TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where is the SIM card located?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Pollux, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Pollux

Pollux Member

Hi,

Where is the SIM card to be found?

I've found enough rationale in the forums to believe that it's highly likely that the car is using a GSM-based 3G standard, which would make sense for a car being delivered into European as well as American markets. I've searched the docs accessible to me as an owner-to-be (delivery date Aug 11). And the forums (including volkerize.com). Threads that have previously asked or included this question invariably digress. No one appears to have definitively answered the question. I hope one of the previous owners who enjoys delving into the car's innards might have an answer.

So: user-accessible or not; where exactly is the Model S' SIM card?

Thanks!

Alan

2. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

3. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

The Rav4 EV has an ATT SIM card inside the gateway ECU. I don't think the Model S uses that same ECU(which communicates with Toyota systems), but there is a good chance that the model s uses the same AT&T setup.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Looks like speculation, to me.

5. Pollux

Pollux Member

Thank you all for your thoughts. No closer to a physical location... but the lead to the console discussion & photos was particularly interesting - thanks, @NielsChr.

6. wdimagineer

wdimagineer Member

The GSM specification mandates a SIM card. It's not "on a chip" somewhere in the car. I suspect it's either in the 3G data module or in another location that is accessible in the event it needed to be replaced.

7. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

See "SIM on chip":
    Component M2M SIM, SIM-Chip | ChipHelp, Semiconductor Industry
    GSM/GPRS

Used in M2M applications, the chip part of the SIM is put into a surface-mount package. Makes it much more robust and harder to get to.

It would also more constrained for Tesla with a global rollout. Much easier to use a standard SIM package.

8. wdimagineer

wdimagineer Member

Correct. But it's still accessible to a degree in that it's not soldered to a board and can be changed.

I wonder if the gsm hardware varies by country?

9. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

SIM-on-chips are surface mount packages - machine soldered to the module. Can also be dual-SIM design, with empty socket for different carrier.

Hard to find 3G/4G M2M modules that do all frequency bands. Normally two different - one for US and another for Europe. But, it really depends on the chosen carrier.

10. Pollux

Pollux Member

@wdimagineer, @markwj - useful points. I lean towards a service-replaceable module, even if the SIM turns out to be a surface-mount package along with other things on that module. But I speculate.

Does Tesla not make available wiring diagrams, block diagrams, whatever, of their car's components? Do other manufacturers make such stuff available? If not, how do third party service stations exist at all?

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Nope. To the distress of some who'd like to do their own servicing or mods.

For Tesla, they don't exist.

12. wdimagineer

wdimagineer Member

I should think at some point they would need to after the factory warranty expires. I'm not an expert in consumer laws in the USA but I suspect something like this would be covered.

Even if Tesla doesn't provide it I imagine another company like Bentley might.

13. Mark Petersen

Mark Petersen Model S EU P71

Well if any of you are willing to do an experiment.
    I have a gsm base station we can connect the car to, and that way see witch provider and the IMEI it has
    I will be at BurningMan, where there is no signal, except for our camp's network
    we might even be able to snif the traffic between the car and tesla
    Alternative we can try in SF, but that require that there is an option to select provider, as it will be hard to get it to switch network

14. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

The SIM card is on the Tegra 3 motherboard behind the 17" center console screen. Standard size SIM card in a standard slotted holder.

I took my lower dash trim off a while back to look around and could clearly see it behind the screen. Unfortunately it appears you'd have to take the screen off to get at it as the motherboard is surrounded by a steel RF cage. LOTS of blinkenlights on there, btw. Lit up like a Christmas tree.

Blurry cam photos:
    IMAG0172.jpg

SIM card is in a standard holder on the bottom right side of the motherboard. Hard to see in this photo, but it was clear to the naked eye.
    IMAG0187.jpg

15. Pollux

Pollux Member

@Mark Petersen - wonderful idea. I hope you can find a willing partner at Burning Man and then share the results. Sadly, I will not be at Burning Man so unable to volunteer my vehicle. But if you and your GSM base station were to pass through Boston, I'd be happy to put you up at my house and we could give it all a try.

@EarlyAdopter - THANK YOU for nailing it!!

16. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

17. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

So there is a SIM-card in there! And the whole 3G module seems to be a separate unit which can be replaced. I'm just wondering why it says AT&T on the Qualcomm chip?

18. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That's the carrier in the US they use and looks like just a label on the chip. The fact it is separate is good news. Wonder how easy it is for them to get to it.

19. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

LTE Module here we come.....I hope.....Soon.....