Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the new Supercharger going to be in NJ ? Any confirms?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great news! Any idea of timing from this point? I know most superchargers have taken 3-5 weeks from their start, I was just curious if anybody said anything more specific, either about start date or expected total time.

Thanks for the update!

Great to hear!! It's a crucial SC, especially for owners of a 60 like myself heading south to Newark DE. Now if only it gets completed before my trip to FL the last week of February. Most likely not, but glad to finally have Jersey join the SC club. May we see MA, ME, VT and NH join the club soon. NY also needs a few more besides JFK.
Tesla should be ready to start rather soon, maybe tomorrow! There should be some free SC crews ready to break ground.

Please post any signs of construction.

Great to hear!! It's a crucial SC, especially for owners of a 60 like myself heading south to Newark DE. Now if only it gets completed before my trip to FL the last week of February. Most likely not, but glad to finally have Jersey join the SC club. May we see MA, ME, VT and NH join the club soon. NY also needs a few more besides JFK.
Tesla should be ready to start rather soon, maybe tomorrow! There should be some free SC crews ready to break ground.

Please post any signs of construction.

this was simply a zoning board and design approval. I wasn't there but from what I've heard they still need to apply for permits and other variances. this is not likely to be done before March/April.

this was simply a zoning board and design approval. I wasn't there but from what I've heard they still need to apply for permits and other variances. this is not likely to be done before March/April.

Correct. Tesla showed the board 4 or 5 different options for the design of the fence surrounding the charging equipment, and the board decided which they liked.

Talking to Tesla's Attorney afterwards, he did say it will take close to a month for it to be adopted (I think that was the term) and during the end of that time they will have to get the permits also. So we are looking at the earliest the first or second week of March for construction to begin. He indicated it should start soon after they get the permits.

He also said that Tesla (but not him) is still working with the Turnpike Authority in discussions for two rest area (he didn't say if it was the Parkway or Turnpike) locations, one in the north (Bergen County he mentioned), and one in the south. He didn't have specifics because he was not working on that. Others have said this likely won't happen, so I would not count on these extra ones until we get more information.

It was wishful thinking that construction would start that quickly. Hopefully the other permits don't take as long.
It's just good to finally see progress. Also glad to hear that they are working on other sites. Should have plenty of charging choices by the middle of summer.
Thanks guys for the updates and keep us informed on the progress. Blueshift should add Edison to the wiki map.

Exact Approved Edison, NJ Supercharger Location:

Menlo Park Mall
181 Lafayette Ave, Edison, NJ
40.544494,-74.334111 - Google Maps

Approved Transformer Design Reference:
edisondesign.jpg

2nd NJ supercharger?

Now that the "coming soon" map has been updated, I wonder if it's time to do a little speculation / scavenger hunting for NJ's 2nd supercharger...

My best guess: Hamilton Marketplace on Route 130, just south of I-195 (exit 5A). There are lots of restaurants nearby, plus a Hilton Garden Inn, and it's relatively close to the Turnpike (~2 miles) and I-295 (~5 miles).

I also remember reading earlier speculation that it would be a bit further north, like East Windsor or Hightstown. In that case, it looks like Route 33 near the Turnpike has quite a few hotels and a couple restaurants, and Route 130 near the Hightstown Bypass (Route 133) has a lot of restaurants.

Now that the "coming soon" map has been updated, I wonder if it's time to do a little speculation / scavenger hunting for NJ's 2nd supercharger...

My best guess: Hamilton Marketplace on Route 130, just south of I-195 (exit 5A). There are lots of restaurants nearby, plus a Hilton Garden Inn, and it's relatively close to the Turnpike (~2 miles) and I-295 (~5 miles).

I also remember reading earlier speculation that it would be a bit further north, like East Windsor or Hightstown. In that case, it looks like Route 33 near the Turnpike has quite a few hotels and a couple restaurants, and Route 130 near the Hightstown Bypass (Route 133) has a lot of restaurants.

That would be a great location.

Selfishly, I would much rather see one out on the Shore; I am not sure sticking another one on or near the Turnpike makes a whole lot of sense, since Edison and Delaware are going to be so close together. I'd personally much rather see one at the intersection of the Garden State and the AC Expressway, which would be helpful both for people making the drive to south shore point from NYC and to people making the AC run.

Selfishly, I would much rather see one out on the Shore; I am not sure sticking another one on or near the Turnpike makes a whole lot of sense, since Edison and Delaware are going to be so close together. I'd personally much rather see one at the intersection of the Garden State and the AC Expressway, which would be helpful both for people making the drive to south shore point from NYC and to people making the AC run.

Wouldn't Tom's River make more sense as that would be highway and not destination charging? Not to mention it wouldn't require backtracking for the majority of shorepoints? 50 Miles between Toms River and AC.

Wouldn't Tom's River make more sense as that would be highway and not destination charging? Not to mention it wouldn't require backtracking for the majority of shorepoints? 50 Miles between Toms River and AC.

Toms River would be ok for the shore, but wouldn't help much for those bound for AC/the shore from Philly and points west and south.

The Garden State/AC Expwy intersection is far enough from the hotels in AC that I don't think it would count as destination charging.

Toms River would be ok for the shore, but wouldn't help much for those bound for AC/the shore from Philly and points west and south.

The Garden State/AC Expwy intersection is far enough from the hotels in AC that I don't think it would count as destination charging.

Really, they both would be good spots.. But I do know the Borgata has NEMA 14-50's in the parking garage. Just ask the valet to plug it in.

I'd love to see a Supercharger in South Jersey.