Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may be the only one but I am not convinced that is the X. I would not be surprised if it was a prototype 3

edit: I admit I am probably in denial: The chopped off back was not what I was expecting.

Last edited:
It's the X. Looks to me like they have made the rear end higher and bulkier than the original x prototype. Which, imho, is a good thing as the x prototype didn't have enough cargo space and not enough head room for three rows of seats. The rear looks chopped off because it isn't as raked as the Model S. But this is supposed to be an SUV, not a sedan. They had to give it different characteristics than the now released D.

Assuming the wheelbase is the same length and the perspective distortion isn't too bad, the mule looks bigger than the old prototype.

Model X Comparison.jpg

Model X Overlay.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's a bunch of camo stuff on the back end, not what it will actually look like. I'm also pretty sure it's the X.

Specifically, the camo tape patterns disguise the lines of the sheet metal, and foam pieces can even distort the shape of some panels to a certain degree. There are some people who are good enough with Photoshop to "erase" the camo and determine what the car could look like in final form.

Remember those Jaguars running around in camouflage with "Google f type" on the side? This is like that--an intentional "leak."

I mean, they pull up in a Tesla-labeled truck (apparently, judging from the description), with some Tesla chase cars, unload this thing in broad daylight, and start running what looks an autocross course with it? In full view of whomever is around?

Tesla is trolling us...

Remember those Jaguars running around in camouflage with "Google f type" on the side? This is like that--an intentional "leak."

I mean, they pull up in a Tesla-labeled truck (apparently, judging from the description), with some Tesla chase cars, unload this thing in broad daylight, and start running what looks an autocross course with it? In full view of whomever is around?

Tesla is trolling us...

Yep, especially since they have a track, a big parking lot, and plenty of indoor space at Fremont.

Specifically, the camo tape patterns disguise the lines of the sheet metal, and foam pieces can even distort the shape of some panels to a certain degree. There are some people who are good enough with Photoshop to "erase" the camo and determine what the car could look like in final form.

Agreed, I think the camo is doing its job well here. Excited that we're finally seeing it in the wild!

Tesla is trolling us...

Lol. Hope next time the camera guy has a good SLR.

Tesla is trolling us...

LOL! I think you are probably right. Ah well, even if this was an "intentional" leak I am OK with that because it gives us something to buzz about... I mean for all we know it was a Tesla employee who took the photos and video and uploaded them as if it was a regular person. :p

If it was intentional of a sorts then that must mean they are on the verge of a final reveal. Wouldn't surprise me to get a Friday surprise with the announcement of the reveal event! :D But not getting my hopes up... We could still be a month or more away from a reveal.

Regarding the back I get the feeling that they have it puffed out on purpose and that the real car underneath will look far more elegant. Keep in ming that the drag coefficient is VERY important to the efficiency of the vehicle and a flat back end doesn't tend to be as efficient for drag as the teardrop. Which the original was pretty close to the teardrop shape.

What they are hiding from the back (and front) is likely a number of more elegant shape and aesthetics changes that they have implemented. Remember Elons goal is to always have the final product look better than the prototype, because he hates when they show off an awesome prototype only to dumb it down.

Hope it has some "body" camo as well as paint. Not uncommon for test Mules to distort the shape. Hope Tesla isn't bringing back the Pontiac Aztec...

What ever the case, it is good to "see" a beta doing wheelies. ..... Have to get some speed to check tight turns.

Last edited:
Assuming the wheelbase is the same length and the perspective distortion isn't too bad, the mule looks bigger than the old prototype.

View attachment 70756
View attachment 70757

It looks like the front suspension is much higher than the rear suspension in the test vehicle. The gap between the ground and the base of the car is wider going forward and the gap between the front versus rear wheels and the wheel house is larger. Not sure why, but I think this is also distorting the appearance of the X-beta.

Hurray! We finally have evidence of testing. This gives me hope that they may still be on schedule for summer release. I'll reserve judgement until they do an official reveal, because camouflaged vehicles are meant to be deceiving.

We may want to change the title of this thread as people are repeating inaccurate terminology. What we are seeing here is NOT a mule; it is a camouflaged beta unit. An automotive mule, much like the animal definition, is an early test vehicle made up of two different vehicles - generally the body of an existing model over the platform of a new vehicle. This is what you might expect early on when this thread was started. However, we are now looking at a complete vehicle that is representative of what the production Model X will be.

It looks like the front suspension is much higher than the rear suspension in the test vehicle. The gap between the ground and the base of the car is wider going forward and the gap between the front versus rear wheels and the wheel house is larger. Not sure why, but I think this is also distorting the appearance of the X-beta.

Could be that the photo was taken with the test car under heavy acceleration, with weight transfered to the rear.

Hurray! We finally have evidence of testing. This gives me hope that they may still be on schedule for summer release. I'll reserve judgement until they do an official reveal, because camouflaged vehicles are meant to be deceiving.

We may want to change the title of this thread as people are repeating inaccurate terminology. What we are seeing here is NOT a mule; it is a camouflaged beta unit. An automotive mule, much like the animal definition, is an early test vehicle made up of two different vehicles - generally the body of an existing model over the platform of a new vehicle. This is what you might expect early on when this thread was started. However, we are now looking at a complete vehicle that is representative of what the production Model X will be.

Yeah, I think it was bound to happen that this thread would morph into spy shots of the actual car. They either should split the thread out or change the title to be more fitting. Just call it "Preproduction" since that should cover discussion of everything up until the release. :D