Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the love for the MYP?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
The Model Y Performance is priced $10K above the base version. Add to that the need to get a second set of tires for...weather and you’re up over $13K.

Where is track mode?! Where is the performance boost?!

My Performance Model S was very clearly differentiated from the standard trim.

I feel like this iteration of their “Performance” trim is receiving a good leaving alone and frankly, I’m not thrilled. If I had it to do over again I would get the standard LR in a heartbeat. What are your thoughts? Do you feel purchasing the Performance trim for the Y was worth it?

I purchased a MYP and I have no regrets. I also didn't purchase an extra set of wheels/tires. In fact I purchased another set of like new PZ4 take offs (< 50 miles) on the cheap for win I run through the ones that came on the car. All of what you mentioned as drawbacks were known when you bought the car. Why the change of heart now?
The change of heart now is because the other 2 Tesla’s I owned received a number of improvements to the performance of the vehicle. MY has got nothing to date.

MS got launch mode and reduced 0-60 times
M3 got track mode and reduced 0-60 times
MY...nothing

I love my PUP. I'm guessing when the Mach E GT hits, we'll get a little love to make sure tesla stays on top. Elon said track mode was coming a while back so fingers crossed. I bought extra winter wheels for mine and I have a set of forged 21's coming to replace the Uberturbines.

I hymmed and hawed over the two and decided on the MYP, even though i will need another set of rims and tires for winter. It's my mid life crisis car... I figure at one point, Tesla will up the performance of the performance Y. It wasn't immediate on the model3 either and with the performance boost for the LR Y out, it's only a matter of time... I did see a youtube of a Y performance dusting a base model Taycan Porsche from Edmunds.

Plus, hopefully it makes it sell better when my Cyber truck comes in.

I agree but I dont want to jump the gun since I just picked up my MYP in December but I am hoping it gets some of the same love the other models got. Then again, we had not have the MY for a year yet so maybe something is coming for its birthday?

Reactions: Daks
So I usually tend to buy the performance model for any care. That being said I love my MYP and actually got it the 2nd day of release, VIN 10XX. I live in Cali so I wasnt bothered by the summer tires I can rock all year and my other car is a BMW so I didnt notice the suspension being stiff at all.

I think its fast enough esp being that its a compact SUV. Probably the fastest aside from a lambo and a trackhawk that cost double the price and have more HP. Overall I think tesla did a great job. Track mode will eventually be available per Musk. I think 90% of ppl wont ever use it but its a cool feature.

For friends who are on the fence between getting the PUP or LR plus boost, I usually tell em to listen to their wallet because the LR is more bang for your buck esp if you are concerned about 0-60 times.

Model Y Performance is definitely not the value proposition. However for some people like myself the difference in cost is not significant for the small gain in performance. I do agree for the cost differential there should be a significant boost in performance or aesthetic changes to make us happy at least in our head that the money was well worth it. That being said I have the same gripe with the other high end cars I have purchased over the years. Most of the models of all these manufacturers are clones of each other. In the 80s from 10 miles away you noticed a Porsche Turbo driving down the street. Nowadays most people couldn't tell one Porsche model from another.

Reactions: DoctaM3
Curious as where folks are getting that Elon confirmed there is a track mode coming to the MY. The only thing I’ve seen is a tweet response but it had two questions (if track mode was possible on the MY and if it’s coming) and Elon could’ve been answering the first and not to both (ie possible but not happening)

Curious as where folks are getting that Elon confirmed there is a track mode coming to the MY. The only thing I’ve seen is a tweet response but it had two questions (if track mode was possible on the MY and if it’s coming) and Elon could’ve been answering the first and not to both (ie possible but not happening)

thats a good point, he just said "sure" lol

I think there is a youtube video of a MYP on a time attack that got 2nd place after a porshe gt3. (could be mistaken) but either way it looked strange that an SUV was even top 5 and there were plenty high performance modified ICE cars. The entire time the driver was unhappy on how the MYP wouldnt unleash power coming out of a turn due to traction control being too invasive and how it needs track mode. I personally think track mode is coming and maybe even a remap to shave down 0-60 times for marketing purposes to get an edge on the mach E which claims 3.5 0-60 as well. lets not forget the MY has only been out for less than a year and it took the m3 a few years to get its software updates.

Reactions: Daks