Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the push to get the current administration to extend tax breaks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering why we've haven't heard more about pushing the current administration (Obama) to extend and expand tax credits?

Where are the petitions, activists, etc?

Particularly now with the low cost of petroleum.

If this administration truly believes in the dangers of climate change, etc, then why no action?

The $7,500 credit that is slowly dwindling down. With all the last minute initiatives being pushed by the Obama admin I would expect something from them to keep the EV momentum going.

Particularly since oil prices will be really low for the foreseeable future.

Perhaps the VW lawsuits and the Amtrak delays will provide the Federal Government with enough "discretionary cash" to provide those investing in improving infrastructure, creating jobs, and investing in sustainable energy production without needing the support of Congress?

A 10-20 cent increase to the federal gasoline tax would also make a lot of sense and would make it possible for the Federal Government to increase incentives for all EV's (under $45,000), and make EV's affordable for everyone. There is no valid reason for the gasoline tax to be as low as it is.

• Disagree
Reactions: M0DEL³
Perhaps the VW lawsuits and the Amtrak delays will provide the Federal Government with enough "discretionary cash" to provide those investing in improving infrastructure, creating jobs, and investing in sustainable energy production without needing the support of Congress?

A 10-20 cent increase to the federal gasoline tax would also make a lot of sense and would make it possible for the Federal Government to increase incentives for all EV's (under $45,000), and make EV's affordable for everyone. There is no valid reason for the gasoline tax to be as low as it is.

I respect your proposal to increase the federal gasoline tax to subsidize a more wide spread adoption of BEVs. However, I think a more sensible use of those funds would be to use those funds to bring our streets and highways back to good condition. At least in California, there are billions and billions of dollars (I don't know how much) of deferred maintenance on our highways because there just is not enough money. . .

Reactions: drinkerofkoolaid

I would prefer that we just have neither. The less we can get the government involved the better. Great cars at compelling prices will let the market pick winners.