TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where is the new Supercharger going to be in NJ ? Any confirms?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by AprilDelivery??, Jun 9, 2013.

1. AprilDelivery??

Where is the new Supercharger going to be in NJ? I heard Molly Pitcher service area, exit 7A, 8 or near Trenton area. I saw on this forum that somebody scoured those areas and didn't find any new construction. I went to the Milford. Ct supercharger last week and saw that a service area 13 miles south ,there was construction and that service area was shut down due to construction, plus I saw a tall crane which is probably used for putting solar panels on the roof of the gas station.

2. Enadler

Enadler Member

No confirmation but I was told by Tesla Service that they heard Guy Lombardo Service Center on the Tpke. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

3. ModelS8794

ModelS8794 Member

Do you mean Vince Lombardi? That would work in both directions, while Molly Pritcher and Joyce Kilmer are one direction only. So that would be sensible. Vince Lombardi is 130 miles from Newark supercharger, and is closer to manhatten than the others too. Overall I'd be pleased with either choice.

4. Enadler

Enadler Member

Lol yes Vince! Not confirmed but it would be a gret location.

5. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Imagine the irony if they place one at the Thomas Edison Service Area!

6. Enadler

Enadler Member

+1 :)

7. herbvdh

herbvdh Member

I have a friend that parks there every day. I will ask him if he has seen anything yet.

8. herbvdh

herbvdh Member

I spoke to my friend about this but he has not seen anything at all. So I told him to keep me posted if he does see anything. Unfortunately he is retiring and moving when his house sells.

9. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

Have not seen or heard anything, but very much want to know. In the zone of exit 7 might also work for East/West commutes on I195 with small diversion.

If it lands between exits 7 and 8, I'd lobby to get a Roadster HPC there as well...definitely close enough for me to use time to time.

10. AprilDelivery??

I spoke to the Tesla Short Hills Store and they said that the supercharger is in NJ by Exit 14 I-95 . Anybody else hear or see anything?

11. Enadler

Enadler Member

Did they mention an approximate date?

12. AprilDelivery??

They said in the next few weeks. Which means probably means the end of July?

13. ModelS8794

ModelS8794 Member

#13 ModelS8794, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
    Exit 14 is right above Newark airport, no rest stop so far as I can tell. Doesn't seem a likely spot but perhaps they had too much trouble securing any rest stop areas. Hmmm...

14. AprilDelivery??

They said in the area where I-95 meets I-80 or I-78. Because along I-80 they are suppose build superchargers all along till Chicago and then till theWest Coast.

15. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

Exit 14 (on the Turnpike (95)) has Rt 78 crossing it, as well as Rt 1 and Rt 22, as well as the Turnpike extension going to the Holland Tunnel. A very congested area.

Route 80 crosses the Turnpike a bit to the North, maybe 15-20 miles.

On a side note, months back there was speculation of a SC at the southbound Molly Pitcher rest area (around exit 8 I think)...well today I stopped there and saw no signs of any SC construction.

16. AprilDelivery??

If you look at the Tesla supercharger map it does show a dot right by Staten Island and Northern NJ , like by Elizabeth NJ Exit 14 , 13. I don't think its further south like Trenton. I think they want closer it to Nyc , by I-78, I-80 with I-95.

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

From a purely selfish perspective, I'd love it at exit 14ish, as I take 78 and 22 when heading into NYC.

18. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

I'll be in jersey city tonight and can scope out Newark onwards if anyone has suggestions.

19. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I drive from exit 4 to exit 16E daily for work. I am the one who periodically scouts out the rest stops in both directions. I have yet to see ANY supercharger installs or markings for installs, and I also don't expect to see any soon either. A lead Tesla Manager told me they were in talks with NJ DOT officials but they will not allow any Tesla supercharger installs because it is 'specific' to Tesla and if NJ is going to approve anything, it must be generic so that ALL EVs can use it. This rules out any NJ Tesla superchargers. Tesla has counter offered to do both Tesla Supercharger + generic Chargepoint stations side by side, but NJ rejected it on the same basis that the Tesla ones cannot be used by other non-Tesla EVs. The last thing he told me was that Tesla scouting out off-highway locations and is likely just going to buy some private property close to an exit somewhere (therefore not at a rest stop), and put the superchargers there. Since it's private property they can do whatever they want.

This update is only 2/3 weeks old so unless something has changed since then it's unlikely we'll see superchargers are a rest stop on the highways.

20. AprilDelivery??

That enforces what I was saying somewhere by Exit 14 on private land not a public rest stop since there are no rest areas by Exit 14.