Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes the simplest answer is the truth. Model X mules being tested are the betas with real body panels. All the changes are inside the car.

Go go look at the Model S prototype revealed in 2009. You'll see some slight differences compared to the production model but it's all in the front facias. Its the inside that changed.
Agreed. There is no way at this late stage that there is going to be a major redesign to the body shape versus what we are seeing being tested. The wrapping they are using is intentionally making the design look uglier than it will be in its final form, which is causing people to overreact and dislike the design. I'm not sure what older body panels they would be using anyway, as most of the design work was done on computer and all the major changes would have been done in the 20 months between the second prototype being shown and the first alphas being built.

There are a few obvious changes that haven't been noted. The side window trim extends slightly ahead of the front doors now instead of being even with the front of the door. This allows the windshield to be pushed out slightly more and increase aerodynamics. The pattern in the taillights now resembles the Model S more closely, with a C-shaped inner section rather than a flat line. Of course, much of the detail is still covered up. I do think the final version will draw many comparisons to a heightened Model S, which for better or worse it is, but the many special features that go above and beyond what Model S offers will put it in a class by itself.

What a designer or one that is realy interessen in cars call big changes, can be minor og none for other people.
Big changes from test cars on the road to final production, why is it tested on the road at all. Could use a Model S boddy instead. :)

This is not the final design according to a quit good source. In a Swedish forum there is one that had the opotiunity because different reason to visit the tesla factory for some mounts ago. He could just see the new version at a distance and a 3d model on a computer and according to him the picture that have come up in this thread and this video is just different alpa versions and the final version is still not shown. He say that it will shock us when the final version is shown so we just have to wait. Of course he have writh under that he is not aloud to tell much about the final product but he have let slip some information. He did confirm long before tesla did that the Model X will have a hitch, he have also said that even if you don't count the falcon doors and the special seats at the second road whatever it's with them it will be some things in Model X that have never before been in a car so it's quit exiting to see the final product.

This.

I've stayed mostly quiet on this thread because I'm just not with the majority thinking we've finally spotted the X. I'm sure we have not. That's why I've stayed out of all the speculation about wheel base size based on measurements, etc. And I try not to think about what's coming, mostly because whatever I come up with will undoubtedly be wrong. So this post rings true to me.

Subaru analogy:

Too long to be a Forester so aim to be an Outback but with even higher axles and bigger wheels, at least optionally. More ground clearance and of course air susp on top of that. TM is doing major redesign here, else it would just be an S done up as a mini-van and we would have seen it already.
--

This.

I've stayed mostly quiet on this thread because I'm just not with the majority thinking we've finally spotted the X. I'm sure we have not. That's why I've stayed out of all the speculation about wheel base size based on measurements, etc. And I try not to think about what's coming, mostly because whatever I come up with will undoubtedly be wrong. So this post rings true to me.

I agree completely. I think people's doubt that this is not the final styling comes out of panic that the car might be delayed again, and it's difficult to see how they can be testing cars at this late date that are not close to the final version.

As was stated earlier, they don't have to road-test the body. Is Elon going to say you won't see it until it's ready for delivery, then slap a little duct tape over the nose cone and drive it around town?

I live in an area where a LOT of automobile road testing takes place. Yesterday I saw 8 full-size Mercury Grand Marquis driving down the road (they don't make those anymore). The tires stuck out about 3" from the body on each side, so they were testing components from some other vehicle. Point is, what you see being road tested has nothing to do with what is being released until they are ready for you to see it.

I think several automakers had time to copy aspects of the Model S styling BEFORE it was delivered, and they don't want that to happen again.

My interest is peaked, what could be the final shocking design. Are we talking minor changes or major body panel changes. The wait is killing me and wonder when we will see the real thing.

I'm thinking that people should not get their hopes up on a "shocking" redesign. It's most likely IMO going to be similar to what we've seen so far.

Tesla locked in the final specs of the Model X last year, and they would have had to be road testing cars of this spec for some time. Tesla simply cannot keep this off the roads, because they have to verify how the body performs in the outside world.

Everyone should remember the hype over last week's press conference. Elon announced an OTA update, and that turned into all sorts of wild speculation here: secret battery capacity unlocking, metal air battery boosters, Superchargers at Sears, and more. The actual announcement? An OTA software update. I would be very surprised if the final Model X exterior was radically different from what's already been shown via spy photos and Tesla's own teaser image that was mailed out last year to reservation holders.

I think several automakers had time to copy aspects of the Model S styling BEFORE it was delivered, and they don't want that to happen again.

Even 3 years after the Model S launch I can't think of anything that looks like it tries to copy aspects of the S.

In any case, it's not easy to chase another company's styling. It takes years to design a car, and even minor changes can cascade into major redesign requirements. I remember that Elon was unhappy with the door on a Lotus glider when the Roadster was being designed, and the Lotus people told him that changes to the door would be fairly disruptive to the overall design. By the time someone else has copied Tesla's design, it's years too late and Tesla will have moved on to the next big thing.

GM has entire labs devoted to breaking down and 3D scanning the competition's products. The Malibu still isn't the same caliber as a Honda Accord. Copying and chasing is not a winning strategy. I doubt Tesla is worried about it.

...as i've been suggesting all this time:

after all these years, every sneak pic piles more evidence that....almost nothing has changed in styling from its earliest public prototype. some ppl kept saying "just wait till the real reveal, this is just the pre-alpha (or whatever the new terminology)" but we just see the same beluga whale. ...

And I'm quite fine with that. I rather liked the prototype… er… "beluga whale". The only thing I don't particularly care for is the black plastic nosecone and I harbor some hope still that they're creating an illusion of the nosecone with their camouflage. :) Or at least covering the fact that they've started using color-coordinated pieces. But even if it's still the same Model S nosecone I can live with it.

I think some folks have come to expect that there must be a radical exterior redesign to justify the 3-year delay. I'd rather the time was spent in other areas. I put in a reservation based on what I saw, not with the idea that the final product would necessarily be strikingly different in appearance.

Even 3 years after the Model S launch I can't think of anything that looks like it tries to copy aspects of the S.

I guess it's that I don't own a Model S, so I don't see one every day. he Maserati fools me every time.

mas.jpg
tesla.jpg

Jag's get me, too.

jag.jpg

I don't have a real reason to think there'll be any copiers...

cx.jpg
x.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oddly, the Maserati front reminds me of… Fisker Karma :p

Definitely a resemblance with the Jag, but I'm fairly certain that people actually accused Tesla of stealing Jaguar styling, not the other way around.

Right. Nobody wants to get too far away from the trends, but they all seem to look similar. I tried to delete the MX/Mazda comparison for the same reason but couldn't. Too many Mazda ties, so regretted putting it up.

... The only thing I don't particularly care for is the black plastic nosecone and I harbor some hope still that they're creating an illusion of the nosecone with their camouflage. :)

You know, I feel the same way about the nosecone, but as I was driving along the other day I started looking at vehicles coming from the other direction, wondering what they would look like with no grille at all. I think it might be too unique, and having a big, blank area in the front might not be the right choice in these days when the hairclipper grille seems all the rage.

inf.jpg

So I started thinking of other past cars that had no grille -- mostly air-cooled rear engine jobs.

vw.jpg
corv.jpg

Infiniti tried it for a while (I always thought it looked like a bar of soap)

q.jpg

Some electric or aero cars have what I call "vestigial" grilles -- often because they are converted ICE's

kia.jpg
vw2.jpg

I'd include the Leaf's charge door in this category

leaf.jpg

I never say bad things about this car, but it's still a little "out there" in styling

ev1.jpg

I guess my point is, I don't know that I like the nosecone, but I probably like it better than having nothing on the front.

The Model X, one angry bird, cause its nose is out of joint over a cone.

I actually like it, gives it great distinction from other vehicles. Hopefully it'll be similar to the white prototype along with the lights cause it reminds me of Red. And with signature red, It'll surely be putting a feather in my cap. :)

Angry-Birds-NSA.jpg

the outback absolutely revolutionized subaru's balance sheets, not to mention popularizing the CUV in this continent.
if the X achieves even 10% of that, Tesla can pat itself.

I think the X will be up to the challenge.

For one thing, I expect it to be very popular in the taxi and especially black car fleets - lots of room for people, fancy reputation, and low running costs.

It also seems like a natural for police fleets, though it will likely take them a while to break with tradition.

And of course, there's at least 20,000 people who are convinced they want one even though they haven't seen it yet. :)
Walter

You know, I feel the same way about the nosecone, but as I was driving along the other day I started looking at vehicles coming from the other direction, wondering what they would look like with no grille at all. I think it might be too unique, and having a big, blank area in the front might not be the right choice in these days when the hairclipper grille seems all the rage.

View attachment 75526

So I started thinking of other past cars that had no grille -- mostly air-cooled rear engine jobs.

View attachment 75527View attachment 75528

Infiniti tried it for a while (I always thought it looked like a bar of soap)

View attachment 75529

Some electric or aero cars have what I call "vestigial" grilles -- often because they are converted ICE's

View attachment 75531View attachment 75532

I'd include the Leaf's charge door in this category

View attachment 75533

I never say bad things about this car, but it's still a little "out there" in styling

View attachment 75534

I guess my point is, I don't know that I like the nosecone, but I probably like it better than having nothing on the front.

The overbearing grille is definitely common these days but not my taste at all. That Lexus is a monstrosity, imho.

I like the other examples particularly the EV-1. Form should follow function. And the only thing worse than an oversized grille is a faux grille.