Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know why they'd even bother with cammo. They've already shown us prototypes and renderings. And they're going to have to show a lot more before asking reservation holders to finalize.

I believe Elon had mentioned during a conference call that the design of Model X was different and better than the prototypes Tesla has demonstrated. Theoretically they might want to conceal some of the body work. Alternatively, putting cammo on a car screams "photograph me" to the spy shot paparazzi, which would garner some free advertising.

I agree completely. To build it on the line would require tooling and processes that would make no sense to put in place until the Alphas are tested and moving towards Beta. Disruption of the automotive market is good. Disruption of the factory line is bad.

:)

- - - Updated - - -

If the Alphas are anything like the Model S Alphas, they're going to have rough interiors, suitable for engineering work only.

He said "design intent" alphas, So I would expect them to be practically Betas... The interiors might actually be pretty decent :)

Anyone else see a Tesla X heading westbound on central expressway in Sunnyvale CA around 4:30? It was brown and it's roof line was well above mine. Wish I wasn't heading the opposite direction, although I was tempted to drive over the grass median....

One comes after the other. :) Tesla would have to address specifics, but alphas were produced late summer per the 2Q quarterly report, and betas started rolling off in November per the 3Q quarterly report.

I believe that at a high level, alphas are the first 'real' version of the finalized design, and betas are updated to address any issues that crop up / lessons learned from the production of the alphas.

whats the difference between betas an alphas?
AFAIK, generally, an alpha is a hand-made or limited automation-made vehicle to ensure that design intent can be rendered into physical form. Betas are manufacturing test models, to ensure and perfect the automated production of the designs confirmed with the alphas at necessary speed and cost. Of course, even after production commences, further automation and manufacturing improvements are made.

They could also be testing the majority of the features inside. They have several large empty warehouses, and most of the tests can be conducted inside.

You can't anticipate everything that will happen in the real world, and thus there is no substitute for real world testing. And why construct an expensive simulated environment, when you can take it out on the streets and test for much less money? I'm sure they are doing some testing indoors, but it doesn't make sense that they'd still be doing all their testing that way, if they really are going to deliver the car to customers this year.

You have to believe Tesla when they say they are testing beta units, because otherwise it would mean they are lying to shareholders and that carries serious repercussions. Why hasn't anyone managed to catch it yet? It could be as simple as they are testing it primarily at night where it would be more difficult to recognize or take a quality photo. They could also be testing in a remote area where it's less likely they would be caught by someone who recognizes what is being tested.

Professional automotive spy photographers depend on tips from insiders and staking out areas where manufacturers historically test in order to catch new products. In the U.S., this most commonly happens in southeast Miichigan where the domestic auto industry is based, as well as in the mountains of Colorado for high altitude testing during warmer months. Since there is no reason for Tesla to test in either of these areas right now, it's less likely a professional would catch them.

I know we are all anxious to see the production version, but Tesla will do their best to make sure it is revealed on their terms.