TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where is the push to get the current administration to extend tax breaks?

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by James Anders, Apr 5, 2016.

1. James Anders

James Anders Member

Just wondering why we've haven't heard more about pushing the current administration (Obama) to extend and expand tax credits?

Where are the petitions, activists, etc?

Particularly now with the low cost of petroleum.

If this administration truly believes in the dangers of climate change, etc, then why no action?

2. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

because there is no urgency to do so at the moment. At most, a single company has used about half of the original allotment. Once we start seeing the limit being exhausted I believe it will be addressed.

3. miimura

miimura Active Member

Wait a minute... are we talking about the EV Tax Credit or the Investment Tax Credit (ie. renewable energy)???

4. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

Good question. I assumed he meant the EV credit, but I may be wrong.

5. James Anders

James Anders Member

The $7,500 credit that is slowly dwindling down. With all the last minute initiatives being pushed by the Obama admin I would expect something from them to keep the EV momentum going.

Particularly since oil prices will be really low for the foreseeable future.

6. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

If only it could be done by Executive Order...or is it an Executive Action??....

7. drinkerofkoolaid

drinkerofkoolaid Active Member

Perhaps the VW lawsuits and the Amtrak delays will provide the Federal Government with enough "discretionary cash" to provide those investing in improving infrastructure, creating jobs, and investing in sustainable energy production without needing the support of Congress?

A 10-20 cent increase to the federal gasoline tax would also make a lot of sense and would make it possible for the Federal Government to increase incentives for all EV's (under $45,000), and make EV's affordable for everyone. There is no valid reason for the gasoline tax to be as low as it is.

• Dislike x 1
  8. cpa

cpa Member

I respect your proposal to increase the federal gasoline tax to subsidize a more wide spread adoption of BEVs. However, I think a more sensible use of those funds would be to use those funds to bring our streets and highways back to good condition. At least in California, there are billions and billions of dollars (I don't know how much) of deferred maintenance on our highways because there just is not enough money. . .

• Like x 1
  9. Craig9080

Craig9080 Member

I would prefer that we just have neither. The less we can get the government involved the better. Great cars at compelling prices will let the market pick winners.

• Like x 2