Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the location of the HEPA filter in the 2022 Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to track down a musty smell in my 10 month old 2022 Model X and so I was going to check the state of the HEPA filter. I took out the frunk tub expecting the filter to be behind in like in the previous years of the Model X but it's not there. I can't find any reference to where it's located. Does anyone know where it's been moved to?

Here's what it looks like after I took out the frunk tub.
IMG_3648.jpeg

Inside the cabin, under the dash.

Cabin filter, yes.

Would the HEPA filter attach to the frunk tub like on the refresh S?

or under the tub? Perhaps the plastic part 28615 (can't read the actual part # in your pic.) looks to be about the right size/shape.??
1668493649951.png

Attachments

• 1668493634090.png
    1668493634090.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Interesting topic... see I assumed that the cabin filter is now a HEPA filter since i've not see any large HEPA filters in all the various power frunk install videos I've seen.

So I guess the question is, do the refresh X's even have the large HEPA filter that we are all looking for?

Cabin filter, yes.

Would the HEPA filter attach to the frunk tub like on the refresh S?

or under the tub? Perhaps the plastic part 28615 (can't read the actual part # in your pic.) looks to be about the right size/shape.??
View attachment 874718
The thing under the tub in my photo has "Active Grill Shutter" embossed on the top of it. It does look to be about the right size but I couldn't figure out how to open it. I was able to peeking inside and it didn't look like it had a filter in it. As far as I understand, an Active Grill Shutter has a different purpose on the car.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
Watch the Munro tear down of the Plaid. It’s there. It’s not easy to get to.

By the looks of it you might have to pull the wiper arms and remove that plastic piece beneath the windshield.

Update: I looked it up in the service manual. Access is free, once you have access, here's the link: https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...UID-FE37D38B-D544-47BC-A862-A4150713E37F.html

It's not fun, but it's possible. Have you tried replacing the cabin air filter first? I'd start with that one before bothering with the HEPA filter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Interesting topic... see I assumed that the cabin filter is now a HEPA filter since i've not see any large HEPA filters in all the various power frunk install videos I've seen.

So I guess the question is, do the refresh X's even have the large HEPA filter that we are all looking for?

Yes. On all cars with bioweapon mode, there are 2 filters - the big HEPA filter, and a smaller filter on the inside. With the Y, they just added the HEPA assembly at the air inlet, the dual cabin air filters are still there. The Refresh X and S are no different.

• Informative
Watch the Munro tear down of the Plaid. It’s there. It’s not easy to get to.

By the looks of it you might have to pull the wiper arms and remove that plastic piece beneath the windshield.

Update: I looked it up in the service manual. Access is free, once you have access, here's the link: https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...UID-FE37D38B-D544-47BC-A862-A4150713E37F.html

It's not fun, but it's possible. Have you tried replacing the cabin air filter first? I'd start with that one before bothering with the HEPA filter
No, that doesn't look too fun to replace the filter. I'm a little disappointed that they made it so buried. I'd say it's probably worth at least a few hundred dollars to let Tesla do it when the time comes. I was going to replace the cabin air filter but it's not in stock currently... but, the smell has mostly disappeared. I think it was worse during the changing of the seasons when neither the AC nor the heat was being used in the car and we were doing a lot of short drives. After a few long drives running the heat the whole time, it may have dried up *something* that was causing the odor. I'm crossing my fingers for now.