Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even the Model S underwent some design changes from prototype to alpha and beta and then final version. But true to his word the current Model S looks better and works better than the prototype did. The weakest part of the car is the nosecone and that underwent quite a few changes from the beginning.

I expect we will see something similar with the X. Especially the interior. I expect the interior will turn out MUCH better than the prototype (not that it looked terrible mind you, its just that a lot has changed in 3 years!)

Interior: I expect the seats look familiar to the next gen seats of Model S, because they where just upgraded. They could use parts for both lines and hold costs and production time down.

Perhaps they can use the same seats for the first row?

For the second row, they are probably using (like in the alpha) 3 separate electric changeable seats, but given the "wow"-comment from elon, they won't look like the alphas, more like 3 executive seats? Or just cutting the NG sec row in 3 separates...

The big "?" is the third row, or - if not ordered - how the big space will be filled, given the unworthy rear-space cover in the Model S.

Last edited:
Enjoying the debates re: fantasy v. speculation v. fact. I'm not sure which camp I fall into, part of me wants to be like Bonnie and see the X as a Christmas present fresh and new and with little idea of what is really coming. Another part though feels the strong pull to know everything that is going on. Looking at the Instagram pic though it's hard to understand exactly what the camo hides, I mean how can camo make it shorter or mess with nose cones or the rear end size. Maybe I have a spatial reasoning issue and can't really "see it". Either way I'm excited for my Sig X to arrive. I enjoy the talk and glad we can have open discussions on here. And if you are reading Tesla, please bring back the green paint. I was really looking forward to it! Enjoy the SpeXulation!

Enjoying the debates re: fantasy v. speculation v. fact. I'm not sure which camp I fall into, part of me wants to be like Bonnie and see the X as a Christmas present fresh and new and with little idea of what is really coming. Another part though feels the strong pull to know everything that is going on. Looking at the Instagram pic though it's hard to understand exactly what the camo hides, I mean how can camo make it shorter or mess with nose cones or the rear end size. Maybe I have a spatial reasoning issue and can't really "see it". Either way I'm excited for my Sig X to arrive. I enjoy the talk and glad we can have open discussions on here. And if you are reading Tesla, please bring back the green paint. I was really looking forward to it! Enjoy the SpeXulation!

If you want to wait for the big reveal, a thread like this may not be the best place. ;)

Obviously camo can hide an altered or removed nosecone - and alter rear shape easily. The discussion about a missing nose cone didn't start from the video or the Instagram, it is based on earlier alleged leaks and the November update email where the cone is either edited out or missing in the photo itself. It is not a confirmed fact at all, but just something there are pointers towards - we shall see if the pointers are right or wrong.

As for the wheelbase, the thread contains information that suggests wheelbase in the production Model X may be shorter than in the prototype. Also there is discussing on how hard it is to measure reliable wheel diameter from the blurry video (wheel seems to take up the entire wheelwell in the video but in the photo it is clearly just a 19", yet photo doesn't show axel to axel, so can't be used to measure) and thus hard to determine how long, axel to axel, the car on the video is.

Of course it may be something disguised to look like a Model X. It may be a powertrain monkey, heck, it may be Model Y. But I would imagine, realistically, given the timing, it probably is a Model X beta where significant-enough external changes since the prototype have been camoed, to keep the suspense until the final reveal. It would simply make the most sense. Camo can make dimensions seem off (that is its purpose) and the video is so far away and the Instagram shows only a part of the car. Also, the Instagram has the front passenger door slightly ajar to further throw off the dimensions by hiding a part of the rear door.

That is my, self-educated guess. :) We shall see. If the tell-tale signs on the bottoms of the falcon wings happen, or the wheelbase is slightly shorter, that may be some indication this was indeed a Model X mule. If not, then what it is may remain inconclusive.

Wait, wait! Let's wrap it for the Sig reservation holders who're tired of speculation!

wrap_x_x.jpg

:cool::wink:

Is there anybody in tha car?

All I see are headrests.

View attachment 71892

Is that a joke question? You can clearly see the person in the car. They had two people, one riding shotgun. In the part of the video with them doing the tight/fast circle you can even see the passenger with his hand on the roof of the car to hold on (Clearly this means they didn't add the handles on the inside like most cars have... I am disappoint...) You guys need to get your eyes checked, lol.