Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As to why Tesla was driving this X on an Alameda NAS airstrip, I have no idea. It does seem odd given that there is a big test track at the Fremont factory. Maybe Elon just wanted to mess with our heads... ;-)

My guess is that these "spy" photos are meant to assure fans and others that the X is real and driving around. It's good to finally see the X in the real world.

The camo X likely has some fake body pieces on it, including around the Falcon Wing doors, and that combined with the confusing graphics plastered over the real body panels makes it impossible to see the actual design of the X. So all this speculation about what the camo X shows about the production version is just speculation.

Seriously, have some of you lost your minds? You're commenting on the looks and design of a heavily camouflaged vehicle. Do you understand what camouflage means?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/camouflage

It is absolutely hideous. The Prius and Pontiac Aztek references are spot on. It is a beta though and heavily camouflaged, but you would think they would have toned down the hideousness so as not to scare people.

The brown concept vehicle on the website was not the best looking car. The Star Wars follow up was a huge improvement and I am sure that we will see something closer to this when it is finally revealed.

Just watched the YouTube video on YouTube and saw that the video was taken from a skatepark. Ha. Yeah, if there were any doubt about how public TM wanted this to be, I think that settles it.

So, from here, then.

Google Maps

And if you look at the Google image, you'll see there was actually a manufacturer ride-and-drive set up on that same runway when the sat pic was snapped.

As to why Tesla was driving this X on an Alameda NAS airstrip, I have no idea. It does seem odd given that there is a big test track at the Fremont factory. Maybe Elon just wanted to mess with our heads... ;-)

They have have a lot of options on a big open tarmac that they don't have on the Fremont test track. The test track is only good if they want to do banked turns of a certain radius. Besides, if they really wanted to be spotted, the Fremont test track is exactly where they would go.

Assuming the wheelbase is the same length and the perspective distortion isn't too bad, the mule looks bigger than the old prototype.

View attachment 70756
View attachment 70757

There's some parallax in the spy shot; you can see the rear of the car. So we're seeing at maybe a 5-10 degree offset from the studio shot, which is perpendicular to the center of the car. This would result in the wheelbase of the spy shot appearing shorter than it is.

Tinkering around....

Here's a closer/zoomed version of the video and some still frames I made. Not much new to discern but maybe someone will find these useful:
This video is not "monetized" or anything but I'll pull it if the original poster requests I do so.

MX1.jpg

MX2.jpg

MX3.jpg

MX4.jpg

MX5.jpg

MX1.jpg

MX7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: