Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the media coverage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Channel 4 in Boston did a cursory story during the noon news, at around 12:25...using someone else's footage.

considering how many Teslas are already in this area, and how "green" Boston techie nerd types are compared to some other places, I'm a little disappointed in the coverage.

ABC/7 had a camera man (only) doing a line walk in the Short Hills Mall (in NJ) I was kinda surprised since you'd figure they'd cover NYC or Brooklyn or the larger Tesla shops in Paramus NJ. Oh I'm quite certain the evening news will have plenty of coverage.

Now what kinda surprises me is given Tesla is making their intro in CA and not till ... 8:30 PM? Yes, that makes it AFTER the evening news airs in the east. A 6:30 PM announcement would have been SO much better to ensure the evening news top story was all but a LOCK. As it stands now the evening news will report yes long lines for a car that has hasn't even been seen. Instead of long lines for a hot new all electric car that looks like ______________.

Did Tesla screw up having their announcement so late?

ABC/7 had a camera man (only) doing a line walk in the Short Hills Mall (in NJ) I was kinda surprised since you'd figure they'd cover NYC or Brooklyn or the larger Tesla shops in Paramus NJ. Oh I'm quite certain the evening news will have plenty of coverage.

Now what kinda surprises me is given Tesla is making their intro in CA and not till ... 8:30 PM? Yes, that makes it AFTER the evening news airs in the east. A 6:30 PM announcement would have been SO much better to ensure the evening news top story was all but a LOCK. As it stands now the evening news will report yes long lines for a car that has hasn't even been seen. Instead of long lines for a hot new all electric car that looks like ______________.

Did Tesla screw up having their announcement so late?

Nah........

Attachments

• 2016-03-31_1448.png
    2016-03-31_1448.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: EV-Bull
Fox 8 in Cleveland was reporting live every half hour from 6am to 9am. Here is one clip:

People lining up to put down payment on new Tesla

I thought it was very well done, it was factual and the reporter Stacey seemed to have done her research (or she was already a Tesla fan). I talked to the cameraman and he said a producer at the station is a Tesla fan and clued them in to the story and also planned to reserve one today. The news crew was very nice and interviewed about a dozen people in line though I couldn't find coverage of that online.

Fremont had no visible news coverage, although I cannot say they did not try to visit the factory, but no reservations were being taken there today. I saw earlier the night before and this morning the tv news did cover walnut creek and palo alto lines but I think the local reporting here in the rest of the bay area, as far as an online presence, has been strictly through social media (twitter, instagram, facebook, etc.) Too bad the press chose to back burner this story. oh well, better spot in the order for those of us who showed up!

Last edited:
Reactions: ggnykk
Fox 8 in Cleveland was reporting live every half hour from 6am to 9am. Here is one clip:

People lining up to put down payment on new Tesla

I thought it was very well done, it was factual and the reporter Stacey seemed to have done her research (or she was already a Tesla fan). I talked to the cameraman and he said a producer at the station is a Tesla fan and clued them in to the story and also planned to reserve one today. The news crew was very nice and interviewed about a dozen people in line though I couldn't find coverage of that online.
Free marketing for Tesla when the tv station's producer is a Tesla fan ;-)

This is nuts! When in the history of mankind have you EVER heard of folks lining up to buy a car the night before. We have folks posting pics of tents, and lines with more than a hundred people across the nation, waiting to pay a $1000 for a car they haven't even seen. Nothing on the local or national news. NOTHING.

Uh dude there's lots of coverage - you seem a bit excitable - posting about no news coverage when it wasn't even 8 in the morning yet. At the Pasadena store in Los Angeles there were three TV news crews and one news helicopter hovering over the line.

The Los Angeles Times has been live updating the entire day.

• Love
A lady in front of me at the Atlanta-Dekalb Tesla store does voiceover work (including some for 11Alive news). She texted some of her friends at the station to try to get them to come out and film the 200 folks lined up at the store and they weren't interested.
No news crews at all at our location.

I do wonder if the stereotypes of Midwesterners and Southerners being suspicious of anything smacking of "green" "progressive" or "liberal" perhaps have some truth to them - and if those attitudes make them turn away from a story like this.

I have some red neck relatives who get pissed off when Tesla is mentioned and it doesn't take them long to go from mention of Tesla to 30 seconds later yelling about how their tax dollars are paying for electric toys for rich people and then on to blaming Obama for all the world's problems.

It seems a bit odd that the Tesla stores in California were swarming with news coverage and the one in Atlanta couldn't even get a reporter there when one of a station's own employees was lined up.

Here in the SoCal area (home to Hawthorne location, I might add) the local NBC affiliate had a small story about a few people lined up in front of the Pasadena store yesterday. I was left to believe they really didn't know what to expect and why someone would sit on a sidewalk overnight for a car. I believe that after what just happened today they will have MUCH more to say tonight. We'll find out as the local news shows begin in 8 minutes. :)