Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the gps antenna on raven cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TIppy

Jul 8, 2016
Tampa, FL
The old service manual says the gps antenna is in the upper left corner of the hatch. I covered that area with aluminum tape and I still had gps reception. Have they moved it? I noticed that with the solid glass roof I also have xm radio.

Thanks

Are you trying to prevent your spouse from tacking you? You can always turn off Mobile Access, they the GPS coordinates won't be sent back to the Tesla NOC... You're location will be completely private...

The online parts catalog shows this as the GPS antenna.

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 8.38.34 AM.png

Are you trying to prevent your spouse from tacking you? You can always turn off Mobile Access, they the GPS coordinates won't be sent back to the Tesla NOC... You're location will be completely private...

The online parts catalog shows this as the GPS antenna.

View attachment 444232
Thanks for your post, but I want to know where on the car the antenna is located so that I can temporarily cover it with aluminum tape.

The in car manual used to say that the cameras don't read speed limit signs and would be updated in a future release. I see that those notes are gone, so I wanted to block gps data and check if the car was reading speed limit signs.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Thanks for your post, but I want to know where on the car the antenna is located so that I can temporarily cover it with aluminum tape.

The in car manual used to say that the cameras don't read speed limit signs and would be updated in a future release. I see that those notes are gone, so I wanted to block gps data and check if the car was reading speed limit signs.

As far as I can tell it's not (reading the signs)... there are many areas around where I live where the speed limit in Tesla's database differs from what is posted and the speed limit in the car show the incorrect one.

Try to cover to area directly above the front window "Camera unit" thingy. Not so much that the camera's can't see anymore though. The Model 3 has it's GPS Antenna there I believe and maybe the S and X now too (or a second antenna for redundancy). My previous information "should" be correct but Tesla is known to change things and they are not always very vocal about such changes.

Last edited:
I covered that area with an 18 inch by 18 inch piece of aluminum foil and the car was still able to receive gps data. I don't see how the antennae could receive gps signals through aluminum foil.
Old GPS design engineer here.
Way back when GPS was still new, we designed a GPS receiver for an aircraft customer. They wanted to test the effect of moving the aircraft into a hangar, where the GPS signal would be very attenuated. They had a test set, with the antenna up on their roof. One tester was sent up to the roof with a metal garbage can to place over the antenna. When he went back downstairs his colleague asked him why he didn't cover the antenna. He did cover the antenna, but the GPS receiver had enough sensitivity that it could still track the satellites.
Conclusion: Aluminum tape will probably not do what you want it to do.

Old pilot here. There are 31 in service GPS satellites used to be fewer - there are backup older sats that are still in orbit on standby. I think my airplane has to have contact with a minimum number of satellites ( I think 7 ) to shoot WAAS approaches. I get a popup on my panel with I am without signal or on or more satellites that I should see drop off line even at 35,000 ft. Point is, sensitivity (as shieldsbrown says) is like getting FM in a freeway tunnel. Hard to escape signal.

I covered that area with an 18 inch by 18 inch piece of aluminum foil and the car was still able to receive gps data. I don't see how the antennae could receive gps signals through aluminum foil.
Its like one other poster said, I doubt that putting anything on top of any gps device will block the signals. They don't need a direct line of sight from the sky to the device. Try it with your cell phone and you will see. You would need to block the gps receiver pretty much from all around in many cases.

My 2013 Model S has forgotten where it is - map is frozen at a location. Prior to it completely freezing up, it showed the vehicle offset a bit from the road it was on, and directions would get confused if there were other roads that aligned with the erroneous location.

So, took it in for service. They have told me that there's a nick in one of the back window traces, which is the defrost, but somehow that is used by the GPS too, so I need a new rear window. And maybe a new GPS antenna. But this seems like nonsense. What does continuity of the rear window traces have to do with the GPS, except that you might have to remove and reinstall the rear window to get to the GPS antenna - so they want me to buy a new rear window. So confused.

Am I being taken for a ride? Any other ideas for resolving a stuck GPS?

My XM is often times blanks out for no reason, I am in Dallas burbs. Sometimes 10 miles for goodness knows why. Had it in for check at SC twice and they say it checks out fine. The first thing the look at is the rear window - tech showed me the antenna wire in the rear glass. I never had a problem in my Mercedes (6) with XM. I often think the XM folks see Elon as a competitor and threat so we Tesla owners become the lowest form of users. Maybe Elon can pipe with the Starlink system. I'd pay up for the real time weather radar.

My XM is often times blanks out for no reason, I am in Dallas burbs. Sometimes 10 miles for goodness knows why. Had it in for check at SC twice and they say it checks out fine. The first thing the look at is the rear window - tech showed me the antenna wire in the rear glass. I never had a problem in my Mercedes (6) with XM. I often think the XM folks see Elon as a competitor and threat so we Tesla owners become the lowest form of users. Maybe Elon can pipe with the Starlink system. I'd pay up for the real time weather radar.
Putting the Wx radar onscreen oriented with the car and range would be relatively easy and a brilliant addition. I like to keep away from cells that look as if they are full of hail!

Reactions: RickParker