expectations, as that argument could be made for AP1 as well. I'm just curious if those two features honestly still don't exist...

If I remember correctly, the last time I drove an AP2.x car, I was able to summon it to and from my garage. I was also able to have it self-park when I was near a spot; both in parallel and perpendicular spots.

I do agree that saying EAP adds these new capabilities to AP is a bit of a stretch, seeing that AP already does almost everything listed above. Truly, the things that are still missing from AP2.x are the only things that made EAP "Enhanced" over AP. (ref: automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near)

I'm in full agreement that EAP doesn't fully exist yet as advertised, and that some functions don't match the functionality of AP1. And I'm just as infuriated about the mentioned dates which keep getting missed. But I don't want to be misleading in the other direction, by stating certain features don't exist, when they do. Again, meeting expectations is a whole different conversation...
Self-park and summon are available in AP2. As it is now, self-park can parallel or perpendicular park once the driver initiates it (and stays in the car) and summon is limited to straight-in or straight-out. These are welcome features but are not enhanced autopilot features yet.

Also, AP2 still can't be used to automatically drive the car "from on ramp to off ramp", automatically changing lanes without any input from the driver. It also still can't automatically change highways (as intended).

Edit: Removed example which was actually FSD, not EAP.